Part-time instructors - help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Carmen13, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Hi. Is anyone here a part-time instructor?

I applied to a few part-time positions in the area of mathematics, and this is a first for me. I would like to know what to expect, concerning a possible interview, the salary, etc.
    Any input would be helpful!

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

I just applied to for a part-time math position too--I have the same questions as you do.

4. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully someone will help us out.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2009

Hi, Carmen!

I'm guessing you've applied at a community college. Generally part-time instructors are hired to teach one or more specific classes; salary is paid per class and it's calculated as a specific percentage of FTE (=full-time equivalent; the full-time load for a professor varies from institution to institution, but it's usually in the range of three to four courses a term, depending on whether the term is a quarter or a semester). There's probably a pay scale online somewhere; in these parts, a semester class goes for about $3000, I think.

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

Teachergroupie--the one I applied for is on an elementary level--ever heard of this??

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2009

Part time on the elementary level? Interesting. If it's a permanent job, you're likelier to get paid holidays and possibly paid sick leave; whether you get other and more interesting benefits will depend on the contract. I'm afraid I have no idea what the pay scale would be, though.

8. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

Hi TeacherGroupie, thank you for the information!
    I applied at a Community College, a Catholic University and a local branch of a State University. But I haven't been called for any interview yet...
    Usually the Colleges ask for at least one year of College teaching experience, so I don't know if I even stand a chance.

I would also like to know if the courses named Pre-Algebra and Algebra include the same content as the ones taught in High School.

And I am trying to find out a website that has a detailed description of the Secondary Math Curriculum for PA.

A bunch of questions, I know!

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

Teacher Groupie thanks for the info.
    There are 2 districts that have "part-time" positions for teachers in my area. I'm guessing these are similar to a shared position, possibly the existing teacher just wants/can only teach LA or something or maybe just wants to work 1/2 day and the district is willing to do it. It would actually work out well for me, so we'll see what happens.

10. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

So a full-time instructor you be paid $24,000 a year at the most?:eek:hmy:

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2009

In my district, your salary would be pro-rated according to how much of the full-time week you work...They pretty much figure it by 1/2 day increments, 10 increments makes a full work week..so someone that works .5 (2 1/2 full days, 1/2 day all week or some combination), they would get 1/2 of the salary at that step of the guide. We have people who work various increments. Some of these positions do not come with benefits...

12. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

I can't find a payscale online...And I don't know the number of courses per semester that a full-time instructor teaches. Yes, I do have a feeling that the part-time positions don't come with benefits.

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

It couldn't possibly be because they don't want to pay benefits, could it?!??!?!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2009

Community colleges in particular tend to depend very heavily on the part-timers - in these parts, one sometimes hears them called "freeway faculty" because, to make ends meet, they work multiple part-time teaching jobs (sometimes on top of a day job that has nothing to do with teaching). Yet another case in which the budget is balanced on the backs of the teachers.

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2009

I've worked part time, and I've worked two half-time jobs.

The way they do it in my district is they have what are called FTEs (Full Time Equivalents)... Most teachers are considered to be a 1.0 FTE. However, some teachers are allotted less time, because they are in a specialty area such as Music or Phys Ed, Resource or Behaviour Intervention. Of course, our Vice Principals generally teach part time as well, so for instance my VP teaches 0.6 (I think) and then does her 0.4 in the office.

My first year teaching I did a 0.7 FTE in Resource, and this past year I did two 0.5 FTEs at two separate schools in Behaviour Intervention.

In both cases, I was still covered by the contract. I still have "recall rights" (I get a position the next year before new people can get into the district, as long as I'm qualified to teach.) I think any less than 0.25 and you no longer get the benefits. As far as pay was concerned, obviously last year I got full pay, but the year before I just got 70% of the pay a normal teacher would make in their first year at my certification level.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2009

I taught a grad class for a few semesters- I was paid a 'per semester' flat fee. Many of the instructors I know who teach grad classes or PD classes through universities get paid per class that they teach...Usually about $2000 for the semester per class.

17. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

I have worked part-time positions in Portugal, but at a High School level. The salary is payed in proportion to the number of hours taught, just the same way as some of you described.

The grad class was how many of hours per week, czacza?

Do all the classes have more or less the same number of hours per week?

18. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

I know that I would have to teach multiple part-time jobs, to make this work somehow...
    I applied to three different Colleges and haven't heard from any so far...I am trying to stay positive, but it is hard.

19. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

Yup...I have been there - in a bad economy. What's happening in USA feels like a "déjá vu" to me sometimes...Hope I'm wrong!

20. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 22, 2009

We must keep the faith!

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

Scheduled for 4 1/2 hours per week (all in one night!) for 10 weeks and some nights we ended early if we finished everything...Plus lots of hours every week planning, reading projects, copying things...Wow...it was a lot of work but I loved pushing myself out of my regular comfort zone...I would do it again.

22. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks for the info, czacza!
    Some classes I applied to are 2 1/2 hours a week, some are 4 hours a week (different subjects). I know that it would be a lot of work, but I can take it! Let's hope I am given a chance...

23. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Got a call today from one College...the two classes I applied for are already staffed...
    Question: Do you think one needs to have connections, to be hired at a College?:confused:

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2009

Connections can certainly help, Carmen. My sympathies.

25. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 23, 2009

Thanks TG...
    I wonder if I will be kept at the bottom of the list for a while...

26. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jul 23, 2009

I job-share in 7th grade science. The two of us are each at different places on the salary schedule, so whatever we'd each make in a full time position, it's cut in half. Oh and no benefits.

27. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Are there no College instructors/assistants/professors in here? I thought there was a Math professor? :help:

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

That would be HMM, I think, or maybe innovationguy.

29. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Thank you again, TeacherGroupie...Maybe one of them -or other College teachers- sees this post.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

HMM's posted in the last few days: you might try PM-ing him.

You could also try seeing if there are companies in your area that provide supplementary tutoring in schools under the provisions of No Child Left Behind.

Once you start making a name for yourself locally, more things are likely to open up.

31. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Thanks for the all the suggestions TG...I will take them into consideration.
    I don't want to sound pessimistic to you! I know that getting a job under my circumstances will take time, but I am confidant that I will find something!

32. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2009

Hi Carmen,

I teach a math class part-time in the vocational education area at a local community college. Pay depends on the number of hours taught per semester, number of years worked (full-time equivalent) and education. I make about $60 per classroom hour, office hours, and pre-service time with no benefits to speak of. Total for a single 3 semester unit class involving around 50 classroom hours is a bit over $3,300.

I am not paid for the time I spend preparing lessons, grading, writing tests, etc. So, I minimize the time I spend in those areas where I can. I give two multiple choice tests, a midterm and a final, and scan the results, so I don't spend much time grading tests. I don't grade homework, just check it twice a semester for completion and give credit based on that. Answers to the odd questions are in the book and we go over any problems the class has trouble with.

A full load at my college would be 15 units. If the college can staff those 15 units with part-timers, it costs them $15,000. If they have to use full time faculty, it can cost three times as much. So, in California, many classes are taught by Adjunct Professors (part-timers). The ones who try to make a living do so are called "freeway flyers" because they spend a lot of time driving between campuses.

Basic qualification to teach at community college level in California is MA. In some cases, mostly in vocational education, a BA or even AA will do with additional experience. However, many profs have PhDs because there are more PhDs looking for teaching jobs than there are jobs a four year universities.

As for part-time in a public K12 position, around here, the pay scale is the same as for full-timers. The difference is that if you don't work at least a certain load (1/2 or 2/3 depending on the district) you don't get benefits. The work does count towards retirement benefits though.

33. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Thank you so much Malcom. You gave me a "pretty" good idea on what to expect... If I can become a High school teacher, I should go for it...right?

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

I think you'd do splendidly as a high-school or middle-school math teacher, Carmen, and perhaps you could find a part-time college job as well.

35. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

I think you are right TG...
    I know it may be too late for me to start a career at a College/University level. I do love teaching high school, but I also love teaching adults. Maybe I can have a little of both, by following your suggestion.

36. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

I sent a PM to HMM...hope he didn't find that out of line!:blush:

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2009

In California, one other place to look is adult school, which is operated by a high school district for people for whom traditional high school just didn't work, one way or another. I don't know how this gets handled in other states, but you might try Googling for the area plus "adult school" or "GED".

38. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Jul 24, 2009

Thanks TG, I will do that! And many thanks to all of you who posted and offered me some help!

39. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Aug 2, 2009

Just letting you know that I passed the ACTFL Oral proficiency interview with the final rating of Superior. :)
    So the last thing I need to do (before sending my application to the State Department of Education) is writing an essay as a part of the PA standard application. I can't wait to have my certification.

Concerning the positions I applied to, still no feedback.

40. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

Hi everybody...a bit of good news. :D
    I was interviewed yesterday by the Department Chair of Mathematics, at a private university. It was more of an informal talk than a formal interview, I suppose. The lady was really nice and wanted to know about the type of classes I would feel comfortable teaching. She presented me some course books, so I would check the contents and see if I was familiar with the contents and would be interested in teaching those courses. I asked about the teaching methodologies adopted by the teachers there, and she said that each teacher has its own, so I explained mine and she seemed to like it.
    After our conversation, she showed me the Math classrooms, all high school size classrooms equipped with computer/internet, DVD player and projector...really neat! She concluded the interview saying she would most likely have something for me, for the coming semester, and even the following ones, and she would let me know when she knew for sure.
    By the time I was out of there, I had a good feeling that something would be coming my way. I didn't think I would start in August though because the Department Chair said that they hire the teachers at least one month in advance (unless someone they had hired couldn't make it any more).

After the interview, I went out for lunch with my husband. When I got home, two hours after the interview, I checked my email and guess what? The lady had sent me an email asking me if I was interested in teaching one of the courses we talked about, starting in August 26! Of course you guys know what I answered! ;) It's not much, I know, but it is a start and I am really happy that I have an opportunity to work in a College environment and hopefully prove that I can make it!

I know that will be asking "yous" guys a lot of questions soon, so be ready! :)

Thank you again for all your previous input...it was/is helpful already!

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

Carmen, I'd missed that you passed the ACTFL proficiency exam, but that comes as no surprise.

As to the job beginning later this month, tremendous! I'm delighted for you!

("'Yous' guys": yup, sounds like Pennsylvania. Though one has seen that spelled "youse" as well. My favorite for the purpose is the British "you lot", but then I'm an Anglophile.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009