Parents as Subs?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Superteacher81, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Has anyone ever had a parent of a child in their classroom as a sub? I had a parent tell me at "Meet the Teacher" that she was a sub and to call her if I needed her. I like to maintain a very professional relationship with parents and I think I would be very apprehensive about having one as a sub. However, I don't want to cause tension or have it be weird when she finds out I had a different sub. I don't need a sub anytime soon, but just wondered about other people's experiences (if any) with this. :thanks:

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

I would just tell her you don't schedule the subs and the secretary usually schedules them so that they are used equally, and that if she would be interested, talk to them. This is actually the truth in my school. Then if you really don't want her in there, just explain that to the secretary or whoever schedules subs, and request that they not use her for your classroom.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

The only problem would be if the kid is one of those who's behavior goes south when mom is in the room. Additionally, it depends on whether or not she's a good sub. I had a parent sub in my room last year with no problems.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

Subs in my district generally are not called to sub in their own child's classroom.

6. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 26, 2007

I've had some good parent subs and some bad parent subs. Ask other teachers how she is. Did she sub in her child's classroom last year? I had one parent sub (two years with two kids) and I loved her. But she went into "retirement" as her kids left middle school. :( Sometimes the kids are less likely to do stupid "sub" stuff when they know the parent - and they know she knows their parents.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

Here as well. It's a confilict of interest.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 26, 2007

I had a mother and a grandmother sub last year. The only problem is that we are a small town and the mother talked about my kids in the community. (by the way, I did not schedule them.)

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 26, 2007

I would think it is a conflict of interest. The parent shouldn't know as much about the other children in the class. Plus if something goes wrong, it would affect the parent/teacher relationship. As a parent, however, I can see the appeal of being in my child's room for the day.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

In school, my friends parent subbed, and her mom subbed in her class several times. Of course, when you get into MS and HS, it would be impossible for the sub coordinator to keep that from ever happening (talking a district of over 8000 students). Prior to my student teaching (2nd semester), a parent of one of my students had subbed for the class. I didn't hear of any problems. I have subbed for my sister.
    I really think it depends on both the student and the parent. Some are fine, others definitely NOT!!

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2007

Parents can be great subs

I love parents as subs. Since they have volunteered in the classroom they know the routine, songs, etc. and the kids are comfortable with them. The kids don't misbehave because it is someone they have already established a relationship with and they know they will see them again. The other parents would rather have someone they know than a stranger. It has always worked out great.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 26, 2007

I have had a parent who subbed and it worked great every time. They know the kids (and have known many for years) and are usually great about following what you ask. The parent who subbed for me was also an artist, and would share his talents with the class. That was a bonus!

13. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Aug 27, 2007

I have 2 boys in elementary, a small school district. I told the children's teachers that I was going to start subbing and I had 5 teachers request me even though I said I would rather not sub in my sons' classrooms. They really like having some parents sub because kids tend to be better behaved and the sub usually knows some of the classmates.

14. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2007

Here you put in for a sub, and usually the subs check the lists & sign up for jobs. I had a parent who subbed often- but only once for me. I have another child of hers this year, and she might sub for me this year I guess. She had more experience compared to other subs I have seen- plus she is going to school to be a teacher.

15. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

It is the same way in my school. For me personally, I would be uncomfortable with a parent sub in my class.

16. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

it's not necessarily a bad thing. Two years ago there was a particularly difficult 6th grade class... but one of the moms of one of the students (a popular kid, and sometimes ringleader of trouble) was a sub. When she was a sub the students were really well behaved for her because her son was good with her there, and she knew several of the boys in the class because they were her sons' friends.

17. roamer

roamer Companion

Aug 27, 2007

I think it depends on the professionalism of the substitute/parent. I've subbed in both of my sons' classes at different times over the years and it has worked out well. I do not play favorites and the teachers have always been satisfied with my work. The kids are usually been well-behaved for me, especially my sons' friends (who sometimes give the regular classroom teachers problems).

There was one mother who subbed in our school, though, and she should not have been allowed to be in her child's class. She expected that she and her children should receive special treatment because she was a sub.

I can't say that our school's teachers maintain a strictly "professional" relationship with parents, though. It's a small community and often teachers and parents are friends. Sometimes teachers taught parents when they were little. Heck, in one case one of our teachers taught a student's grandparent!

18. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

I teach at a small school in the country, so a lot of our subs are parents. Most of the time it works out. I guess it depends a lot on the parent/sub. I liked having parents come in sub for me b/c they know the children and the class routine. I just make sure that I tell the sub to keep up with the managment plan and not to let the children take advantage of her. I am taking maternity leave and a parent-sub ) will be in my room while I am gone.

19. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2007

I subbed in my sons classroom when he was in 1st grade. It was towards the end of the year and I had established myself as a good sub in the district. It was no problem at all. I have known where there was problems with parents as subs. Some are good and some are not. If you are not comfortable with it try to avoid it.

20. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 27, 2007

I don't. I have used parents after I have had their child, but not during. I think if they are in the room subbing they are privvy (sp!) to too much confidential info even if it is just, "Susie doesn't answer questions, Joe has trouble with basic facts..." In my school the parents are huge gossipers and I would be afraid this is what they would do.