Parent Volunteers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dogs&teaching, Oct 23, 2011.

1. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Oct 23, 2011

I had two parents offer to volunteer to help cutting or whatever else I need in the classroom. Our school does not require volunteers, and I haven't had any offer to before. I teach preschool and each class is 3 hours long. I don't really want to have them come during preschool hours only for the fact their children would be very distracted by them being there. I would really love parents to become involved but I find that the parents become more of a nuisance while I am teaching.

I was considering having a parent volunteer night instead. The parents that want to volunteer can come in one night and help me. I was thinking of doing pizza for dinner or something. Our school gets a really good deal with one of the pizza places. Any thoughts?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 23, 2011

How about having a place for them to work other than your classroom?

My mom volunteered at my elementary school all the time, but I never saw her.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2011

I was going to suggest the same thing as Ima Teacher suggested. Is there a teacher work room, or some other place? I'm just wondering how many volunteers you'll actually have in the evening, when the rest of the family is coming home, dinner needs to be made, school-age children have homework, etc.

5. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Oct 23, 2011

Actually, there's not another place other than my classroom. All of the other rooms in our school are classrooms. Teachers don't have a work room or anywhere to eat lunch. We eat lunch in the library which is also a classroom.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2011

Can she work in the library?

7. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 23, 2011

I was going to say the same thing. Find a spot for them to work outside of the view of the students.

8. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Oct 23, 2011

They have class in the library during school hours. My classroom is also in a building separate from the elementary. The only option is doing it in my classroom.

9. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Oct 23, 2011

I am a preschool teacher and I use volunteers all the time in my classroom...

First I make volunteer bags for parents who want to cut or assemble something for our class (I send home Readingatoz letter books weekly and they are a PAIN to assemble so one parent always makes them for me) I include a thankyou note, specific instructions, stapler, and extra staples - Everything the parent needs to complete the task.

But I also find if parents want to help out in the classroom in does not become to distracting after the first few times as long as you prep the class, have specific tasks for the parents, and monitor it as it starts. I will often ask parents to come in as an "art helper" to allow both my co-teacher and myself to spend more 1on1 time with our students and just lend a hand. I will usually have the "art helper" monitor some sort of process art activity....it is a BIG help

Plus it is really awesome to bring the parents skills and talents into your classroom community - I have a bi-lingual parent who will be teaching a short Spanish lesson each week I am nervous because I am not sure how best to support the parent, but very excited for this experience for my class!

Side Note: During holidays and graduation I recognize the help the parent volunteers p rovide with a small token from the children in the class and a thank you note (at graduation I publicly recognize their help).

10. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 24, 2011

Have you actually tried to have a parent in the room doing tasks? I have found it totally depends on the student on whether the parent is a distraction. Some kids don't even notice their parent because they are so engaged. If you don't want to try I completely understand, but it may be worth a try if you think the student can handle it.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2011

Or maybe you could give them something to take home and bring back.

I think the pizza night is a cute idea though. You might get some more volunteers and if it is helpful it might be something you want to do once a month or marking period. You would have to have a lot prepared in advance for them to help, though.

12. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Oct 24, 2011

I was going to try to have the parents come in, but the one parent's child has been having meltdowns all of a sudden when mom goes to leave. Mom and I have been working on this issue for the last couple weeks and don't want to fuel the fire.

The once a month type thing is what I was going for. I tend to have the whole month prepared in advance. I hadn't thought about sending it home and then having them return it.