Parent questionnaires

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jul 16, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 16, 2019

Does anyone send home a digital version of the basic start of the year parent questionnaire instead of a paper version? You know... The kind that asks for contact info, child strengths & weaknesses, hopes for the year, and other things they want the teacher to know.

I'm thinking it would be easier for me to reference the info if parents complete an online version but I'm not sure whether all parents will take the time to fill it out online. It also seems less personal. What are your thoughts?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 16, 2019

You could always give the option to do paper or the same version on a Google form.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2019

I like the idea of doing it digitally since it took me hours to input info from 95 students this year into a google doc.

However, I think it depends on the demographics. I don’t think my parents from last year would have done the survey, but most handed in a signed syllabus with contact info and answered a few brief questions.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 17, 2019

Be grateful that you are choosing between online or paper. In my district, we do this in person through home visits that take place before the start of the school year. We do get paid for them, and they can be insightful, but I think I'd prefer to forgo the money and have the extra time during my summer.

If I had the option to do it without meeting with every family individually, I think I'd start by sending an email with an online form and giving a deadline. If it were not completed by the deadline, I think I'd send a follow up email with the link again, plus also send home a paper copy. If you know that some families don't have email, then I would just send home a paper copy right away.

otterpop likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 17, 2019

This is a good idea, thanks.

7. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 17, 2019

I'd give the option of either. Like with the initial paperwork include it in that. You could provide both the hard copy and link to the form or however you're going to do it. Phrase it like here's a c copy but if you're more comfortable doing it online here's the link for that as well. My only caution would just be aware of how long your survey is, just because of the massive amount of stuff they're already going to have in front of them to fill out and what not.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 17, 2019

I usually have very good participation from parents when sending home the paper version, regardless of whether the form is long or short (I've used various forms). I'd estimate at least a 90% return rate. That rate drops greatly as papers get sent home later in the year, however. Another goal of mine is to keep parents engaged throughout the year, rather than solely at the start.

Aces likes this.
  9. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 17, 2019

Parents, like students, start to check out. And I know I'm guilty as charged on that one. Like last year during hockey, it got to the point I was going "Really!? You've got another game!?"

otterpop likes this.