Parents picking their child's teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jenn888, Aug 3, 2011.

1. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

I am sure this has been discussed before but...how does it make you feel as a teacher when parents request a certain teacher on your grade level? We had registration yesterday and today. The parents come and fill out paperwork and get a card with their child's teacher on it. The parent gets the card and says "OH NO, NO WAY my kid is not going to have Mrs. "A" she/he is going to have Mrs. "K" this year". Then our admin will honor the request 95% of the time. So, now Mrs. "K" has 26 kids in her class while Mrs. "B" has 17. Then on the first day of school all the other teachers who only have the 17 will get all the kids who live out of our school zone(many will wait until the first day of school to register, b/c they know its too chaotic and nobody will ask for verification that they live at the addressed zoned for our school) and most times these kids are MAJOR a behavior problem. This is a constant problem year after year.

I work at a school where the parents seem to think there is only one teacher (in 1st and 2nd especially) that is a good. It's a community school where many think if someones mother's cousin's father had Mrs. "K" then their child should have Mrs. "K" too. The other problem is a certain teacher will tell the parents your child needs to have Mrs. "Z" next year..okay sometimes teachers know which teacher will be a good fit for that student for the next school year..but this happened 8 times today. One teacher told 8 of her little 1st grade parents they needed to have Mrs. "z" in the 2nd grade, and the changes were made. The funny thing is the teacher that everyone requests on my grade level is very lazy and does not do any of the extra fun activities or experiments that we do. Her kids sit in their desks all day and do busy work..:huh: anyway...

I just had to vent a bit b/c I know I am a good teacher as well as the others on my team. But, this type of thing makes us doubt ourselves. I am actually writing this for them as well. We all wanted to know if this goes on at other schools. I(we) don't want to sound jealous. I know we should not care but it's hurtful that some people won't give us a chance, and admin allows this nonsense.

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 3, 2011

Our school policy is that only school employees may request specific teachers. However, it turns out, that there are many 'employees' LOL.

I've seen our admin honor requests from teachers, cafeteria workers, bus drivers, grandparents (who are volunteers).

As a parent, I appreciate being able to place my son. I want a teacher who will challenge him to keep learning, but will also take care of the behaviors that sometimes show up. I feel it is a benefit of mine, working there.

I don't think that parents should be able to request certain teachers (beyond employees). Children need to be grouped in classrooms and the number of students should be relatively equal.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 3, 2011

They pretty much honor it at my school, but we don't really change it after rosters go out, so it is even between the kidsI don't stew over the teacher requeests because I think most of the time it is a situation where the parent has had some kind of positive experieince with the teacher and I don't have the time or need to argue with a parent all year that I am better/equal to X teacher. Some of the other teachers are better with certain personalties (parents and kids) than I am, and I am better with others and that's ok ;)

5. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 3, 2011

In our district, a parent has to make a request by April 1st. Most of the time parent requests take precedence over teacher input. Even so, we will still have students switch rooms right after class lists are revealed. Typically, students are moved from one specific classroom teacher's room. That particular teacher will end up having up to 7 less kids than the rest of us in the grade level. So not fair on so many levels!!! The other aspect that I find to be a bother is that these requests end up being a popularity contest... who is the "it" teacher? Parents are to right a rationale as to why the teacher is a good fit for their child. Not sure how most parents know who to pick when they never step foot in the school-- all reputation. Case in point- several years ago, I refused to be "told how to grade a student and how to run my room" by a PTA parent. After that run-in, I was blacklisted by the PTA crowd for several years. Oh, well... I didn't compromise my integrity to pacify a parent and I feel good about that.

I do request for my children as I believe that I know how they are as learners. Keep in mind, I do not feel that this is a popularity contest. Rather, I try to match my children with the teaching styles/philosophies of my colleagues. (My children go to the same school at which I teach.) I also take into consideration the personality of my children and the teachers in the grade level. So far, my kids have had successful years and I attribute part of it to making sure that they are getting a teacher that complements them.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2011

My last school took requests, but the form specifically said they might not get it. They also had to give a first and second option. The reason they might not get their first option is because they kept the classes even. They would have never honored requests that made one teacher have that many more students.

7. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

Sometimes, it could be for the best! I think this happened to me this year. I say think because at the end of May, I received my roster and there was a student on list who isn't on the computer roster now. The reason why I say this could be for the best is because I had that student's sibling three years ago, and the parent wasn't very pleasant. She came storming into our Christmas party, and yelled at her kid for "ruining" the party. I felt so bad for him. :( So, now I feel a little relieved that I won't have to work with the mom this year. :)

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 3, 2011

jen ~ that just sounds like a really bad policy all the way around. It gives parents a tremendous amout of power and control, pits staff against each other, and must make for a scheduling nightmare.

Both of my girls, now 21 and a senior this year, are in the same corp where I teach. In all their school years, I only requested once for my youngest not to have a certain teacher in 2nd grade, and for my oldest to have a different sophomore English teacher.

9. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 3, 2011

You get what you get and you don't throw a fit. :) At least at my school you do.

10. mwil

mwil Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

Parents at my school can request a certain teacher, but there's no telling if they will get that teacher or not. I teach 5th grade, which is the highest grade level at my school. The 4th grade teachers meet before the end of the school year and sort the students up into the classes for next year. They look at what teacher will have the special needs students, ELL students, GT students, etc, and look at personalities to see who would be best with what teacher. The special ed team has input as well, and of course admin has the final say in determining the classes. However, it ends up being pretty much what 4th grade decided on. I only know of a few parents who got the teacher they requested, and that was because of special circumstances involving the student. It seems to work pretty well that the teachers split the students up, because they know how they behave in a learning environment, and the students who should be split up, to make for the most successful class.

11. Toast

Toast Companion

Aug 3, 2011

My school also bends and accomodates parent requests for teachers. I think if a parent makes a request, it needs to be by a certain date before class rosters are created and that there is absolutely no guarantee that the request will be fulfilled.

Not to bragg, but the past 3 years in a row I personally have been that popular requested teacher. I have no idea why and really have had no control over it. While yes, it can be a nice ego stroke it also has a down side to it too.

As one of those "popular request" teachers I find it very annoying that kids will be moved into my class, yet none will be moved out to even up the class sizes.

It is obvious that having a larger class will make ANY teacher less effective rathan than if he/she had a smaller class size. I especially felt this way last year when my class had 30 kids in it and the other two only had 21 and 22 students. Having 30 kids made me a much less effective teacher and I ended up spending more time on classroom management that I would have liked.

Luckily this year I am pregnant so less parents have requested me knowing that for part of the year I will be having a long term sub. Even though this year I am THAT teacher who has the least amount a kids, I am absolutely grateful for it since I've had classes bursting at the seams the past few years.

So if you happen to be one of those less popular teachers think of it this way.... you will be able to be a better teacher because you will have a smaller class size plus you will most likely have lower maintainence and less demanding parents to deal with.

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2011

Our school sets the new lists in the spring and does not allow specific requests. Sometimes parents ask; but there is no requirement to follow their wish. There is no way that parents could change their child's class in that manner at the beginning of the year. Lawsuits need to be on the way in order for a kid to get moved.

13. juliechsa

juliechsa Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

It works this way at my school too. The only time we have made a change after rosters go out is one year we messed up and put twins together when they had requested to be separated.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 3, 2011

I work at a small Catholic school and there's only one teacher per grade level so everyone has that teacher, no requests necessary!

It was the same way where I student taught though that was only a high school. Each teacher had one subject and taught it 4 or 5 times a day. So I had all the juniors for British Lit.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 4, 2011

We generally honor requests as long as they're not made in the middle of the year (so no switching teachers once school has started). However, to my knowledge they don't tell the gen ed teachers who requested who. So it's not like Miss B knows that three students requested to have Miss J for 2nd grade instead. For many of my students on IEP's, we (the SLP if applicable, the psych, the P, the parent, and I) discuss who we think would be the best fit for that child and place them in that teacher's class. However, we don't talk about it in front of the gen ed teachers or tell them that we purposely placed Johnny in their class.

