Parent Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SillyMonkey, Aug 6, 2010.

1. SillyMonkey

SillyMonkey Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

The day before the first day of school we have a Meet & Greet for parents to bring in their kids. I like that the kids have a chance to get to know the school, the room, and me before having to come without parents the next day.

During this time, most kids explore the room but the parents just kinda sit around and expect me to talk to them. I would rather have them interacting with their kids and the classroom and begin modeling how to behave in the classroom.

So, I wanted to have a scavenger hunt this year. I would give parent and child pictures of things to find in the room (bathroom, blocks, books, etc.). Has anyone else ever done this who may have some suggestions for me?

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I asked about this last year. :http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=90187

I copied what scmom did. I made a page with 9 squares with different areas of the room for the kid (with parents help) to find. It was fun and I did hear parents really talking to their kids about the areas - which gave me good insight into the kinds of parents I had to look forward to.

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

The way I am doing my hunt is with their school supplies. I prefer parents to help their child to put the supplies away in a box. I find it easier to move to the appropriate shelf if all my crayons are in 1 box. Anyways, so I set the scavenger up like: Place your crayons in the box on the big colored carpet or put the hand sanitizer in the box in the bathroom.

It lets them see the room and all its parts while still getting those supplies put away. LOVE IT!

5. SillyMonkey

SillyMonkey Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

love it!

I love the school supplies idea! That's a great way two get both things done. The problem I have with school supplies is not having where to store them once I get them...

I don't think I'd be able to do that because not everybody brings in their supplies the first day. But I am looking forward to doing the scavenger hunt with the parents. Hopefully my parents will respond as positively as yours did. Thanks!

6. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

Thanks skittle and sillymonkey for your ideas and starting this idea. I am having a registration/open house the day before schools starts and I was unsure what to do. I am going to do a scavenger hunt, make a welcome poster for the kids to sign, and have a wish list on frog cutouts so parents can take them and bring things back.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

yes my way to look at it - keep those parents (and kids) busy. Parents, is left without anything to do, tend to camp out. I want them doing something purposeful. Plus when it comes time for the kids to be at school without parents they can remember going through the room with mom or dad and feel comforted by that.

8. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

What type of things are you going to have them find? I started to make a list (which is hard because I havnt even seen my room yet!)

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

I make a grid on paper with 9 boxes like a tic tac toe grid.

#1 bathroom
    guided reading table
    Word wall
    math shelf
    library
    their seat
    computer station
    backpack area
    promethean (magic) board

Each place they put their supply (that is what I do because they always bring them to meet the teacher - well actually it is called Early Supply Drop-Off)
    At each place there are also sticker that they can place on that spot on the grid. Then they move to the next place.

10. SillyMonkey

SillyMonkey Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

thanks

thanks so much for your help!

I started making my scavenger hunt list, it includes:
    -bathroom
    -hook for backpack
    -library
    -and teachers (figured this would be a good way for me to get a picture of everybody)

Can't wait to try it out!

11. gluestickny

gluestickny Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

This is a great idea!!!!!!! I was looking to do something different this year for the first day of school and I am definitely going to use this!

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2010

I also have a different version than a scavenger hunt. I have posters around the room at the different centers and interest areas that say "When I play I am learning......" and parents go around and read them (kids can play) and there is a worksheet they can fill out so I know they did it.

13. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

My students find:
    -their cubby
    -dramatic play
    -blocks
    -the book shelves
    -the computers
    -the water fountain
    -the bathroom (I have them flush)
    -the sink (I have them wash thier hands
    -their coat hook (in the hall)
    -the ActivBoard (interactive white board)-used to be the calendar
    _the last square says "Get your pciure taken" I take an individual head shot and a family picture which hangs in our classroom all year long.

14. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

Here are a couple of good ones to add to a scavenger hunt.
    Meet a new friend and write down his/her name.
    Locate the office and write down the secretary's name.