Parent Related Literacy Activity

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ashtrey, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Aug 31, 2007

I am required to have a literacy night for RIF...........Does anyone have any ideas for any activities to do with the children and their parents. The children will all receive a free book.....Any ideas??

Thanks,
    Ashley

3. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Sep 1, 2007

Craft projects that relate to the book are always great...and you have the parents to help their children..so it works better than when you do it in class. Also, making some sort of food that can be related back to the story is always a hit. For example, I have read Tacky the Penguin to students. Then we make penguins out of Oreos and Hershey Kisses. They love it! And there are all sorts of penguin art to chose from.

4. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Sep 1, 2007

Thanks for your ideas. I am not sure what books are going to be given to us from RIF. Does anyone know if you get to choose your RIF books??

Thanks again,
    Ashley

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 1, 2007

We don't choose the books, there are just assortments sent in bulk from Scholastic. The kids go in and choose the book they want (we can't even make suggestions).

When we do RIF there is a theme chosen, I think it was a jungle theme last year so the door said "Going Wild for Books" or something like that. It could be any theme, that may help you with an activity.
    You could have the parents make a mini-book, pop-up or accordian-style book that the kids could write in. I'd keep it a more general literacy activity.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2007

Partnering with Parents

There is a great book called Partnering with Parents - Easy Programs to Involve Parents in the Early Learning Process by Bob Rockwell and Janet Rockwell Kniepkamp. It is published by Grphon House and the ISBN is 0-87659-231-0. It has ideas for many different family meetings involving literacy, math, music and movement. Better yet it includes patterns for invitations to the meetings, reminders, nametags, a mixer activity while people are coming, stations, and then an evaluation for parents to fill out.

For example, one meeting is called Bananas about Books. The mixing activity is everyone has the name of a nursery rhyme character put on their back and they go around asking people yes/no questions until they are able to identify their character. The stations involve making an environmental print book using a cereal box as a cover, making a look and touch book using shapes and textures, making an accordion book involving number recognition and sequencing, and making a reading necklace with the child's name, age, favorite colors, foods, etc. The evaluation has pictures and asks "How ap"peel"ing was this meeting and they choose bunch of bananas or a person slipping on a peel and they can add comments.

Anyway, it makes it fun and less work trying to invent things to do. Probably best for preschool - 1st or 2nd. I bought the book at Barnes and Noble a couple of years ago.

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 1, 2007

We've done a successful Dr. Seuss Night and we have the puppet Cat in the Hat come (call Barnes & Noble Books they will hook you up) and have a giant cake w/Cat & Hat and kids read and have parents come read w/them. Kids were given stuff to take home w/Dr. Seuss theme too in a little bag. It was very fun and lots of reading went on. Kids also questioned the Cat on everything from if he has a girlfriend to what is his favorite food. A Barnes & Noble employee spoke for the silent cat who only mimed. It was very fun. I've also had them come just to my classroom. If the puppets are at the store they pick 2 or 3 schools that week to also have employees go out to. Call and see what weeks different characters come out (Clifford, others)