When I was in elementary school, my parents requested teachers twice. I was placed in the class they wanted both times. My parents were not "helicopter" parents at all- in fact they made conscience choices to not be overly involved in my schooling. My mom would even volunteer in other people's classrooms so she wasn't hanging around mine all the time and I could have my independence. In 2nd grade, I had an extremely rough year with a teacher who was just plain mean. I was a good student so I wasn't ever personally "in trouble", but she spent most of the days screaming at us. Literally. She also would keep us from specials almost every day as punishment for talking in class or whatever. I went from loving school to absolutely hating it. The next year my parents requested that I have the teacher who was known to be a little more soft around the edges. I was a really shy kid and had a hard time making friends in elementary. By 4th grade, I finally found a good group of girls that I hung around with. In 6th grade (elementary still in the district I attended) the class list came out and every single one of them was in the other class. Out of the group of 9-10 kids that I socialized with in any way at all, not a single one was in my class. There were also several kids that bullied me in the class I was placed in- so I would have been with them and without any friends. The way our school was set up, you didn't even have lunch/recess with the other 6th grade class. I was so upset that I just stood there and cried when I saw the list. My mom ended up calling the P and explaining the situation, and they were really nice about switching me to the other class right away. I had an excellent year and can't imagine what it would have been like otherwise.

I think it's important to remember that different teachers are just good for different kids too. It doesn't mean one teacher is better or worse. For example, the "nicer" teacher was a better option for me that 3rd grade year. A kid that had behavior problems would have definitely benefited from someone who was stronger in discipline/more tough. Just because someone requests the other class doesn't mean that teacher is better than you.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

Parent requests for a specific teacher are not considered.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2011

Parents at my school don't do too much requesting, but that's because we are an international school, and the teachers are always changing. I am guilty of requesting specific teachers for my daughter. I can see it from both perspectives I suppose.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011

I don't know if parents are allowed to request teachers. Last year at Open House, a few parents told me that they had requested me and were happy their child got me - a few came in and asked who they should talk to about getting their child switched into my class :dunno: With the class size amendment, it's pretty hard scheduling as it is without requests to consider.

I do know that staff members requests for teachers are usually granted.

19. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011

I'm a little disturbed by the policies that allow employees to make requests but not other parents. I'm not sure I see any good justification there.

Also, the implication that parents should be prevented from having any power and control is troublesome. I can certainly see where not all parent requests can be honored, but to say they should not be considered is fairly extreme and ignores a lot of very good reasons a parent might have for making a request.

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 4, 2011

I don't think it is fair, period. Not for employees and not for parents. I think we should value the input teachers have-- at both of the schools teachers decided the homerooms for next year (grade 3 teachers would choose the homerooms for 4th grade, etc) based on how we knew the students socialized and if they were stronger or weaker in certain areas (weak students in math would benefit to have the math teacher as a homeroom teacher).

Of course, since I've worked in two private schools, that goes completely out the window though. A month before we have to decide, parents (99% the Moms) e-mail or call with a list of who and who not can be in their child's homeroom. The head teacher for the grade level then plays with all of those and comes up with a list, we check through it. I think it is ridiculous but when a parent is paying $25K + a year I keep my mouth shut and nod.

(Something like this would never fly in my classroom-- a student will work with everybody at least once. And I tell them if there's drama going on, it has got to stop for at least one period in my classroom.)

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

True. My school is one that doesn't honour requests for a specific teacher. However...when we are placing students into classes, we do consider whether or not there is a "history" with a family, personalities of teacher and student, and what we feel would be a "good fit" as far as teaching/learning style and behaviour are concerned. Sending teachers have extensive input into student placement for the following year.

We don't want class placements to become a popularity contest; we try to keep everything as equitable as possible. On a completely practical note--we often need to reorganize classes right before school starts, and sometimes teaching assignments are impacted.

22. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Aug 4, 2011

Our school's policy seems to depend on the principal. In the past, we used to send out a parent preference form in the spring. Even though it said it was NOT meant to request a specific teacher, but rather a teaching STYLE, people still wrote teachers' names down and it was honored almost every time. Our last principal did not do this, although I do know a few parents who really pushed the issue and made it happen. He also did not think that we (as teachers) should place kids with specific teachers based on "fit"--rather, we would make up equally balanced class lists not knowing who the teachers would be. I don't agree with that, personally, because I know there are kids who do really well with certain teachers--not because they were better than other teacher, just a better fit.

