Parent Volunteer

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by glitterfish, Sep 23, 2008.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Sep 23, 2008

I have a few parents who have volunteered to help in the classroom this year. While I appreciate their help, I sometimes find myself not really knowing what I want them to do. I don't want it to be a waste of time for them to come in. I know they could do copies/grading/filing for me or whatever, but I feel like they'd rather be working with the students and interacting with their child.

However, having another adult in the room doesn't always seem helpful to me, especially during whole group lessons. What exactly do they do?

My one ideas is to have parents come in during small group reading/centers time and I could give them a list of kids to listen to as they read (and as I work with small groups.) Any tips on how to advise the parent in doing this. Does anyone do this? Do you have a list of questions that the parents ask? Do you have them fill out a checklist?

Send me your ideas, please. :)

3. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Sep 24, 2008

I do 2 minute reading with mine - each kid reads aloud to the parent for 2 minutes.

After that, I have her work through some sound flash cards with particular students.

They then assist with writing - spelling unknown words, helping students gain ideas.

Sometimes they will take a small group and assist with reading comprehension - I give all answers to the parents and some possible questions to ask the students. I also give the parent a bit of time to read the piece and look at the questions and answers and to feel comfortable with the story....

4. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 25, 2008

Well first of all, you probably do not want a parent grading papers or filing them. I don't think that parents should see other children's papers. I think that's kind of a confidentiality thing. At least I feel that way.
    Second of all, just make sure that the parent is there to actually volunteer and not to be nosy or to interrupt class with their child. I guess I feel kinda bitter about parents in the classroom because I had some last year that wanted to come into the classroom basically to be nosy, and some even came in and sat down with their child and the child was horrible!
    Would you be willing to have the parents do storytime with the kids or maybe even some type of craft? I mean I know that's not much, but I think you have to be careful of what you let parents do too.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2008

Lucky you! It is great to have parents available to help out.

You might try some of these from Bloom's Taxonomy book review questions, which can all be answered verbally rather than on paper:

* Where did the story take place?
    * What is the time period in which the book happens?
    * Did anyone in the book do something you did not like? Why?
    * Describe what is happening in the first illustration in the book
    * Did this book remind you of anything that has happened to you? What? Why?
    * What would the main character be likely to do if s/he visited out classroom?
    * Did you like the way the story ended? Why or why not?
    * What problems does one of the characters have, and how does he or she solve it?

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 26, 2008

I have my parents read with my kids one on one or two at a time and progress monitor Dibels. We were just told that our volunteers can not be alone in the hallway with our kids unless they have a background check which costs $15. They can't possibly progress monitor or do fluency readings in the classroom. Anyone else have this rule and what do you do .

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2008

It's a federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). So you're absolutely right for feeling that way (at least in the US).

Note that this applies specifically to academic records that are kept. If they're correcting homework or something for the student's own benefit and the HW doesn't count towards a grade then I think it would be allowable.