Parents bringing children to school early

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dogs&teaching, Nov 30, 2011.

1. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Nov 30, 2011

I have a couple parents that are dropping their children off at preschool really early. Preschool starts at 8:00am while I don't have to be at school until 7:30am. Students are not to be here until 7:45am at the earliest. 7:30-7:45am I use for planning and prepping for class. I usually do most of my copying during this time because it's the only time the copier does not have a line. The other teachers are usually at the church getting ready for mass.

I had a student show up at 7:33am this morning. I am in a separate building from the elementary by myself. The copier is located in the elementary. I am not allowed to leave the students unattended in my building or take students over with me while I make copies. So this morning I was unable to make my copies. The parents of this child have no other children in school and do not work until early afternoon. They have absolutely no reason to drop the child off so early. How do I explain to them nicely not to drop their child off so early?

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 30, 2011

Do you have some sort of note that was sent home at the beginning of the year with the schedule on it? Perhaps you can send out a blanket reminder to all of your parents about drop-off and pick-up times. If it's just a few repeat offenders, maybe catch the parents of these specific students and remind them that you have meetings and/or other obligations before school starts and that the school has a policy against leaving children unsupervised.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 30, 2011

Do you have a principal (or director? I'm not sure how preschool works sorry) that could talk to the parent? We had this problem at the beginning of the year and my P was super firm about it with parents. Our school starts at 8:30 and students cannot come before 8:15. Our P literally told parents if they dropped their students off before then, they'd need to pay 7 dollars a day (not sure where that number came from, haha) for childcare.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 30, 2011

We had parents dropping kids off as early as 7:00. The doors are locked, and the kids are unsupervised. If a reminder didn't work, then a call from social services did the trick.

6. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Nov 30, 2011

Have the center keep the front doors locked until 7:45. If they won't do that, then tell the parents, "You are welcome to stay here with Susie/Johnny but I am not available to supervise her/him until 7:45." You can be nice but there's no need to be overboard about it. Those parents know exactly what they're doing.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011

Our doors are locked until they students are allowed on campus as well. Everyday there are students there early waiting. Some students it is only a couple minutes, others get there 20-25 minutes early. Some of them even walk to school and get there that much earlier. They just stand out there and wait.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 30, 2011

Just tell the parents. You will have harder things to do in your career. You can nicely say, "we don't have anyone to watch your child until 7:45. Please do not come early." You can do it.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 1, 2011

Write it in a note if you don't want confrontation. Send it out to the whole class so that the parent does not feel singled out. :) Good luck and you can do this!

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 1, 2011

I would certainly send home a note on Friday reminding parents that students are not to be dropped off before 7:45 because there is not supervision available. I would post a notice on the door and then keep it locked until 7:45.

11. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 1, 2011

Agree with pps. Remind them of the specific times their children may arrive. Also, remind them of the importance of being able to properly prepare for the day.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 1, 2011

You just call and say children aren't to be dropped till .....