Parent wants to friend me on FB.

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Milsey, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 8, 2011

I didn't like his son, and I only met the guy at school conferences. I don't want to set a precedent. :unsure:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

So ignore the request.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

I wouldn't friend parents or students.

5. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 8, 2011

It is actually against our school policy to friend parents or students on Facebook! I wouldn't friend a parent anyways though.

6. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

I'm friends with a parent on facebook! The only reason why, though is that we are friends. In real life. And we teach on the same team (she has a very strong opinion on not teaching her own children). Under normal circumstances, though, I would never want a parent as a friend on facebook. Professional life needs to be kept professional and personal life (e.g. facebook) needs to be kept personal.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2011

:yeahthat:

Seems like an obvious choice.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

Same here.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 8, 2011

Then don't accept the request.

I ignore some requests. I accept some. I teach in the same town where I grew up, so some parents are people I know outside of my career. I accept most of those. Today I accepted one parent of a current student because she had been one of my former students herself. Now, she doesn't get the same "rights" as my other friends, but I have all friends in different categories.

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 8, 2011

I would just ignore it! I am friends with one parent on FB, but she is also a secretary in my building and I knew her before I even had her daughter.

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2011

Facebook is notorious for going through your address book and friending people. It is highly possible he e-mailed you once or twice for school related issues or put your e-mail in his contact list so it is available if needed. HE may not be friending you, FACEBOOK might.

Ignore the request and don't give it another thought unless he personally e-mails you.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2011

I would NEVER accept a fb friend request from a parent, no matter what. It just opens up a can of worms. How many stories have we heard about parents getting teachers in trouble for seemingly innocent things on their fb? I would simply send a message back saying we weren't supposed to friend parents, in case they might be offended. I don't know that my school actually cares, but I'd want some sort of excuse so the parent didn't feel offended.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2011

Ignore the request....
    Doesn't matter whether or not you 'like' the student (truthfully that part of your post bothers me more than the FB request), it's just not a good idea to mix your personal life with parents or students on FB.

14. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I don't friend parents or kids. I've had a few request me on facebook. I'd rather ignore the request than friend them and have an issue down the road.

15. Avery

Avery Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I had this problem this year. I actually had to lie after the 3rd request and tell the parent we weren't ALLOWED to accept parent or student requests. Officially, that's not true, but I just would not accept her request, no matter how many times she ambushed me.

16. k-tchr

k-tchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

I would ignore it.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

definitely not. Why did he even try to befriend you on FB? That's insane.

18. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 9, 2011

I have my account set up so I don't show up in searches and my picture doesn't show up. The only way to "find" me is if you we are mutual friends.

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

If you like the parent, accept it. If you don't like them, then ignore it.

Unless you lead a life that is scandalous and full of drunken debauchery. If that's the case, then WHY ON EARTH DO YOU HAVE A FACEBOOK!

20. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Using the Facebook privacy controls I made it impossible for anyone who is not a friend of a friend on Facebook to be able to even find me using search. This way I won't get friend requests from anyone who doesn't have a mutual friend with me. I figure if I really want someone to "friend request" me, I'll find them.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

And why on earth haven't you grown past the scandals and drunken debauchery?? :lol:

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

I do not put anything on my FB that I would not want my principal and do not let others tag me. That said, I have a rule that I do not friend anyone that I work with, any students, and any parents. I am friends with a very few students that I have taught in the past and most of the ones that I am friends with are teachers.

23. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

Is there a setting for that or do your friends just know not to tag you?

24. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

But the real person needs to check off "add to friends" Yes sometimes Facebook sucks in your email address book-but you have to agree to it and put in your email password- and then they will produce a list of all the people in your address book that you are not friends with yet but you have to check off each one individually.

Also, the ignore button is not longer there- not it says 'not now" I have heard that choosing that gives them some rights to your page??? I have not been able to confirm it, so i have just been leaving the unwanted friend requests sitting there.....anyone know???

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

My "wild days" were all before the invention of digital photography. Film was expensive back then. Hence, we didn't all stand around taking pictures of each other acting like idiots. For that reason, there is no photographic record of me or any of my contemporaries doing anything other than posing in front of historical landmarks in a dignified manner.

26. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 10, 2011

This is true.

27. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

Facebook will not "friend" anyone in your address book without your permission. You have to click that you accept that they will add people from your address book. This is why you should slowly read everything when signing up for those sites.
    I would just change privacy settings. If you want, you can accept the friend request but then block him from seeing everything you don't want him to see (your photos, photos tagged of you, wall posts, etc).

28. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

A few years ago when my brother was around 21, my dad was saying how ''bad" my brother is, how hes always having parties, etc. -after much discussion we decided that its not like he was any less wild, there was just not digital photos or facebook!

29. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2011

There is a setting for it but I could not tell you how to do it because my daughter did it when someone tagged me in a picture from 20 years ago in college and I had a beer in my hand. I can honestly say that it was not even my beer because I hate the taste and NEVER drink beer. Now if it had been a margarita, it might be a different story.:lol:

30. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 10, 2011

You can't keep people from tagging you, but you can keep tagged pictures from appearing on your wall. Also, if you are tagged, you should get a notification. If you "untag" yourself, you can't be tagged again.

31. SuperFudge

SuperFudge Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

Accept no parents and students and then you wont have any problems.