I have been on both sides of the coin. As a new teacher to the school and grade level, I was the one who was not requested. I'll admit, it did make me feel lousy. But the parents of the kids I taught had no expectations, so I didn't feel pressure (other than the normal pressure). I've also been the teacher who is requested. And I'll admit again, it feels good. But some of the reasons I'm requested aren't because I'm "better" than another teacher. Rather, things like I have had 2 of the previous siblings and have a good relationship with the family. Also, since I have my masters in special ed, I get a lot of kids with special needs placed in my classroom, so it all balances out.

23. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

I think perhaps I should have explained what I meant by "power and control" . . . the idea that admin would place students in a certain teacher's class based ONLY upon the request of a parent, in my opinion, gives parents a tremendous amount of power and control; the power to create cliques within a classroom of both parents and children, the power to isolate other teachers, the power to have admin choose a parent recommnedation over the advice of teachers with experience in learning enviroments, the power to dicate the job of the admin and teachers in creating class lists . . . . I think that is way too much power. I was only reply to the situation that the OP explained ~ that every parent gets their request which leaves classes unbalanced and certain teachers 'marked" as less-than teachers. I didn't say that parental request should not be taken into consideration, just that the practice that the OP was venting about was a very bad policy.

24. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 4, 2011

As I have already stated, parent requests are accepted and, in most cases, students are placed accordingly. On our request form, parents are to validate their reasons for requesting the teachers that they want. Each request needs to include 2 teachers or an explanation of the classroom climate/teaching practices that would work best for their child. The classlists start off by being created by the grade below. After that, the principal plugs in parent requests. Then, specialists take a look at the lists and make suggestions as to placement. After that, the principal and counselor once again review them. The previous grade level teachers create "equitable" lists based on academics skills and behavior issues. They don't put teacher names on them as they really don't know teaching styles of the next grade level. When reviewed in the fall, the previous grade level notices where their suggestions were not met and that the lists look entirely different.

I think requests are good when the parent can validate their reasoning.. and not make it a popularity contest. (And, yes, I am totally good with having repeat family members because the repertoire has already been established.) There also is some merit to parents wanting to avoid a teacher due to a previous issue or situation. The reality is the principal/counselor do not know the learning styles of all the students and making a "good list" may be difficult based on that. Our former principal was of the mindset that if a parent requested you, they should not have a problem with what you are doing in the classroom. He felt that the parent should support you because they "chose you". :whistle:

As a parent, I have requested a teacher based on my knowledge of the teacher and his/her teaching style. I know how my children learn and want the best placement available. In some grade levels, I will not make a request. In others, I will. There are teachers that I believe to be a poor fit and/or I do not agree with their teaching. But, I am different than most parents... I have "insider" knowledge.

On a positive note...
    In looking at my new class list, I have 8 of my 21 students are from "returning" families. Of them, I know that at least four of them sent in a formal request for me. I love knowing that those parents felt that I did a good job with their first child and are entrusting me with their other children.

25. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 4, 2011

INteacher... I agree with you. Parent requests should never be the sole determiner for placement. That's what I get frustrated with... our parents/PTA have tended to have a pretty forceful presence and turn the lists into a popularity contest instead of looking for the best fit for their child. The classlists tend to be very heavy in some rooms for behaviors and/or academic issues because of preferential treatment for some while others are not.

26. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 4, 2011

This happens, but I believe only employees may request that their own children be in a certain class. I don't think this is open to the parents who don't work at the school.

The teachers at my school almost always request a certain teacher on each grade level, even though there are many excellent teachers in all the grade levels. It is annoying to me, because it makes me feel like other teachers do not trust me with their child. I'd just rather not know that I'm that unpopular. Oh well!

27. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 4, 2011

I would like to clarify that it doesn't annoy me that the teachers don't choose me. It just bugs me that it almost seems like a popularity contest. But maybe it's not.

