parents entering classroom early

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by chris153, Sep 9, 2014.

1. chris153

chris153 New Member

Sep 9, 2014

Hello All New to here, hope you can help me. We keep our door closed to our pre school room until we are ready for the class to come in. Some parents just open the door and walk in (even 10 minutes early) We love seeing their children, just need to have the time to set up the classroom. and sometimes discuss children with each other. I have seen a cute poem on doors in some pre schools but cannot remember it. Does any one have a poem to post on the door so parents get the message to wait outside until the room is officially open? Thanks in advance for any help.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 9, 2014

A locked door also works. I've done that when I've had parents trying to pick up early, without permission.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, I've locked my door before and put a sign up between door knob and eye level. "Students may enter the room at (insert time)".

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2014

Lock the doors. If we've learned anything from Walmart over the years it is this - if you're not ready to greet and serve, keep the door locked until you are!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 9, 2014

I keep the door locked too. The front office is pretty good about catching people, but some people slip by early in the mornings.

7. msaly

msaly Comrade

Sep 10, 2014

Lock the door and put a sign that says parents and children must remain in the hallway until a we open the door at _______am.

8. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Sep 10, 2014

At my preschool, the doors didn't lock. If that's the case, put a STOP sign on the door with a message stating "Please do not enter before X time. Teacher planning."

9. MsUPreK

MsUPreK Rookie

Sep 14, 2014

I don't know of any poems :( But i agree with everyone else! I was having parents drop off early and i simply locked the door and turned off my lights & within 3 days TADA problem solved! I think i got lucky but its important to put your foot down and enforce the rules as much as it kills you to have to do it!
    I would also tell them, Oh, (Students name) I'm so happy to see you, but i need you to wait outside I'm not ready for you just yet and i would walk them back out. Harsh but it worked, no more locked doors! They all know to wait until I open the door!
    Good Luck

10. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Sep 15, 2014

Yes, I would totally lock the doors, and put a sign on the door. No need to dim the lights either. The front office should do a good job with monitoring visitors more. They are not allowed to go past the entrance/lobby which I love.

11. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

yeah you can lock the doors or even you can put a sign board like class room getting ready .. allow some time ..!!

i havnt tried it, but it may work

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 25, 2014

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but one time I hid in my closet so a parent wouldn't know I was there. :whistle::blush:

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

Why do they come early?? Do they drop the kids off and run or like to hang out? Either way they need to respect your time. Try a sign AND a locked door!!

14. Oh.Wow

Oh.Wow Rookie

Nov 9, 2014

I agree, I always make sure my preschool room door is locked! If I happen to forget to lock the door, or a parent is knocking, or wanders in from the adjoining room, I (nicely) tell them "Oh, we'll be ready in 10 minutes, we've still got some setting up to do. I'll come over and open the door at 9:00", or something to that effect.

From day 1 each year, we keep the door locked until right on 9:00, and then I hold the door open as the families enter. This way I can greet each child on arrival, as well as set the routine that the session doesn't begin until a teacher opens the door. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  15. tara311

tara311 New Member

Jan 20, 2015

BAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious...

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 20, 2015

LOL Upsie... how did I miss that comment?? That is too funny!

I have been known to go hang out in another teacher's room when certain parents don't get the message.

17. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 24, 2015

I keep my doors locked. I had a parent drop of almost 20 minutes early and leave. I keep my blinds closed until the bell rings. Then I go to the pick up location. I have seen teachers with signs, many parents ignore.

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 25, 2015

Our preschool had before care, and if parents dropped off early they were charged for it. Same with picking up late. Late was a dollar a minute a kid. I'll bet if you charged that in the morning you would have fewer early arrivals.

19. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Apr 9, 2015

Fortunately at my center, our outside door is accessed by key cards. The parent key cards don't allow access until 7:00am, when we open!

20. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2015

Our kids go to the gym before 8:00 am. Parents have to sign in at the office and get a yellow tag. They have to have their DL to get past the office in the morning. So we don't have many parents that will come to our rooms anymore. Some kids try to but I make them go to the gym unless it's just a few minutes early. In the past when parents were allowed free reign over our campus I had parents all the time in the mornings. I have hidden in closets, other teachers rooms and once the principal's office. (we were both hiding from this parent)

21. alanabrown15

alanabrown15 Rookie

Apr 22, 2015

I don't know any poem related to that but I agree with the other users who are saying to lock the door and put a sign board.

22. UditGanguly

UditGanguly Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

This is really a good idea, but this might be difficult to find it out such poem.