Parent Rant

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 7, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2009

There is a parent in my classroom who is already driving me nuts! Here is her record so far:

-Showed up for Open House at 6:05 (it was from 4:30-6)
    -Was the only one out of 21 students that didn't bring her daughter's school supplies to Open House. There was a letter sent home asking parents to bring them.
    -Showed up on the first day of school 30 minutes after school started with her daughter's school supplies (interrupting class)
    -Her daughter was the only one who didn't have a towel for rest time
    -Put her daughter's snack in a lunch bag. She was confused and ate her snack for lunch. I had an informational page I handed out at Open House that clearly stated "PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOUR CHILD'S SNACK IN A LUNCH BOX. This can be confusing and they often think their snack is their lunch."
    -Showed up the 2nd day of school. We have staggered entry, so her daughter was only supposed to come the first day of school and have the 2nd day off. She is the only one out of 63 kindergartners who showed up on the incorrect day.
    -Brought her daughter right to the classroom in the morning, before the bell rang, instead of waiting where the drop-off kids are supposed to wait. I handed out an entire page at Open House explaining drop-off/pick-up procedures and I clearly stated "Please do not bring your child to their classroom before the bell rings."

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Poor little girl! I feel like it's going to be a long year with this one!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

Just remember: the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... be prepared for the little girl to have similar actions!

4. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

oh boy. I hope once you get the mom into the routine it gets better!

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

Sounds to me like she just isn't reading anything that is sent home.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 7, 2009

Oh my! Hopefully it's just a case of not reading the info as opposed to blatantly ignoring the requests. And then you just have to hope she eventually realizes it would be a good idea to read notices from school!

7. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 7, 2009

Be happy that it's only one parent out of the whole class.;) I only had 7 parent show up for p.o. and I still have a few that don't have school supplies or just brought 1 box of crayons and paper. When I send papers home, I let the kids know what they are for and remind them many times that they need to have their parent look at it. The best thing that you can do for this little girl is to help her become responsible for her own education (kind of a sad thing at this young age :().

8. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2009

Isn't there always one? For your sake, I hope she's just getting used to everything and will fall into a routine....soon!!

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2009

I have a couple of thoughts on the empathetic side -

-she may be drowning in all the details and hardships in her own life - she may be trying but not quite keeping her head above water

-is she literate? I have one who "kept forgetting her glasses" but it became obvious she couldn't read.

If it continues, try a phone call to kindly and empathetically explain routines to her.

On the other hand, she may be on of those who does her own thing. You will find out soon enough.

Good luck.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2009

I had those same thoughts as well. She may have learning disabilities or cognitive issues that keep her from understanding and/or being able to read the info you send home.
    It is a student like this who needs extra TLC as it sounds like she comes from a home that is a bit disorganized and/or chaotic.

I think a phone call is in order as you have a direct means of communication with the parent and can maybe get a better idea of why she hasn't been reading the information.

Good luck!! Hopefully when the routine becomes more familiar you won't have to deal with this.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2009

She seems well-educated. This is her first child in school (she has a younger son), and she is currently living with her parents.

I know it's not good to make judgments, but she seems kind of like a wild woman. She came to Open House wearing really tight clothing, super-high heels, and a lot of make-up.

I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt for now, but if things like this continue I'll have to call home and just remind her to read the notes. I just feel bad for the little girl and the fact that her mom keeps forgetting/ignoring important things!

12. jeweledpoet

jeweledpoet Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

Be thankful it is only 1!! I would say only 5 of 20 kids brought some school supplies(not the entire list!) and only 4 showed up to open house. I also am in a low s.e.s area, so I expect this.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 7, 2009

I know I am very lucky, which is probably why I'm annoyed with this 1 parent. My school has only 6% poverty. I was looking at the information sheets on my class, and 20 of the 21 students live with both parents. Also, 20 of the 21 went to pre-school. I should count my blessings, shouldn't I?

14. jeweledpoet

jeweledpoet Rookie

Sep 7, 2009

Oh wow, that is ideal!! :) Don't let this parent get on your nerves, at least she is getting her child to school each day. Which may be a struggle for her...maybe get to know from the student or siblings what the family life is like? They could be going through a divorce, or just lost job, etc...
    I have a kiddo who is a repeater and he comes to school late EVERY day. I used to get irritated with the dad and would give him the talk about how this is not helping his son. But one day I saw in the pouring rain, without jackets, without umbrellas, that he walks his son to school everyday from a couple miles away. I now think respect him, at least he has the decency to come rain or shine to make sure his son is at school.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2009

If she's living with her parents, it's entirely possible that her world just fell apart and she's struggling.

I know that a LOT of stuff fell through the cracks at my house last year when the sky was falling. I felt awful every time I had to write still another "here's what's happening at our house NOW, can you keep an eye on the kids for a reaction" letter, and I KNOW we missed some of the notices that went home.

Sometimes life and death just get in the way of school, hard as you try not to let them. I say you give her the benefit of the doubt.

16. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Sep 7, 2009

I am also in a low socio-economic area. I only had 5 of 12 to show up. You never know what's going on at home. I had a child last year who was next to the oldest of 6 children. The older sibling was in 1st grade. Sometime after Christmas, they moved in with different family members because they couldn't all move together. She was more often late than not. She told me she didn't have clean clothes to wear. You could tell that she had just woken up and most likely had not eaten breakfast. It was nothing for her to come in at 10:00. School started at 8:30 She was my brightest student and after spring break she did not come back. She continually said they were moving for about a month. What some students have to endure is so sad. You only hope that the parents are doing the best they can for their children.

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 8, 2009

There are probably alot of scenarios that could be the problem for this parent. I find that SO many parents (single or not) just have no idea about working within a timeframe or schedule. They don't understand deadlines, or any type of boundaries. This being her first child in school, she probably has never had to be on a schedule.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

Well, I am hijacking this thread somewhat, but out of the five days we've been in school, I have one child who has been tardy 3 times, and today he and his sister did not show up. Mom did not give us a current phone number so we have no way of contacting her. Ridiculous. Previous records in their files indicate this has been going on for years. The older sister has several truancy records in it. Sorry Pigeon, I know your situation is frustrating too. At least your little one shows up even when she doesn't need to.:lol: I just wish mine would. :(

19. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

Can you enlist the help of the grandparents if they are living with them right now?

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 8, 2009

You have to wonder what's going on in this parent's life. Build that relationship with the parent. I wonder if she can read.