Parents who dread school breaks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 19, 2018

It is a sad situation, but the death of her husband probably was the part that made things impossible.

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2018

Exactly. That's why you need to plan ahead and have all your ducks in a row before you bring children into this world.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2018

The kids always ask me if I have children. I laugh and say "Nope! I'm a teacher and that's ENOUGH for me.''

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 19, 2018

So, you have to plan for every single potential contingency before children are brought into the world?

Most of us shouldn't be here if your standards are adhered to because most families were one disaster away from being financially unsound.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Backroads and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2018

Very explicit. Do NOT watch if you are offended easily. (I won't be surprised if this gets reported and/or modified.)

6. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2018

Perhaps you don't realize just how absurd you're being. The cost of raising a child -- currently -- is over $200,000. That number is only marginally useful for anyone considering having children today, however, because they need to know the total cost of raising a child in 2037. Excluding college. Oh, I'm sorry, I misstated. They need to know the cost of raising their child in 2037. Including health problems, trying to help them achieve personal ambitions, etc.

Do you know what summer camps will be around in 8 years in your area, how much they'll cost, and what your job schedule will be and what their pickup and dropoff schedules are? Do you know what the class dues will be (or that they even have class dues in many places)? Do you know if Diwali will be a celebrated holiday in 10 years (do you think breaks are the same as when you were a kid?)

The fact is, most parents do NOT do a detailed financial analysis on their ability to have children. They estimate whether they think they have enough money, and make a decision.

Do parents know they're going to sacrifice? Sure. And they do make these sacrifices. Maligning parents who are feeling stress about some of the sacrifices that you're not willing to make as "not willing to take responsibility for their children" is kind of insulting. I know you probably don't mean to be, but while your question may be sincere, I don't believe it's legitimate.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2018

Replacement rate is 1.8 children per couple. There are several countries in the world that pay parents directly for births, in addition to paying significantly to help with the cost of raising children, because they are desperate to raise the rate.

Of course, another option is to significantly increase immigration. Somehow, though, I think the people who insist on phrases like, "You breed 'em, you feed 'em", likely aren't clamoring to accept more immigrants from places with lots of children.

Backroads likes this.
  8. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 19, 2018

I'm with you, 3Sons.

I wonder how beliefs that are being discussed here impacts what the public thinks of the profession. It must not be heartening to parents to know that their children are being taught by so many who disdain them for having children. It certainly doesn't make people want to support the profession.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 21, 2018

:handfist:

Virtual fist bump will have to do. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.