Parent Wish List

Discussion in 'General Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 16, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

What would you ask for from your parents (wish list) during open house or back to school night?

Last year I asked for inside recess games and magnets.

I am not sure what I should ask for this year that parents would feel comfortable buying.

I am thinking about colored copy paper, and more inside recess games, white board markers. Cant think of anything else.

What do you normally ask for?

3. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

• Lysol
    • Gift cards to book stores (for teacher resource books) or Scholastic donations
    ($$ or multiple-copies for novel sets)

4. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

Last year I asked for Post-It notes, Clorox wipes, Treasure Box prizes, tennis balls for desk/chair legs...

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Did you actually get gift cards? Did the parents seem offended?

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 16, 2010

I am answering this as a parent even though you didn't ask for parental imput :whistle:

As a parent, I understand you are giving me a "wish list" and I would expect to see everything from kleenex to electric pencil sharper to dvd player. And as a parent, I understand I have the option of tossing the list in the trash, or buying something I could afford.

So, make your wish list a true wish list :)

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

As a parent what type of things do you remember seeing on the teachers wish lists.

I'm glad you chimed in. You would be great to have as a parent.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

labels
    play-doh
    gift cards
    labels
    specific items from oriental trading
    google eyes
    fancy pens
    labels
    tissue paper in certain colors for upcoming projects
    labels
    velcro dots
    white paper lunch bags
    printer ink
    labels
    paper plates
    plastic cups
    plastic silverware
    did I mention labels??

(I can't remember what else)

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

What type of labels and what do you use them for?

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 16, 2010

Oh my gosh . . . it's been years since my kids were in elementary school :p

I do know when my youngest daughter was in 3rd grade her teacher asked for a DVD player. Several parents chipped in together and bought one for the classroom.

Some of the things I do remember
    *magazine subcriptions - highlights (I don't even know if this is still published)
    *PC Educational games - at the time there was some kind of game with a rabbit??
    *Books of course
    *electric pencil sharpener - she even specified what model - no one blinked an eye :)
    *the balls that go on the legs of chairs - told us where to get them
    *games
    *balls for the playgroun
    *jumpropes
    *seems there was some science stuff

And on Christmas, my oldest daughter's 3rd grade teacher sent us her wish list as a letter address to Santa - she wrote about how great her students were and how she wished she had these things for her students classroom. Easiest teacher christmas present I ever bought :)

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Wow! A dvd player. I can play dvds on my computer but a dvd player. Thats nice.

With the x-mas list -thats a good idea. I would much rather have gift cards as a gift then a parent assume what I want. I got tons of index cards last year. I did not need them. I had over 500 already!! lol

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

I use labels in our journals. In our reading journals, I have premade labels for whatever we're doing. For example, if we are focusing on character feelings during interactive read aloud, I'd have a premade typed label that said:
    Character Web
    Wemberly Worried
    7-16-2010

I know its great if students write their own tite and date, however I just don't have time when we're responding. They do write their own titles and dates in their science notebooks, though.

I use the 2x4 labels for anecdotal record keeping. Sometimes I use sticky notes.

Sometimes I type their math problem solvers on labels so they can quickly slap those in their journals. Sometimes I just type them on regular paper and they glue them inside.

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Good ideas!

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

I've never sent home a wish list before. But at Christmas our parent organization does a tree with wish "ornaments" on it. On each die cut ornament we write one wish list item for Christmas. They can take an ornament if they want to buy us something, buy something not on the tree, or not get anything.

15. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

How do you get the parents to come in during the christmas time? My parents would never come in to see the tree. Unless we held a holiday party. Even then I don't have that many parents come in.

I would rather just have a list at open house and they can grab a sticky note with an item on it.

That is a great idea though! really cute.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2010

I believe we seperate our lists in to two categories for parents; wish list and need list. Need list is usually what their kid needs to have for school for themselves plus kleenex. The wish list is usually what the classroom as a whole could use. Though I have to say, Kleenex is a big one because when we run out, the kids are using the hard paper towels from the big roll. That doesn't last long before someone gets their parent to bring in a box or two.
    Copy paper is another big one that we have to ask parents for with all of the budget cuts, we don't recieve as much of that anymore. I don't know many districts in our state that are getting things like that this year.

