Parent Volunteers grading school work/homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissKite, May 9, 2014.

?

Is there a conflict of interest allowing parent volunteers to grade?

1. Yes. It can create issues and some unfair grading.

27 vote(s)
    84.4%
  2. No. All parent volunteers can be trusted.

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Maybe. That's why maybe there should be hired teacher assistants instead.

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. MissKite

MissKite New Member

May 9, 2014

Parent Volunteers correcting school work/homework

Do you allow parents to correct school work and homework and if so, do you ever notice that some volunteers are more nit picky towards certain children that they do not like or because the volunteer doesn't like the child's parent?

Should allowing parent volunteers to correct school work and homework be allowed? I know it takes the work load off but is it really putting too much power in the hands of biased parents?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 9, 2014

I didn't like any of the poll choices. I have never allowed parents to have contact with student work. It is a privacy issue, not just an annoyance issue.

4. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 9, 2014

Same for me. I would never allow it because of privacy.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 9, 2014

I also don't do it for another reason-correcting their work is how I see what mistakes they are making; who is getting it, who isn't. I have never had anyone else grade something.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 9, 2014

If this is for graded work or work the teacher is going to retain it's clearly a FERPA violation (assuming you're in the US).

As far as homework goes, you should pretty much expect that parents may be pre-correcting their own child's work anyway (I go back and forth over my feelings on this: on one hand it's best to correct mistakes as soon as they occur, on the other the teacher should be seeing what mistakes are being made).

In a sense, being "extra nit-picky" is theoretically doing the child a favor if the child can take it as correction rather than a blow to their self-esteem.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 9, 2014

I didn't like any of the poll choices. I would never let a parent grade anything -- it is a violation of FERPA.

I would also never ask an aide to grade anything, because I need to know which problems are being missed, and figure out the reteaching that is necessary. An ending score doesn't tell me that -- looking at each test/quiz/assignment question does.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 9, 2014

When I was in the classroom, I would do all of my own grading. I had to explain this to a para one year who was upset with me that I wouldn't let her grade anything. I want to see each child's work. I don't even like it when teachers let parents file corrected work. I don't need a parent looking at another child's work.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 9, 2014

:yeahthat:

In my opinion, teachers should always grade their students' work. When I grade tests or papers, I am seeing what students are understanding or not understanding. I take notes on what needs to be re-taught to the whole class, or to certain students. I don't give work just to put a grade on it.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 9, 2014

Grade kids work for the same reasons discussed above. Parent grading is a confidentiality issue:2cents: and truthfully, I never asked a para to grade either. Assessment is my job as a professional educator.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 9, 2014

I agree with everyone. I have never, and will never, allow a parent to grade work. Not only is it a privacy issue, I need to grade work so I see and understand the mistakes they are making. I had a para that liked grading work, and once, I allowed her to when I was really overloaded. But I never looked at it, so I knew that allowing someone to grade things for me could never happen again.

Now that I am in K, my sub, a retired teacher from my school, 'graded' their work for me when I was sick the other day. I was extremely grateful, but I also don't assign grades in K, so it is not much of an issue. No new skills were taught that day, so I know the mistakes they are making.

12. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 9, 2014

I agree with the reasons stated above. However, one thing parent volunteers or paras could help out with is progress monitoring, the kind of stuff you do over and over like math counting skills or reading WPM, if it's an objective procedure that the volunteer is trained to do. My former mentor teacher used to have her parents and even her husband help out with weekly and quarterly progress monitoring. They would also add brief anecdotal notes. As long as they're not assessing their own kids, I don't think that would be a problem.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 10, 2014

Do you use a program like AIMSweb where you input PM scores? My old school did and that would be a huge no, no! Bigger than grading student work.

My current school doesn't do any RTI procedures except benchmarking. I'm a data person, so I regularly PM students. For example, I have focused heavily on sight words since I took over my class. I PM them once a month. In between PMs, I have a parent volunteer that will run through the flashcards with them. I do ask her to record how many they successfully identified. (When I run through, I keep data on each specific word.) This allows me to see if they are at least getting more words with just a single glance at the chart. The data collected by my volunteer is just for my personal information.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 10, 2014

I have never allowed parents to grade papers for me, not because I worried about unfair grading but for privacy reasons. The parents have no right to see the grades of any children but their own.

15. bora

bora Rookie

May 10, 2014

As a sub I am not allowed to correct school work/home work.Parents shouldn't be allowed either. Even when a teacher leaves me a note to correct their work, I don't do it. I don't feel comfortable doing it since I am with the kids only for a day.
    I did it once though during my first week of subbing. The teacher wasn't happy about it. Never again.

16. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 11, 2014

I do AIMSWeb (I don't use parent volunteers), but the mentor teacher I was talking about didn't. I think the progress monitoring was more for her information/the school required teachers to do it. She didn't have to input the information anywhere official, but had to talk about it at PLC's.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 11, 2014

I've had the same sub pretty much every time that I have been absent this year. She knows me and my students well, and I love when she grades spelling tests and math for me. However, she always leaves it in a pile for me to see, and doesn't send it home with the kids. That way I can just look over their mistakes quickly. With things like math and spelling, the grading is pretty black and white, so I don't mind her doing it. Plus it saves me time, since I was either out sick or at a meeting for the day.

Some things I wouldn't want a sub to grade, though.

18. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 11, 2014

I have student helpers who file, is this a violation of the FERPA?

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 11, 2014

I think one of my most important jobs as an educator is assessing student work. I can't imagine giving this to someone else to do.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 11, 2014

I don't know. I know that our 1st grade team will have the middle schoolers file papers. They also use parents to file.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2014

I have heard that this is a violation in some districts.

This year I have a student who has the wiggles constantly, to the point that staying in a seat for longer than 5 or 10 seconds is almost impossible. However, this student can sit on the floor and file papers into children's folders for an hour...and do a wonderful job!

22. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 11, 2014

Could be. I suppose it depends what they're filing.

FERPA holds that, except under certain conditions, all retained academic records remain private. "Academic records" includes disciplinary records.

So, I'd say if they're filing anything like grades it probably should be a violation.

I think you mean this a little differently than it sounds (or I'm just being picky), but if it's a violation anywhere it's a violation everywhere. FERPA is a federal law. I'm guessing you mean that some districts treat it as a violation or indicate it's a violation in their policy, which would make sense.