Parent Teacher Conferences

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by dogs&teaching, May 27, 2010.

1. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

May 27, 2010

Our school has parent teacher conferences once in the fall and once in the spring. The preschool only had conferences in the spring.

Another teacher had made the statement "I don't see why preschool has parent teacher conferences. Why even have them?"

So I began thinking, how many have parent teacher conferences? Do you have once a year or twice a year?

Thanks.

3. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

May 27, 2010

We do conferences in spring and fall. The fall conferences give a chance to get to know parents better and build a relationship. It also helps to have conversations about children who may be having difficulty. The spring conferences are a chance to show growth. It does seem a little crazy to do them so young, but it does help to build that relationships with parents which is beneficial to the program.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 27, 2010

For our EC (Sped) Preschoolers, we do them 3 times a year, whenever we have goal updates to go home. We do the first set right before Thanksgiving (the whole school does them at the same time), the 2nd set February-ish, and then at the end of the year or with their annual review (my district does all AR's at the end of the year). We go over goal progress as well as their basic class progress.

We also do them the week of Thanksgiving with the at-risk parents. Last year, the program I was in required them 3x a year. I think our here just does once, although they also get a "report card" updating progress at the end of the year.

A huge component to preschool is the home component, as I always like conferences as a time to talk with the parents to see if what we're seeing at school is what they see at home... talk about any behavior needs... etc. It's also a great way to be able to suggest activities that can be done at home to extend their learning. IT also means that if there might be problems in school, we're catching them EARLY and not waiting until their kid is in "big school"

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

May 27, 2010

Our state funded preschool program requires us to do 2 home visits and 2 parent teacher conferences. I don't mind the first home visit and the conferences but I find the 2nd homevisit to be a waste of time.

6. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

May 27, 2010

We don't have formal parent/teacher conferences, but I'm always available by appointment to meet with any parents if they have any concerns, and I schedule appointments to meet with them if I have concerns.
    This was the first year that my school did screenings and we met with parents if their child fell below the marker or scored above.

7. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

May 29, 2010

We have 4 conferences each year-- 2 home visits and 2 in school conferences. I won't lie. I hate them. They are important, but I hate them. Most of our parents have no idea why we need to talk to them and are nearly impossible to schedule conferences with.

I've just come to preschool from public kindergarten and I do the same things at preschool conferences that I did in kindergarten conferences. We talk about goals for the child, look at assessment data, talk about whatever else might be important for that child, and give the parent activities they can do to support what we're doing in school. Four conferences are excessive. Three would be better. Two would be ideal.

8. Preschool_Rocks

Preschool_Rocks Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

I work for Head Start. We have to do one home visit before school. A parent/teacher conference in November for our first marking period using the Creative Curriculum assessment and DECA. Then we do a second parent/teacher conference in March for our second marking period using CC and DECA. Then in May we do a second home visit/parent/teacher conference at the families home discussing the thrid marking period using the CC and DECA.