parent volunteer

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Sep 16, 2008

I have a parent who comes in every Wednesday from 7:30 until 11:00. She has always done this in her child's class in previous grades (he is in 2nd now). I like that fact that I have a parent that wants to volunteer but I am not sure of how I can utilize her. Our school does not allow volunteers to file papers or stuff homework folders ect.. Also she cannot be alone with the students so I cant use her for a monitor if I need a restroom break. I dont have a bulletin board so having her decorate it is out as well.Any suggestions on what I can have her do?

3. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 16, 2008

Could she work with students one on one in the back of the classroom to give them extra help?

Would her helping to grade also fall under something that she cannot do? Or marking homework that is turned in?

If anything I would really want her to be giving kids ectra help in areas they'd need. I don't see that as being a problem if she was still in the classroom with you.

4. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Sep 16, 2008

copy mom?

5. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

I understand your dilemma--it's great having help, but you probably don't need or want her working with a child at the back of the room all morning. Kids would miss out on whole group instruction. Can she do ANY paperwork/prep work?

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 16, 2008

I would set her up with a small group of children (maybe 2 or 3) to work on some remediation. Could she listen to a child read a story to her (quietly) and then ask some questions? This really helps and motivates those children who don't have anyone at home who read with them.

She could also work with children who don't know all their sight word (Dolch words). She could have each child read the dolch list, checking off the words they know, and then making flash cards of the words they can't say in 2 seconds. Keep these individual card sets for each child in a special baggie, and then she can work on "flashing" those cards to the kid who don't know all their sight words. You will see incredible results.

She could also help by "transcribing" stories for relunctant writers. Once they see their words come alive on the paper, they will be more interested in actually writing themselves.

We sometimes have volunteers be AR monitors (if you use AR) -- helping the children log on properly and find the correct test, and reading portions of it to them if it is too hard (and often the tests are written way above the reading level of a 2nd grade student.) This can be so freeing for a teacher not to constantly be running over to the computer to straighten things out, or to settle an argument of "who is next."

Last, she could work with versatiles or flashcards with addition and subtraction facts for kids who haven't learned them yet.

Hope those ideas help.

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Sep 17, 2008

When I have volunteers I have them work with kids on sight words and listen to them read. Sometimes I have them work on counting coins, math facts or other math concepts. I have had them tear and sort workbook pages, stamp the inside of books, assemble paper books, stamp homework pages, cut out lamination, etc.