Parents Doing Homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Bliss, May 1, 2007.

1. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 5, 2007

Do any of you count it against the child's grade if the nightly agenda is not signed? If my daughter misses a night with me signing (which we rarely do because I just know it's something that needs to be done, but it has happened on occasion,) it affects her conduct grade. She's actually gotten C's and D's on her weekly conduct because her agenda wasn't signed one night and she forgot to write her name on her paper. I completely agree that it's about responsibility but I don't agree with this teacher marking down grade points for it. In her previous year, a complete signed agenda earned them rewards but it wasn't counted against a grade. I suppose as she advances in years, the point is to teach more responsibility but wow.

2. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

May 5, 2007

That's my point, that's why I authorized my kids to sign for me. I think that the teachers have no right to grade the parents on their bookeeping abilities or mark children down because of the lack of visual documentation of a school mandated parent-child interaction.

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 5, 2007

I don't grade homework or mark anyone down if they don't bring something back, signed. The only thing I do is have them owe me 5 mintues of their recess if they don't bring their behavior sheets back. If they don't bring homework back, they don't get to participate in Friday Fun Centers or the extra recess, dutied by the principal, at the end of the month.

4. Commartsy

Commartsy Companion

May 7, 2007

I make sure to tell my parents every year to let me know if it takes an inordinate amount of time to do work I assign. If a student has a lot of work at home, it means that they are either not using their time wisely or they really need some extra help.

5. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

May 7, 2007

Well said. That's what I tell them as well. What I send home doesn't take more than about 20 minutes at the most. I also have them read for 20 minutes. Usually it's the parents that want more homework for their kids to do.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 7, 2007

Homework should be extra practice of previously taught skills. Students should be able to do homework independently (for the most part), unless it is a family project. At the beginning of the year our grade level sends out a homework note explaining what we expect out of students weekly. This includes reading daily, word study practice daily (different suggested activities), and classroom assigned work. Really, it should take 30-40 minutes for it to be completed. I only send home assigned homework Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. My students bring it back for a grade (5 points). If it is not finished, they do it during recess.

I am an advocate of appropriate homework. If it is not appropriate for the grade level, then something else should be done. Parents have my phone number, if their student needs help from me. They know they can call before 9:00 p.m. I don't mind. This year I haven't had to struggle with homework issues. My students know I am taking classes towards my masters, and that I have homework as well. It's been a real motivator for them, for some reason.

As for parents signing slips, my parents sign a Monday Paper slip signifying that they have reviewed their child's graded papers. It's once a week, and I haven't had any complain. I also have a section on my Monday News that I fill out each week for every student. Parents are to sign that as well. It gives them information on their child's weekly behavior, classwork, and homework. My parents are very informed, and none are surprised come conference time. It takes me about 5 extra minutes to fill those out each week, and it's well worth it.