parent/ teacher relationship

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by hometeacher, Aug 6, 2005.

1. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Aug 6, 2005

HI everyone first year at new school and worried about making a good first impression on parents. i will be the only new teacher and i want to have a open relationship will parents. How do i deal with the parents and my students when the parent must leave in the morning.

3. jkkroll

jkkroll Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Be firm and kind and confident (even if secretly you are shaking in your boots). If it looks like you've got it together parents will be more comfortable. Is it your first year teaching or just your first year at the school? I always try to let parents know that I have plenty of experience handling the first day jitters.

I also put together a little packet for the parents to take home that has a cotton ball, a tissue, and a tea bag. The cotton is to help them remember the gentle spirit of their child, the tissue is for wiping tears, and the teabag is to remind them to take some time and relax.

4. hometeacher

hometeacher Companion

Aug 6, 2005

that is so beautiful.
    i quess im just thinking about what might happen.
    from the point the parents drop the children off and i need to gather them together. I know that parents will stay for even longer after the drop off time.
    My style of teaching is quiet and not as silly and loud as maybe some teachers approach to the children.
    So i hope that i dont come across shy or rude.

5. jkkroll

jkkroll Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

I don't know about the policies at your school, but at our school we give the parents about 15 minutes to check out the classroom with their children and then tell them it is time to go. The assisant helps out with any children that may be having a hard time, I start circle, and we close the door. Are you teaching the 3-6 age span? Since I teach straight Kinders (public Montessori) the students are able to separate a little more freely. With 3's it can be more challenging. I have a "starting Kindergarten" packet that describes to parents the best way to prepare and drop a child off on the first day. I can send it to you if you would like.

6. RonnieB

RonnieB Rookie

Aug 22, 2005

I have to agree with you on the "love them and leave them" approach. I have always found that the longer the parent stays, the harder it is on the child. Most times the children who are having anxiety will have it for a specific amount of time after the parent leaves, regardless of how long it takes the parent to leave! So, the sooner they break away, the faster the child can move on. Good luck! Smile and be strong. Don't be afraid to help the parent by physically helping. Sometimes, as a parent, we want someone else to take charge. Just be gentle and kind. Before long you won't remember what September was like!! :eek:

7. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Aug 23, 2005

Hi hometeacher,

I am teaching 3-6montessori since 2 yeas. First time I am dealing with my own classroom. This is what I am doing when I talk to parents. I will prepare the words in my mind what I am going to talk when I approach a parent. If you are prepared u will be confident. Its good that you observe the children so that u can answer to parents questions. I have prepared monthly activities, observation record, and Montessori exercises erc., that I will be doing in future.
    Once again I want to say “be prepared”. If I have any droughts I will consult senior staff.

Jkkroll I like the idea of asking parents to spend 15min in the classroom if necessary. I will put a note on the door. And tell them personally about it.

Good luck to u hometeacher.

8. Jane Smith

Jane Smith New Member

Dec 5, 2005

This my first time to work in a Montessori school. I will be interviewing some parents of children (1 boy & 1 girl) who are moving up from the baby's room to the toddler room in January '06. Could someone kindly advise me on what sort of preparation/ questions I can prepare for the parents that are related to my main focus who is the child. I'm in total agreement with the previous posting that preparedness is a confidennce booster.