Parents getting too personal with religion?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherlissa, Aug 15, 2007.

1. French Teacher

French Teacher Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

If someone ask me this question, I would say that it is a personnal matter.

But actually, in France, I do not think that anyone dare ask this question. In public school, religion has not its place. For instance, it is forbidden for teachers and students to wear obvious signs which show that you believe in such or such religion.

2. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 16, 2007

I personally don't go to church, I'm christian but just don't go. Last year the church had a supper in my honor. They forgot to ask me if I wanted to go. Put in the newspaper meet new teacher blah blah blah. Than the day of the supper informed me about it. I didn't have much choice. Lucky for them I wasn't some other religion. :D

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 16, 2007

That would REALLY rub me the wrong way! She's not there to judge your personal life.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2007

I have never been asked this question at school and would find it offensive if I was. It would make me feel like they were sizing me up. Also, I am Jewish, which I sometimes explain, and most people are fine with that.

5. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

Very firmly....I prefer not to discuss the topic of religion. Thanks.

6. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I would have said, "Oh, my mother always told me never to talk about politics or religion", smiled sweetly and changed the subject.

Well, honestly I probably would have had the same shocked reaction you did, but I like to imagine I could have come up with the snappy comeback;) Too bad it usually takes me a few hours to think of anything!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2007

That's what I do...can I have a do over please because I have this really great comeback!!!

8. LI Teach 99

LI Teach 99 Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Last year I had a parent ask me my political orientation, I said it's not appropriate for school. She persisted [and I really needed to go and saw she wasn't about to give up] so I said "Well not that it will make a difference in my classroom but I'm an Independent and I would appreciate it next time if you would keep such personal questions to yourself." She was being rather nasty so I took a ... strong approach back.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 16, 2007

Well this forum is sure interesting! I attend a church and when I know someone is new to town I invite them. I don't usually ask what church they go to, but usually,"Have you found a church yet? We would love to have you come visit us sometime." I always asked in the spirit of friendliness, not intrusion. Was this lady being friendly, or was it more like she wanted to know where you were coming from and if it would influence her child? If you are uncomfortable with this question, I agree that it would be fine to reply in a kind but firm way, such as "My mother told me . . ." I like that response, because if she is being friendly, it allows her to back off without feeling stupid - you give both of you a way out.

10. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

It was the father that came straight up to me. He asked for my first name. Then he asked me if I went to church. When I said "yes, I am a Christian" (I was prepared to know that he was going to ask if I was a Christian- he asked the Kindergarten teacher and the 2nd grade teacher who also have the man's children the same question). Then he asked if I believed something (I couldn't catch the whole phrase) so I said, "Huh?"- Then he asked again (something about Jesus' flesh appearing on Earth again) and I said, "uh, sure?"- Then he said he would prayer for me. I don't think it was a friendly invitation to attend his church. But I honestly don't know what it was- was he worried about my salvation? Was he worried I would say things in class that would influence his child the wrong way? I have no idea. All I can say is that I was shocked. Very shocked! :unsure:

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 16, 2007

Well that does sound a little odd to bring up a doctrinal question at Open House. Maybe he is just odd. I guess you are going to have to just roll with it. I once had a parent ask me if I had fangs, right in front of my principal! Talk about jaw dropping! Plus, I have always thought my 2 eye teeth look rather fangish, so I didn't know exactly what he meant. My very first year teaching - I was 21!! My principal knew what was going on - he just laughed and said,"Yes, sometimes the little buggers think we have fangs all right!" Maybe you are going to get experience dealing with an oddball this year! It seems there is always one. Maybe we should start a thread about the weirdest parents!!!!!!!

12. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

my best friend had this happen to her on her very first year teaching at her open house. The man got right in her face and asked her "Do you know Jesus as your personal savior?" in a very stern tone:help:

I forgot what she said but it was definitly a way to start off the year

13. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

I would answer a question like that with a question right back, "why do you think it is your business to know that about me?" If it were "Have you found a church yet?" I would take that as a welcoming, caring question---but to have someone march up to me would definitely put me out! BTW I do go to church, but I don't ask any of my parents if they do!

14. monica

monica Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

I'm at the "live in the Bible belt" and "use to it" table. I've had it asked often, when I was teaching public Pre-K. It was always in a manner of friendly (getting to know you) conversation and I had no problem replying.

I was in the science center one year wondering around talking with families & children when a Dad picked up a dinosaur book and asked me how I was going to handle things like "where do we come from" and "creation". It was a question that caught me off guard for a second. I am a Christian and didn't know if this family was or not. (Later to found out they are Christian, they sent all 3 of their kids to my class and we're all super great friends still) I don't remember exactly what I said it was years ago, but that's the only time I recall having been caught "off guard" at a Open House.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2007

My son's kinder teacher is the only teacher of my kids that I found out that she is an active member of church. At first she never said anything. Then over time, I would tell her things. One day, she asks me to sit and talk for a moment. She told me my son was showing different behavior and gently ask if anything was going on that I might be aware of that would cause this sudden change. My husband and I had been having a money fight about his inlaws for a few days. Bad arguments. Before you know it, I shared the whole history of my inlaws, etc. So she asked if I went to church. At first I was slightly taken back, but she said that she wanted to suggest that as a resource but didn't want to offend me if I didn't believe in God. Later she asked if she could pray with me. She did. Really, she made me feel so comfortable that the whole thing was more like two friends talking rather than anything that was forced or imposed on me. For instance, she shared her family Christmas traditions including not celebrating Santa Claus. I never really got the hint that she imposed her religion on her job. It's hard to explain. That was also the first and only teacher that attended student's birthday party if invited. My kids liked her. I requested her for my middle son as well.

As a rule of thumb, I think religion should be off limits for the school environment. I, however, abhore the fact that we can't really teach Christmas in the religious/tradition way when we often teach several other religious winter holidays.