Parents who dread school breaks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

Of course it makes sense. For 8 hours and in some cases longer, someone else is playing parent while they sit at home making another little Johnny or Suzie so they can get another check. They know the kids are getting two free meals, supervision, and being someone else's headache. They can take their government assistance and get their nails and hair done, go put some big rims on the Cadillac but the child doesn't even have a pencil or bookbag. Anonymous people on the net won't convince me that deadbeat parents don't exist. These types of parents want the school to raise their children, hence the phrase "waiting on a break".

Guess who else is waiting? Me!

I don't see any big mouths volunteering to take the troublemakers home with them!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 23, 2018

Uncle Sam takes care of everything.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

I didn't say it was 60%, but there are a good portion of unemployed people who are depressed or caring for others who are disabled. Now you are trying the absolute to discredit.

Also, I suspect a larger portion of depressed, mentally ill, disabled, unhealthy to the point of not being able to work but not able to collect disability, or addicted to cluster into poor areas since these things tend to depress income which, in turn, determines where people live. So, maybe not 60%, but a good portion will fit into this category and a higher percentage than those in schools and with higher incomes.

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

Not one person said they don't exist. We said you don't know for sure who is and who is not. So, don't judge what you don't know.

mathmagic likes this.
  5. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

Including bratty, disrespectful kids!

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

You certainly call a lot of people names. It says a lot about your character.

Backroads and mathmagic like this.
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

Could you please point to statistics or interviews where people are actually choosing to have kids to get more money? Sure, financial priorities might be mixed, but then again, that's true of people with/without kids, that's true of teachers, that's true of all - and we don't know the individual situations. Like was said above, the fact that some want some suggestions on working with their child is proof that they want to be better for their child!

So glad my (future) child isn't in your class. Geesh.
    [​IMG]

Backroads and a2z like this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

When you come to school with three and four kids dressed like a hooker with a different colored wig cussing them out and the kids don't have on clean clothes but you have a sweet ride, yea, you're deadbeat. So don't speak on what you don't know. You're not from here and don't know anyone here.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2018

I don’t know how they afford to live in those apartments. I do know the students all receive free lunch, though. I’m just glad they’re not homeless. We have many families that live together (they’re non-kin).

mathmagic likes this.
  10. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

So are you going to volunteer or not ?

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

I hope you have reported that (and other similar situations) to CPS. If not, depending on your state (i.e. if you're a mandatory reporter), you could lose your job and/or face jail time. Be there for the kids, don't just whine about the situation.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

To go to jail for taking kids home? No thank you. It would be illegal to do so.

YoungTeacherGuy and mathmagic like this.
  13. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

I’ve not heard of this before, but I know of one family where the mother routinely brags about how much benefits she gets from the government for each new kid she has. I didn’t believe her when she told me, but she showed me, for example, that she gets $2,500 during tax season for each child and she has 11 (gross). That’s comes out to $27,500, which is outrageous. She should get *nothing* as she paid nothing in taxes all year except sales taxes.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    whizkid likes this.
  14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

Hold on a sec... are you sharing one example? I thought exceptions weren't supposed to be considered... :rolleyes:

15. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

[​IMG]

Mama gots to get paid!

16. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

I'm sorry, but why do you take the IRS standard deduction or itemize your taxes to pay fewer taxes? Why should you decrease your tax burden when you have so much money?

If for some reason your taxes were less than 12K, would you decline your standard deduction so that you don't pay any federal taxes? If not, why not? You would be no better than the people you seem to disdain.

mathmagic likes this.
  17. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

This may not necessarily be an exception. If one deabeat parent can qualify for this kind of nonsense, then why can’t mllions more deadbeats?

whizkid likes this.
  18. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

Ah. It's only an exception if you want it to be / someone else says something. Otherwise it's free to apply to lots of other situations that you're unaware of if it fits your argument. I see.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2018

How on earth do you know her? Surely, she doesn’t have children who attend your swanky private school.

20. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

The fact is that I pay a lot more into the system in one year than she ever will. It’s just like middle-class people who complain that billionaires pay a smaller percentage of their income in taxes. Who cares? They still pay more in ONE year than we will in our lifetimes a million times over. They’ve paid their fair share as it is NOT the job of a select few individuals to pay for the well-being of 340 million people, just like it is not my job to pay the $30,000 I paid in taxes last year to some deadbeat mother who doesn’t work.

21. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

She lives in my neighborhood... I don’t know how as the homes are fairly expensive. She probably qualifies for the same program that YTG’s community members do.

22. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

So the IRS would only allow this for a single destitute family. I see, I see.

23. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

As you said earlier, show me the studies that indicate this.

24. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

And that's exactly what they do!

25. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

You know, I think I've read about some teachers excited the moment kids leave, take all possible days off...hmm, and some of them weren't doing any teaching, just giving assignments, having kids learn on computers, etc..., neglecting the kids.

Must be exactly what those kind of teachers do! Man, so you must be a neglectful teacher, too...

( /sarcasm -- but hopefully you see how labeling millions of people by one thing like that doesn't make sense.)

26. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

I agree, we shouldn’t label people. BUT, I’m specifically talking about parents who we know, and in YTG’s case, have empirical data on to show they are deadbeats. I’m ONLY talking about those individuals.

It’s not okay that there are parents out there that take advantage of the system and get everything for free. It’s not okay that they expect other people to take care of their children for them. We are NOT the parents here and that duty should fall on them and them alone.

whizkid likes this.
  27. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

You're taking this thread/forum waaaay too seriously. Take a deep breath, breathe.............

And countdown to Xmas!

28. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

Ah. I get it. You were joking around about all you've said. Makes more sense ;)
    (I was just having a discussion around a topic that was coming up...not taking it any more seriously/less seriously than you. But that's a nice way to try to avoid the issue when you're unsure of how to respond!)

29. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 23, 2018

When it dawns on you that this is an anonymous board and that no one knows anyone, you're going to feel better.

30. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2018

I'm feeling fine, thank you :) .

Enjoy your "mental health" days and winter break. :)

31. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

You guys and gals, lol! Come on, we’re all in this together.

I do enjoy these vigorous debates that we have. They really challenge your thinking and I have no hard feelings against any of you, even those who I have a disagreement with.

32. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 23, 2018

Where in this thread did I ask you to show me the studies that indicate this?

33. futuremathsprof

Nov 23, 2018

I sincerely apologize and retract my previous statement. It was mathmagic who said this. Please excuse me.

34. rpan

rpan Cohort

Nov 24, 2018

Everyone deserves some compassion and empathy, even parents who can’t or choose not to take care of their children. We shouldn’t judge. We just don’t know what they’ve been through in their lives. Maybe they have mental issues, medical issues, cultural issues, addiction issues, maybe they’ve never been in a stable family home growing up and don’t know how to provide one, maybe they truly believe that their kids are better off with the ‘professionals’, there’s so many factors. For many of these parents, they are part of a vicious cycle of poverty and/or crime and/or lack of education and/or lack of positive role models etc. that’s been going on for a couple of generations before them and they haven’t been able to break out of it. In a way, they are victims themselves. If we have been brought up in stable homes so we can have an education and stable jobs, lucky us. If we haven’t been brought up in stable homes and have been able to break out of a vicious cycle, then good on us. Either way, we should have compassion, even if sometimes, it truly is not deserved.
    It’s fine to rant and get things off ones chest in an anonymous forum, sometimes it’s what people need to do, so that in real life we can keep these views to ourselves.

35. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 24, 2018

The other week I totally forgot my kid had a short day. It was one of the unusual ones. Yes, technically they had sent home a calendar of the unusual short days... I think I remember roughly half an hour after school got out. Fortunately, they had already called Dad, who happened to have decided to leave his work early and was on his way home.

36. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 24, 2018

A couple of years ago, I had a student with a great family. Oh, I suppose you could dig through their personal lives and home (they were on the poorer side of things, the family was split). But the father signed Junior up for the afterschool program for the sole purpose of having kids to hang out with as their neighborhood had no one close to his age. He didn't hang out there unitl the final hours, but he did spend an hour or so hanging out with kids and Family Members could put in a little extra time at work or what have you.

a2z likes this.
  37. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 24, 2018

One more thought on this thread I binge-read... I think this is indeed a dangerous rant. Now, I generally roll my eyes at speeches of privilege, but I think a lot of the naysaying on this thread came from privilege, certain teachers who value money more than people and therefore condemn anyone who isn't in their social standing.

Yes, I am very well of those parents who are completely not cut out for the parenting game. Oh, well That's a bigger problem than our paygrade, but it still would behoove us to just let it go.

a2z, swansong1, mathmagic and 2 others like this.
  38. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 24, 2018

Where can I find some of these deadbeat parents to replace the helicopter parents I deal with on a daily basis?

Backroads likes this.
  39. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2018

I rant sometimes, but in the end, I focus on how best to support the kid and find ways to make connections with parents and families such that that relationship is best for the child. No name calling or labeling (doesn't help the kid at all, doesn't help me at all), just productive work forwards...

a2z likes this.
  40. futuremathsprof

Nov 24, 2018

Haha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.