parent woes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linzi, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

Oct 1, 2014

Hey fellow teachers!

I hope you are all well. I am writing tonight because I am TIRED of emails that contain lines like...

"My concern is how is he to study for a test he has no notes for or a study guide. I wanted to know how the note system works for your class... "

Now, I don't get emails like this often, but I feel like when I do get them it takes me forever to write back to address all the concerns parents have in a thorough way that actually reflects how I handle business like this in my room. By the way this parent is awesome in general, but I can't stand it when they take their kid's word for it. OF COURSE he has notes- he fills in his interactive notebook EVERYDAY!! OF COURSE the syllabus is PAGE 1 of the notebook and it details exactly where students are to pick up work from when they were out. And YES he should know how to do that by this point in the school year- we talked about it every day for almost 2 weeks. I go way above and beyond for my kids and it is really annoying to me to have to take like 20 minutes or more of time I should be using to cook dinner and get grading done to write an email that explains how things are done when I've written it down in multiple places, discussed it at length with students, physically showed them how to pick up their absent work, etc. UGH!! Why???? Rant over.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 1, 2014

I feel ya.

I have a lot of highly involved parents of freshmen that are very concerned about their children getting an A in the class. Many of my parent emails go like: "I don't understand why some of the answers to the test questions weren't in his notes." Ummm, because he has to THINK through the information I gave him and APPLY it to the test question.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2014

I don't think that you should be spending 20 minutes writing responses.

"All his notes are in his interactive notebook."

5. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

Oct 1, 2014

2ndTime- I hate the whining that ensues when kids have to think through a test question lol. I have seen plenty of that myself. Caesar- you are right. I don't know why I do it to myself. It's probably partly to prove to them that I have my stuff together (I'm a newbie in my 2nd year and want them to trust me) and partly to let them know that their kid is probably leaving out important pieces of information. I need to get over it- but knowing and doing seem to be two very different things for me.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 1, 2014

I agree, Caesar.

I might add the syllabus is glued into the front of the notebook outlining procedures for work pick-up if there have been absences.

If you provide no study guide also in one sentence note that all information needed for the tests are in the interactive notebook so no additional study guide is provided.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2014

If you have a website at school, post the syllabus, procedures for acquiring missed work due to absence, and any calendar that lists upcoming tests a week in advance. It can be your go-to bible and backup plan and support system. It is hard to argue with what is in black and white.