Parents pulling kids out of school for vacations

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by i8myhomework, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 23, 2014

Now that I definitely agree with! The boy who goes on vacations this year gives lots of advance notice, but is never absent any other days. I have another student who is constantly "sick" on Mondays and Fridays, which are the most important days of our school week (intro new material and test day), and hard to make up. He's also very low academically. Drives me crazy.

2. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2014

Just glad that it does not happen much here. I need to check the district's policy on this. I am thinking that it would be unexcused absences. Just as my children received unexcused absences.

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Feb 24, 2014

Because my classes are only 35 minutes with no time in between, I get the kids up to speed as best as I can, but I will not pull the previous materials.

Keep in mind they come to art every 3rd day, so a 10 day vacation can miss up to 3 classes.

I will try to pull them during my prep if they miss clay, but only if it doesn't interfere with anything else.

4. rdgrocks

rdgrocks Rookie

Feb 25, 2014

Vacations

I teach at a higher income middle school...

My principal allows students to be excused for weeklong vacations all the time. We have several students who are actors and are sometimes gone for a month shooting a movie. We have kids who leave for a week for their siblings' championship hockey, baseball, or basketball game in other states.

Anything the parents want, the parents get. We are expected to give them any and all makeup work to take with them.

We are also expected to take late work up for 6 weeks late. Sorry-that's a whole other thread!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2014

6 wks... WOW!! That's awful!

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 25, 2014

I've had professional performers and athletes in my class before. I had to put in a bit more work for them but it still didn't prevent drops in grades.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 25, 2014

If they're student actors, aren't they required to have on-set schooling? I'm pretty sure my friends who acted professionally had tutors when they weren't shooting scenes, and they graduated on time from their home districts.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 25, 2014

I don't know if they had to have on-set tutors but they did not have to have on-set schooling.

Maybe it depends on how many days away they'll be for each project? Mine would be gone a week for this, three days for that, etc.

The athletes would be gone for 3-4 weeks at a time sometimes.

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 25, 2014

When my students tell me they'll be in Cancun or Disney World the week before or after Spring Break, I tell them to have a good time but to be prepared to take the consequences. At the college level, there are no make-ups. It's bloody awesome. The policy is on the syllabus and in the handbook. Sometimes, students who don't bother to read those things try to argue. They lose.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 26, 2014

After having worked in the business world for 2 years, I have a much different view on this. I had to request time off from my boss, and it wasn't a given that I would be granted the time I requested. Parents are often locked into projects, deadlines, business trips,etc. You take a vacation when you have the time, not when school is out.

Also, my family did Disney once over Christmas break and it was NIGHTMARE. 3 hour waits for rides, freezing weather, huge crowds-just awful. We vowed then and there never to go to a major destination (not just Disney) on a popular school vacation again. If I weren't teaching, we would most certainly pull my son for a vacation if we needed to-we would expect him to make up the work, but I wouldn't be torn over the issue.

As for my class, I simply put a red folder on the desk while the child is gone and put all their work in it. They have to finish it and turn it in within two weeks of returning. I'm not a big stresser with that kind of stuff-I'll set it aside for them, but they are responsible for getting it back to me.

Luckily our district has a fall break at the end of Oct. that we can do vacations during-it's an odd time and my friends who went to Disney once during that time said it was DEAD. We also have a week off in February and a week in March, plus the two weeks of Christmas and many 3 day weekends. So I don't think I'll have a problem finding a time for vacations as a family now that I'm working here.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 26, 2014

This doesn't happen with my students but I certainly wouldn't stress over the issue. I would only have a problem if I was forced to reteach everything when the student came back. If the parents want to take them out of school for an "important" vacation then by all means go but don't expect me to go above and beyond when they get back. Maybe the parents can teach them the material and turn in the work within a reasonable amount of time :whistle:

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2014

I mostly agree, but as test scores are increasingly used to evaluate teachers, I think it's hard to not care if a couple of your students are gone for several days possibly missing an entire unit of study.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 26, 2014

Yes, but then you end up taking time away from your other students to reteach things? That doesn't make sense either.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 26, 2014

Oh, sorry...I wasn't clear. I just meant it is frustrating to know a couple vacations could lower your class's average score and thus impact your evaluation.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 26, 2014

Thank you for saying that Jem. I was thinking the same thing. Not all schedules wrap up in a neat package from August to June. My husband's company requires all hourly employees to take their 2 weeks of vacation during a certain time of year-no exceptions. Most of the time, that falls during the summer during their shut down (but not always) and I'm sure there are other manufacturing plants that have similar policies.

I'm on the fence with this one. My teacher side knows that with increasing pressure on test scores, every day counts. My (present) non-teacher, parent, business side thinks that it doesn't have to be that big of a deal...

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2014

We have many students who travel overseas to visit family for several weeks during the school year. The timing of the travel is often dependent on several things--cost, visa considerations, health of family members, special celebrations (e.g. a milestone birthday, wedding or new baby). We are not obligated to give students work ahead of time, and are able to indicate on their report card when students have missed certain topics of study. I usually ask students to keep a travel journal; some have done this by sending the class emails keeping us up-to-date about what they are doing.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2014

OK, I scanned most of the posts.... But if I were a teacher, 2ndTimeAround, I would probably take your approach. :2cents:

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 26, 2014

This is probably slightly off topic, but DH and I really want to do Disney World at Christmas time, so we are probably going to try Thanksgiving week at some point. It's supposed to be crowded but not packed. When we went in June, it wasn't that crowded to us. Disneyland gets MUCH more crowded than WDW and since we have APs there, we are used to those crowds.

I am jealous of your random offseason vacations. That's how my year working on a year round calendar was last year, and why we were able to take a glorious Disney vacation in May. Oh, well. It was nice while it lasted! lol.

ETA: wait, you're in CA - by Disney did you actually mean DisneyLAND? If so, yeah, it's so much worse than Disney World crowds...it's just insane. We went last weekend and it was PACKED. I have no idea what holiday that was a part of. Presidents Day week I guess?

19. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 26, 2014

I didn't think the days after Christmas at Disneyland were too bad, lol. From what I remember it didn't seem any busier than normal. My husband and I try to go 3x a year (to DW as well) but with our schedules... it's impossible to go off season unless we wait for a three or four day weekend. Even so that's just not enough time. Total waste of being a DVC :/

OT- I love teaching but I miss being able to pick up and go wherever I want. I really miss off season trips to Disney. I can only live through my friends and students now I guess.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 27, 2014

I tend to agree with that also. I honestly wouldn't begrudge a child a vacation (I took so few vacations as a child but enjoyed every one of them so I think they are important family time). The only concern I have is if the parents don't take any sort of role in making sure their kids are catching up/completing work (asking the teacher to come in an hour early or stay an hour late with their child is not what I mean).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.