Parents test-taking checklist

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by AngelHead, Apr 16, 2007.

1. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Apr 16, 2007

Does anyone have a checklist of things parents can do during testing to maximize the kiddos' ability to take "the test"?

Eat a healthy breakfast, get a good night's rest, etc. Those are the only two I can think of but it seems like I've seen more.

Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2007

The most important thing I can think of for any test taker is not to talk about the test in ways that make it look bigger and scarier than it is. Obviously the test taker needs to take the test seriously enough to do well on it, but test anxiety comes in part from regarding the test as a huge, huge obstacle, and that's just not very productive. For one thing, most of us function better when we're not fully terrified.

4. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Apr 16, 2007

That's good advice for me. I feel like I need to stop talking about "the test" for a little while, but I just wanted to make sure they do their best. Any advice for parents though?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2007

That was my advice to the parents, too.

Have you read Testing Miss Malarkey?

6. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Apr 16, 2007

oh, I see. No, I have not read it.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2007

Think of it as a picture book that isn't exactly for kids. Well worth a read.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2007

To add to your checklist:
    - be sure your children are on time for school on testing days.
    - do not schedule any appointments which will interfere with testing times

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2007

But to some school districts the test is a major deal. Another year with poor results equal panic mode.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 16, 2007

Yes, but no purpose is served by reminding the kids that the school is bound for a horrible fate if they don't perform - and one does hear about that sort of message being given. And one definitely hears about teachers and parents reminding and reminding and reminding kids that they have to do well, or else. It seems to me that it's not appropriate to put that kind of pressure on, say, a second grader, and I think we can be smarter and kinder about this and get better results.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2007

Also, you might remind them of whatever supplies they would need... #2 pencils, calculator (hopefully not, but I'm thinking SATs)

-Are they allowed to bring snacks? Can they bring candy or something to suck on during the test?

- Could they possibly bring a stuffed animal buddy to put in front of the room (out of reach, obviously) to cheer them on?

-Could the parents maybe include a "good luck, I know you'll do great" kind of message for the kids?

- How about a bit to the parents about getting the kids to school in plenty of time, particularly if the test starts first thing? No one works well when rushed.

-Could you emphasize the need for "comfort clothes" and remind them of the general room conditions? My daughter's teacher reminded us that their room is normally brutally hot in the winter, so Julia wore quite a few short sleeved shirts this year. Normally she wouldn't have, but the teacher's heads up made Julia much more comfortable.

And, in the final analysis, having the parents nag the kids about the importance of the test will do no good to anyone. At the last minute, what they know is what they know. So I agree with TG: it's time to back off a bit and not get the kids any more worried.

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2007

I agree with what alice said! I have been sending most of those same things home in my newsletter.

Something I did different this year was to send home a little sign up sheet for parents to send in healthy snacks each day. I was amazed by the response! Just about every parent signed up to bring something in. It was nice for the kids to get to relax and snack after testing was over yesterday.

13. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Apr 18, 2007

Snacks, water bottle, pencils, good luck item, well wishes, eat breakfast, no appts will be honored during testing, reminder to parents about the exact days, wear comfortable clothes and shoes, glasses/contacts if needed (possibly extra set), hair worn kept out of face, no watches (test administrator is the only one with timer)

Oh, and make sure testing starts after about 15-20 minutes into the morning for those late arrivals. But encourage parents to get kids to school on time and kids to bed early.

14. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Apr 18, 2007

I am about to administer THE dreaded state test on Thursday. Against my better judgement (and boy, it was a feat!) I made 1400 candy bags for the kiddos. In each, I put cinnamon candies, smarties (ha ha ), and a tootsie roll. I also put a little motivational message with a picture of Einstein saying "I'm a genius! I can pass my TAKS!!!" Any little bit helps, and I think it will let the students know that I care, and a little something to keep them focused during the test.