Parent Teacher Conference when you don't know the student...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachingHistory, Dec 17, 2012.

1. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Dec 17, 2012

I'm starting a 12-16 week LTS this week. I will also have a parent teacher conference the first day back from break. At the time of the conference I will have seen the kid a grand total of 3 class periods, one of which is cut in half. The teacher said she is leaving me notes, and the conference is with all of this student's teachers.

I know I'll be relying heavily on this teachers notes, because I don't know the student at all. I plan on going through the student's work as well so I'm not completely clueless and speaking to the guidance counselor to make sure I know what is going on.

Any words of wisdom on how to handle a PT conference when you don't know the student?

Thanks a bunch!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 17, 2012

Is this with all of the other teachers at the same time? If so, you're in luck. You should bring the notes you have, but explain that you have recently taken over the class and are still getting to know Johnny Student. Let the other teachers talk a little more, and take notes of what they have observed. Hearing from the entire team, especially on the middle school level, makes such a difference. You might find out the bad attitude in Social Studies starts with a bad interaction in Math class.

4. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Dec 17, 2012

Thanks for the advice. That's basically what I had in mind, its good to know that it was a good thought.

Yes it is with the whole team. And I already know all of them from subbing.

The funny part out of all of this, is that out of the 200+ students at this school I know well, this is one that I cannot for the life me put a face to his name.