Parent/Teacher conferences

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tgtbtj, Oct 8, 2010.

1. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Oct 8, 2010

Hi all I haven't been on this forum for awhile! I never realized how busy I would be as a teacher, I hardly have any time to be on the computer except to check my email and take attendance. So this is my first year teaching and I need advice from the rest of you master teachers. We have parent/teacher conferences in about 2 weeks and I was just wondering what would you recommend I have ready to discuss with the parents of my students. We will have progress reports but is as far as student work is concerned, what should I show them? Thanks for all the help!

3. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 8, 2010

Always start out by saying something positive about the student. Parents love to hear their kid praised - I know I do, and mine are grown. Be honest with parents, but in a tactful way. You want the parent on your side. Be able to show them some of their child's finished work - both good and bad. Let them know that Little Johnny can do it -- he just needs to try a little harder at paying attention, getting his homework done, etc. Let them know to feel free to set up a day with you to shadow their child. If possible, give parents a listing of what you will be covering over the next few weeks. Maybe provide some websites than can assist them in helping their child with homework, projects, etc. VERY IMPORTANT - Let them know you care about their child and end the meeting with a positive comment about their child.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Oct 8, 2010

In addition to the progress reports you could show samples of name writing, a self portrait/other drawings, scissor skills sample (draw lines straight, curve and zig-zag have students cut on the lines as best as they can).

5. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Oct 8, 2010

My parent teacher conferences were this week. I had samples of work to show parents along with averages for each subject. At the end I asked each parent if they wanted to write something encouraging to their child. It would be anything from a quick I love you to something more. I will put them all on the students desks next week so it will be something they can keep for encouragement throughout the year.

6. brightsky351

brightsky351 Rookie

Oct 12, 2010

Some good things to have for parents to see is their child's work from the very beginning of the year to this point in the school year. You can show up to three examples just so your students parents can see the developmental changes even if they are slight.

Progress reports tell all about the academics, but I have found that any integrated literacy/ art/ science or math work is great to show.

Good luck!:)

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 12, 2010

We keep a writing binder that I normally start with. At our conferences, the children normally come, so they walk through it with mom or dad (and this is really helpful to have when you are awkwardly waiting 10 minutes for a translator). I also have a paper with questions parents can ask their child as they are reading. They are questions that help develop the child's comprehension. So that answers a lot of the parents' questions of "how can we help at home?"

8. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Oct 13, 2010

Parents also want to know how their child is getting along with classmates. Be sure to have specific examples. Does the child initiate play? Can he join in a pretend play game? Can he cooperate and collaborate with peers? I also talk about attention span, problem solving and perseverance. I think these are very important qualities in a young student.

9. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Oct 16, 2010

I know what you mean about the positive comments :) I don't want to start off the conference by telling the parents that little jonny hits the other kids or can't sit still! I think i'm going to make a little list for each child with positive and negative or things they can improve on.

10. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Oct 16, 2010

Thanks everyone for all the advice. My conferences are this wednesday and i'm getting stressed out about it. I think i'll be ready I just want to make sure that I cover everything that i'm supposed to!

11. mellowred

mellowred Rookie

Oct 16, 2010

Something I haven't seen mentioned here yet is how to prepare parents for conferences. I have found that parents are as stressed as we are over these. For first time parents it is probably the first time they have listened to a teacher report, they only remember what their parents came home and said after their conferences. So I always send home a little prep letter that tells them what to expect. That what we will really be doing is sharing information about their wonderful child. And that really is what I intend to do. I also ask them to think of what they think are their child's strengths and weaknesses and to think about what questions they have for me about their child and/or the classroom.

And then I do start out with the most positive thing about their child, then ask them about their reflections on their child and THEIR concerns. Usually parents have the same concerns I do. If not, by the time we have had the previous discussion(s) they are ready to hear what I need to say. You really can't share your concerns and expect them to be heard if you have not established a relationship with the parent first.

I find that samples of the children's work are not really what they came to see. They see that all the time in the work the child brings home. Only if there is something truly unique that I have saved would I spend time on that kind of thing. Or unless that was my main concern.
    Melody

12. Kaylee hutton

Kaylee hutton Rookie

Oct 18, 2010

Generally the tarent-Teacher conferences usually occur around the time report cards are sent home. Tensions may be high, and tempers may flare when grades do not seem to coincide with what parents expect from their children.