The cool thing, though, is that I had the parents of two former students tell me that they wanted me to teach their other kids when they reach my grade level. That made me feel good. That makes me feel like the kids really learned a lot from my class. I'd rather be "popular" in that way. : )

28. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Aug 4, 2011

The school I teach at is too small to have this issue, as there is only one teacher per grade level. So...you get who you get and you don't pitch a fit! :lol:

At the public school where my daughters go to school, parents can write "placement" letters telling what type of teacher they would wish their child to have, but may not ask for a certain teacher. it is well known if you name a teacher in a placement letter, the letter is shredded. :eek: Employees may request two teachers and are guaranteed one of the two, but no choice on which one exactly. We heard last year PTA big wigs tried to throw their weight around and say they should get special placement , but the new principal basically told them where to stick it. Teachers can make recommendations for students for the next grade and the admins. tend to honor those. Teaching teams get together and place students in rosters before school lets out and then the admin team goes over them to make any changes needed. This year, my youngest is in first and I really wanted her to have the same teacher my oldest had for several reasons. i would have been fine if she had not been placed in her class, but did hope for it. I made my wishes known to her K teacher, as did the first grade teacher (she also wanted my child!) and we got placed in her room. So, I do know that sometimes talking to your child's teacher is the best way to let your feelings be known.

29. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 4, 2011

My school has been multiage for the last 10 years or so.... 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6. Kids keep the same teacher for both years, unless there's an extenuating circumstance. The kids swap for math and maybe reading (even in 1st grade... they teach math as a straight grade), and they combine 2 classes for SS/Science. So they're in a home room, but they have most of the team for one subject or another anyway.

This year, we're modifying it and going to looping 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6. We're adding Spanish bilingual for K-2, so there wasn't a lot of decision-making as far as classes for the lower grades. .. Spanish-speaking goes to the bilingual class. Other kids, monolingual class... except 1st grade where we had way too many non-Spanish-speaking kids so needed a 3rd section. With input from sped, specials, slp,etc., they do try to clump groups of kids together that make sense, if only because pulling them out for, say, speech, is easier if they're in the same room. I don't necessarily think that's the way it SHOULD be (I think everyone benefits from having a variety of kids...), but I understand the need for it. They do try to spread the heavy-duty sped kids around, though, rather than having them all in one homeroom (we don't technically have self-contained sped, even though some kids get all their academic instruction in the sped room and are only with peers for lunch, recess, specials...)

For my kids coming out of PreK and going to K, I will sometimes make a recommendation if I know the child will or won't mesh with a specific teacher (this is a child who struggles with behavior, he will eat the softy right up), but otherwise try to just split/group them in a logical way.

I haven't heard much about parent requests at my school, but I also keep to myself and try to stay out of a lot of the politics... I do know that the teachers sit down with the list of kids who are moving up to the next group and make lists that reflect the kids (This is A's ONLY friend, keep them together. Do not under any circumstances put these 3 kids in the same class)

30. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 4, 2011

As a parent, I've made requests & they've been honored. We had to turn in teacher requests by a certain date, there was no guarentees & the school had the final decision. For my extremely quiet son, I requested a teacher who is known for being very strict, a tough disciplarian & had strict routines. She typically got all the challenging kids, which my son is not. Another parent questioned my decision. I told this parent that the teacher is excellent, I already knew her & knew that should would be great with my son. And she was. In fact, both of my kids had her & she was one of their favorite elementary teachers.

As a teacher, I've been requested & the one not requested. It feels good to be requested, can't deny it. Doesn't bother me to be not requested. I feel that if the parent doesn't want their child in my room, then we're going to have problems.

At my current school, there is no requesting. We had a parent try to remove a twin from my room to the twin's room. The principal said no. Mom did not like me. She also did not like the P either. Both twins had been placed in academically appropriate rooms.

31. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 4, 2011

Oh wow! Funny that you mentioned this! This happened last night at our Open House... needless to say some parents were either happy, upset or mad. But I can say our P handles her business and she did not move the students who were requesting certain placements.

In the same breath I have been on the recieving end of it. I guess it all comes down to school politics and what is allowed and not allowed. There's a lot of thought that goes into placements at some school. Balancing classrooms academically, gender, socioeconomic status etc.

I have never thougth about it in this detail as above... but I sure wouldnt want to be in charge of placing students!

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

:lol: As Special ed coordinator, I'm involved in initial placements (we place identified students and those with high needs first) and am asked to sit in on as many placement meetings with teachers as I can. When we get new registrations, or need to reorganize classes, the principal always calls me to help her. It's interesting to have such a close insight into all of the class make-ups, but gets difficult sometimes (like last year, when I had to re-shuffle classes 6 times in one week!).

33. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

Last year a few days before school started my P told me he was removing one of my kids and placing him in the other 4th grade class because the student's dad told him the dad had had an issue with me when I had the student previously. I wasn't given any details. I was very uncomfortable with this and did not remember anything that happened with the dad. The next day the P came in and said never mind the kid really wants to be in your class. This was so weird to me. I was nervous at conferences and wasn't sure if the dad would say anything. He never came and I had a good year with the student.
    I just don't think I need to know why a student is switching classes unless they can tell me if I did something and how to improve.

34. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

Last year my team teacher and I ended up having 46 students between the 2 of us...the other team had around 35 or so... so I fully understand. I felt like it was a bit unfair that I had so many students in each block and the other teachers were sitting with less than 20 in each block...

My school does allow requests and most of the time they are granted within reason. Many of the students who are on my list for this coming year are requests. Most of them are families where my teammate and I have had an older sibling and they wanted us. As long as the numbers are even this year, I'm ok with this!

35. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 5, 2011

In my district, parents are not allowed to make requests. Teachers would NEVER tell a parent, "I think your child should have ____ for a teacher next year." Teachers make the class lists at the end of the year, so we can put kids with whichever teacher we would like.

I don't think it's right that your school just lets parents dictate where their child should go. I wouldn't take it personally, though. I think parents just want the teacher that is familiar. I just left a school, and parents have been slowly finding out. I know many of the families who will have children entering kindergarten this fall. Many of these parents have emailed me saying, "What am I going to do now that ____ won't have you for a kindergarten teacher?!" The thing is, all of the other teachers on my team are amazing teachers, and I know the parents will be very happy with whichever teacher their child gets. Maybe even happier, who knows! They just want me because I had their other child.

36. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2011

Well... apparently, it is allowed in my district.

The district has blocked the online gradebook because one HS had their schedules done already and posted and they've been SWAMPED with teacher requests and requests for schedule changes.

Meanwhile, my school is still trying to finish the schedule - last minute changes to the requirements for Intensive Reading has sent everything into a tizzy. I doubt many requests will be honored this year.

37. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Aug 5, 2011

It is done in my school, even though the principal sends out a letter that directly states we do not honor specific requests. I know that it has all the teachers at my school up in a frenzy. With Race to the Top funding and knowing that part of our evaluations are based upon student's performance on test, the teachers in my school are sick of requests. Why is it fair for certain classrooms to be stacked with pre-placed students, instead of allowing teachers/administration to ensure that Title 1 students are evenly dispersed between classrooms. We had a third grade teacher this past year, who had 14 out of 19 kids who needed extra services, while 2 other 3rd grade classrooms had 6 out of 20 and 4 out of 19.

38. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

This is definitely common in the suburban school district where I live (and principals are getting less and less accommodating b/c parents are getting more and more demanding, its impossible to meet the demands for placement.)

However it doesn't happen AT ALL where I teach in the inner city. And to top it all off our kids loop with their class so there's really no room to ask for a different teacher. Teachers don't loop but its customary for the entire class to loop together from K-5. I don't think parents even know that they could possibly "request" a teacher.

39. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2011

When I was a new teacher this happened all the time. I decided the only way I was going to get around that was to be a better teacher than teacher A. I built relationships with my parents. I wrote special notes to my kids during the year. I kept parents informed with a weekly newsletter. I went to a few of my kids football or soccer games. By the end of year two, I had as many requests as teacher A. Parents talk. They just want someone that will provide their child not only with a fantastic education, but also love and understanding. I could not beat the system, so I decided to join it. The funny thing is that I ended up being a better teacher for all my efforts in building relationships. And what I found out along the way, is that ALL parents love and want the best for their children. They may not read with their kids like we want them to. They may let them watch too much tv. But in their way, they love their kids, and want their children to succeed. So, know that you have some amazing parents on your roll and it really does not matter who requests and who does not. Kids are kids are kids. They all need the same things. Have a great year!!!!!!:)

40. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

That is one of my all time favorite posts!!!

41. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

At my children's school, the policy was that before class lists were released, parents could request a certain teacher but MUST have an educational reason for doing so.

At the school I teach, parental requests are accommodated.