Parent Tip on P/T Conference

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutNglue, Nov 15, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 15, 2011

Make sure you have something besides report cards when you go to the conference. Parents can read that at home.

Bring:
    *Work samples (from all subject areas)
    *Assessment info.
    *Brief snapshot of what the child/class is learning academically and where you are headed next
    *Behavior (both social and academic, both pos. and neg.-if any)
    *Anecdotal stories or something that you noticed that child enjoys, is motivated by or interested in. (Parents are looking to see that you know THEIR child and take an interest in THEIR child as an individual)

In other words, back up the report card with evidence, talk about their child as an individual and share a little bit about your teaching.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2011

I hate being read to. That means power points, report cards, or anything else I'm capable of reading myself.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2011

Great post, cutNglue! I have also learned the importance of having exemplars available to show parents. It's sometimes easy to say that a student isn't meeting the standard we are expecting, but it's hard for parents to see what we mean. I always have a couple of samples (with name removed) of work from other students to share with parents if they aren't sure what their child should be doing.