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

My school's on a military base-we don't have any buses. All of the kids either walk, ride bikes, or get picked up by parents. So we have a lot more parents coming in. I think our parent organization sends home a note about it too.

18. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

I always had a variety - paper towels, tissues, colored copy paper, pens, pencils, Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, markers, etc.

At my first school, I would get tons of supplies - one parent bought one ream of every pastel copy paper they had in Staples :)

At my current school - last year I received one pack of construction paper. The economy hit has been a hard one.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

If you have to fish for ideas, is the wish list necessary?

It seems as though the wish list exists merely because it's possible, not because there's a real need. If there were things you really needed, you wouldn't have to ask for suggestions.

As a parent, I'm more than happy to help with the things my kids' teachers need to help educate them.

But that's not what this sounds like at all.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

Just remember that everything contributed by parents for the classroom belongs to the school, not to you. If you move schools, all the items must stay there.

21. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

I have never even heard of a wish list before. Personally, at my school, I would feel very selfish asking parents for more. We send home a small supply list of the basics (not exceeding $20), and we have trouble even getting that. I know that they have difficulty finding the money for those supplies... I would hate to make them feel guilty for not contributing more!

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

UVA - the wish list is typically supplies that the teacher would have to purchase out of pocket. At my school, we are not allowed to require students to bring in supplies that would be considered communal - such as tissues, paper towels, copy paper, etc. The school also does not provide these items to us, so the wish list is simply for parents who can afford to and would like to contribute. If nothing comes in, I pay for it and no hard feelings - times are tough.

23. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2010

I put stuff on my wish list that I often find myself running to the store to pick up - and if I didn't actually get it from parents, I would still do that, because I need it, but I don't need EACH child to bring it. And, yes, it's communal.

Safety pins
    sticky backed magnetic tape
    dry erase markers
    Sharpies (of all colors and sizes)
    rolls of paper towels
    playdough
    wall hooks (those 3M removable kind)
    blue poster putty
    clorox wipes
    baby wipes
    label sheets that can go through the printer

I would get some parents who just grabbed paper towels from their pantry because they wanted to contribute, but didn't have much money. That was great! Then, I'd have some that bought multiple packages of labels from Staples for me, probably spending $20. That was great, too.

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 17, 2010

Thanks everyone for the ideas. My team always does a wish list but last year when I started it was hard to think of stuff I might need.

I like the copy paper idea. We did not have enough of that last year.

Alice-its a wish list...if parents do not want to buy they do not have too! I was only asking for ideas. sorry!

25. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

I think it is sometimes hard to think of ALL the things you will be using throughout the year. A wish list is definitely necessary at my school and for the types of activities we do... I tend to add to it as I remember more things.

I guess it just depends on your personal feelings and where you teach. I teach in a very supportive community where the parents are always asking what I need. I have parents who tell me they're going to the store and ask what I need. I have found a wish list allows them to easily see what is needed. I keep it on my website. Not every single parents contributes to the list and that is fine. I definitely would not be willing to afford all of the items I've suggested, but it seems that my parents understand these items will be used by their children to enhance their learning.

26. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 17, 2010

It is hard to think of things. Especially being so new to teaching. Last year my parents always asked me what I needed and at the time I could not think of anything. Then as the year went on I had to purchase with my own money because I never sent out a wish list with a bulk of things that I might need.

It does depend where you teach and the surrounding neighborhoods. My school community is very supportive. Anything I did ask for I got. I never was upset at the parents who could not or simply did not want to provide.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

27. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Last year was the first time we were allowed to put up a wish list at my school.
    I asked for...
    Kleenex
    Lysol/Clorox wipes
    plastic silverware -> a parent brought me this huge box that I'll still be using next year :woot:
    various sizes of Ziploc bags
    hand sanitizer
    paper towels
    I can't remember what else

I tried to think of stuff for science experiments that I knew I funded out of my own pocket and stuff like the tissues that the school 'provides' however they only give them to us once a 9wks. Like one small box of tissues is going to last through the cold and flu season. :dizzy:

28. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 17, 2010

I usually have my wish list posted on my website and it includes things that we frequently run out of but never stop needing.

Tissues
    Clorox wipes
    Hand sanitizer
    Hand soap
    paper

29. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

About how many items do you wish for? I do not want to go overboard?

Also if you request outdoor recess games what would you suggest besides balls and jump ropes?