Parents no-showing at parent conferences

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2009

The procedure for conferences at our school is that the parent/counselor/teacher requests a conference, and all the student's teachers meet with the parent to discuss grades and/or behavior. Generally, conferences last around 20 minutes, with each teacher taking a turn saying how things are going in his/her class.

The mother of one of my students scheduled a parent/teacher conference for this afternoon. All the teachers were there waiting for the mom to show up; she never did.

Parents not showing up for the conferences they schedule happens a lot. I'd say that more than half the conferences scheduled for me result in no-shows. I have no idea why parents never seem to show up. I'm sure that sometimes they're running late--but we can't wait around forever, or even for a short time really. Being 10 minutes late for a conference means that it won't happen! We have to get to class or go home for the day!

Does this happen at your school?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 26, 2009

I taught for nine years at a high school in the teen parent program. I never had one parent show up for conferences.

4. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Feb 27, 2009

Usually the parents of my really high performing students show up for conferences. The students who are struggling/failing - their parents never show up, no matter how many times we call or write home. It is really frustrating. But like Cassie said, they always sign up for a conference - they just don't show up!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2009

What bugs me so much is that we don't do the whole parent conference thing where all the parents are asked to come one evening or whatever. We only do them on a case by case basis when someone requests one. If the parent is going to go out of his or her way to request a conference, it seems bizarre to me that they would skip out on it.

6. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2009

When I was on third shift, I'd have to talk to teachers either in the morning or they'd have to call me in the evening. I'd end up sleeping through end of the day meetings!

7. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

I used to work as a health educator in the medical field. Guess what...follow up appointments were missed almost 50% of the time until we both called and mailed people to remind them.

So, as a teacher before a conference, I now send a reminder letter home and call/ leave a message. To me it is worth it not to sit there waiting for a parent who does not show.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2009

When parents don't show up (rarely), I offer them a 'phone conference'.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

I have had several parents request a conference and then cancel. I think I have only had one not show up for one they requested. As for ones I request, that is common.

10. cmw

cmw Groupie

Mar 1, 2009

All the time! We have parents that set up meetings with the principal & don't show either. We also have students who never pay school fees & don't get report cards. It is very frustrating when you can't speak with a parent or get them on the same page as you!

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 1, 2009

That is totaly annoying! do you reschedule? or give a written summary?

12. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

My last principal had a plan that got every parent to school when you really needed to talk to them. She sent a note telling the parent the child could not return to school until they came with them. It worked every time!! She also told the child. The children always got the note to the parent.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 1, 2009

Last month I had a PARENT request a conference. She didn't show up the first time, called to cancel WHEN the conference was scheduled to begin the second time, and cancelled in advance the third time. When we rescheduled the fourth conference I asked my principal to call her. It worked :) We met last week.