parent/teacher conflicts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Abbymarg, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Abbymarg

Abbymarg New Member

Nov 10, 2009

What are some of the conflicts teachers are having with parents and how are you dealing with them?

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Nov 10, 2009

Opinions on fighting, homework, appropriate accommodations.

I have parents who say, "If a kid hits my son/daughter, then he/she can hit them back." It is very difficult to win this battle. I just refer them to the v.p./p if they get out of hand.

Some parents think I give way too much homework. I give reading, writing, and math homework every night, including Friday. It seems as if every parents wants their child on a daily behavior report even if I think they don't need it.

Usually I never hear from parents. Most of the time I'm hunting them down.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 10, 2009

One problem I'm currently having is that my parents are "helping" their child waaaaay too much with their homework. I actually had a parent do a child's assignment in her own handwriting, and when I confronted her, SHE got mad at ME! To deal with this, I have my students do most of their work in class so they're never taking it home.

Another issue I have is parents that have way to much time on their hands and want to email me every other day nitpicking. I don't really have a solution to this. I'd like to tell them that if they think they can do my job better, come try it for a week. Then we'll talk.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2009

Hi and welcome to A to Z.

Question: Is your assignment to survey teachers and find resolutions, or to come up with what you think are potential problems and how they're being solved.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2009

Parents who think their daughters are being picked on by other girls.

I listen, assure them that I'll keep an eye on it, and if necessary, I'll talk to the girls. Mostly it's just listening, because usually the daughter is giving as good as she's getting. But I don't want it to escalate, and it is 5th grade where egos are fragile and are developing, so I do listen and interfere if needed.

7. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

That's a great question! Even if it's only for an assignment :)

I wish I knew what conflicts/problems I was having with my parents when I was teaching preschool last year!
    At the end of the year, the director politely politely explained to me that they cannot call me back because the parents in my class are not happy with me.
    When I asked to explain, she said she is not allowed to give details, it's not something that I did or said, she just thinks that I'm not good teaching preschool.

Kind of hard to work on a problem like that, if you don't even know what the problem is!

8. Abbymarg

Abbymarg New Member

Nov 15, 2009

I am just supposed to see what kind of conflicts teachers are currently having and different ways they are dealing with them and then I need to write a reflection

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

Thanks for answering. It's sometimes hard when people come on and post something that's obviously part of an assignment. As teachers, we're happy to help, but obviously have issues with actually doing the assignment.

As a teacher, I'm having a great year! I honestly can't think of any conflicts.

But as a mom, I'm having a little issue. I'm not happy with my first-grader's reading. I had a conference 2 weeks ago with the classroom teacher, the reading teacher, and the speech teacher. While a lot of it seemed to be "CYA" (they combined the 2 kindergarten classes into one class of 30 because of budget cuts), at least they now have my daughter on their radar as someone to keep an eye on. It's much less a "conflict" than a "concern."

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2009

I only have a problem with one parent- however it is a BIG problem.
    Plain and simple- she hates me. She has hated all of her daughter's teachers. The teacher who had her in 3rd grade cried almost every day.
    She sits at home and comes up with crazy accusations and goes to my P with them. Lately, since my P has not been giving her the attention she obviously desires, she has taken to e-mailing the superintendent (almost daily).
    One e-mail she sent this week was that her child's desk was too close to the sink in my room (which is pretty much in the middle of my teeny-tiny room). She is afraid her daughter will trip, fall and hit her head on it. She is about 2.5-3 feet away.
    Because of the situation, I send all notes I get (and I get one daily) to my P along with a proposed response. She adjusts it if needed before I send my response home. My P also talks to the superintendent almost daily about the e-mail complaints (the complaints are on both myself and the P). I am not sure what the superintendent is replying to the parent. I have not been required to make any adjustments, so I know the superintendent is not bowing to her, either. She is pretty much just a big bully.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2009

I'm personally not having any conflicts currently. I use a pro-active approach in building a strong school-home connection so there are open lines of communication between parents and myself, mutual trust and respect. This prevents the escalation of questions and concerns from becoming 'major conflicts'.

12. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 15, 2009

I am. I teach Grade 9 and it's my students' first year in high school. I have been in regular contact with a parent regarding her child's work habits - he rarely hands in assignments. She says she'll talk to him. It does no good.

Midway through the year, we send out progress reports outlining problems students are handing. This particular student got 4 - one from me, and the other 3 from his other teachers. This mother got upset, called me and basically told me she didn't want to hear it anymore. That I need to take it up with her son.

Fast forward to a few days ago. I am friends with this student's teacher from last year. This teacher told me that she ran into the students mother last week and she proudly told my friend that she chewed me out.

Report cards go out next week. He's failing one of the two classes I teach and I'm sure it's not the only one. Parent-teacher conferences is the week after that. I'm not looking forward to it. His other core subject teachers and I have already decided to do his conference as a team. Hopefully she gets it.

It does make me nervous, however, that she was bragging about "giving it to" me. I don't do well with confrontation, nor would I know how to handle it in this situation.

13. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 15, 2009

I teach high school too. The biggest issue is grades. If a student isn't getting the grade a parent wants they come up with a list of complaints. With 90-120 students it is impossible to keep in constant contact with all parents. I do call all parents at the beginning of the year. I do my best to keep them posted but every once in awhile a parent has their own personal temper tantrum.