Parent Workshops --- What was your MOST successful one?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by gr8_life, Dec 5, 2006.

1. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Dec 5, 2006

Any ideas for parental workshops for preschool parents. Many are second lang. learners from lower SES backgrounds.

3. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Dec 7, 2006

Is there a better thread to place this question since I'm not getting many replys? Apparently every one MUST have a life?!

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 7, 2006

Hi Gr8 Life,

I'm a parent in a co-op preschool and we have parent education workshops once per month. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2006

I teach in a similar situation as you, and I also have to do 4 parent ed. sessions a year. Two are designed by the county for me - of those, one has to be math-based (that one is set up like centers, where the kids and parents rotate through activities together) and one has to be reading based (more like a lecture with a storytime at the end). For the very first one of the year, we usually do a potluck dinner and I show the "1.2.3 Magic" video. In all honesty, that is usually the best attended. So that leaves one for me to invent...I've sometimes done a fine motor make and take session, I've also done a kindergarten readiness session. I've had the police come and talk about child-safety and do fingerprints of the kids, and I've had the library do a library night where everyone gets library cards. Of all of these, the fine motor was the most helpful, but also the hardest to prepare for, and the library one was the easiest one to set up.

Hope this helps!
    Kim

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 7, 2006

I used to work for Migrant Head Start - 100% Hispanic and low income. One time we had the mental health consultant talk with the parents about parenting skills. He talked with the parents and then they all had a casual conversation - with parents bringing up the issues they had with their own children. The parents really enjoyed this!

7. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Dec 16, 2006

We have to do 2 parent meetings per month as part of our Title I requirements. I hope this is what you are asking about.

Some that have worked best for us have been bringing in the library to discuss their free resources (story time, English classes, books in Spanish), disciple and parenting stradigeis, our local PBS sends out great representatives to give interactive lesson on letter knowledge, enviorment print, etc..

We have also have done centers nights (math, science, reading, writing) using easy to make games that the children have already learned in the classroom. This are great if you have materials for the parents to take home and play.

We do two bedtime storynights where everyone comes in their pajamas we model good reading stratagies and do a follow up project like decorating gingerbread houses after reading The Gingerbread Baby.