Parent Workshop Ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by stephy4142, Sep 7, 2007.

1. stephy4142

stephy4142 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

Hi,

I am a senior in college and will be doing my student teaching hopefully in a grade 1/2 classroom. I am currently taking a working with parents course and need to design a workshop that I could potentially present to parents. It has to be a 20 minute presentation atleast.

However, I do not know what topic to choose. I was thinking of doing it possibly on ways parents can help their children with homework. I think I'd focus on either grade 1 or grade 2.

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for topics. This is for my final so I have sometime, I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas about topics that are current.

Thanks in advance.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 7, 2007

I think a workshop on homework assistance would be great! You could also present something on how to read aloud to your child (books to choose, questions to ask, etc).

You could show them ways to incorporate the core subject areas in family activities: grocery shopping, car games to play that are academic, etc.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2007

I think homework assistance is a great idea!! You might want to include ideas for places to do homework (ie, somewhere quiet, no distractions) I agree with presenting how to read aloud to the child.

bandnerdtx, can I just say that I love your name. For the longest time I was trying to say it as one word(silly me), but it finally clicked!! I was a band nerd in texas as well.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 8, 2007

Thanks, Smalltowngal! :-D I'll always and forever be a band nerd!