Parent Workshop on incorporating math in everyday activities..in a fun way.

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by stephy4142, Dec 8, 2007.

1. stephy4142

stephy4142 Rookie

Dec 8, 2007

Hi,

I am developing a workshop for parents, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas about books for either parents or children about that talk about math. Also, if anyone has any activities that would incorporate math in a fun way into everyday activities? Thank you.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 8, 2007

Go Figure, by Johnny Ball, published by Dorling Kindersley, speaks to both parents and children about why math is incredibly cool. Barron's Math Wizardry for Kids is all about noticing mathematical patterns in the world around us.

4. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Dec 9, 2007

I teach kindergarten, but will give you some ideas of what we suggest and I do with my 3 yr old child. We play counting games at home, he starts on one, I say two, he says three, etc. up to 100. We look at the clock when we wake up, go to bed, eat lunch, etc to talk about time. We add and subtract food that he gets/has eaten. We make patterns with his blocks. We also have some of the write on wipe off books with shapes, colors, and numbers. We count by 10's just for the fun of it. He gets stickers every day in daycare, and we count how many he has, how many more is it than yesterday, how many do we have left to fill up the chart. We have sesame street number cards that we play memory and go fish with. Anything at all can be turned into a fun lesson at home!

Off the top of my head, Chicka Chicka 123, and one of the books by Jon Scizska (sp?) He is the one who wrote the True Story of the Three Pigs. It might be Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Fairy Tales. Thomas has a lift the flap book with numbers.

Hope these help.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2007

EveryDay Math has lots of games built into the curriculum. I know other curriculums do to. It would be cool to have the parents learn how to play these games so they can be played at home too.

Maybe the math curriculum where you teach has those games and you could have part of your workshop dedicated to teaching the parents.

My own childrens' school district has a math family night sereral times a year just for that purpose.