parent question

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by kimrandy1, Sep 9, 2006.

1. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2006

I teach PreK, and have also taught 2nd and Kdg. My own daughter is in first grade this year. My school assesses kids with DIBELS, and the reading teacher does the assessments. Last Winter, the reading teacher came to me and told me that Gracie did the oddest thing during her DIBELS. When reading the list of letters, she turned her paper sideways and read it from the bottom to the top. She read it sideways....so I started watching her, and she does that often. She also writes that same way - turns her paper sideways, writes from the bottom to the top, and then fixes her paper and it looks fairly normal.

The reading teacher suggested having her evaluated for eye issues. I found a pediatric opthamalogist, and she has perfect vision.

At the end of the year, her teacher told me she has an exceptionally difficult time with puzzles and with tangram activities. We worked on some things like that this summer, and she didn't really improve. And then, this week, her first grade teacher told me two things. One is that she writes too often in "mirror writing," where she starts on the wrong side of the page and continues right to left with each letter perfectly formed backwards. The other thing is that she is not turning her paper, but she is moving her chair around to the side of her desk, which basically puts her paper in the same position in relation to her body.

SO, part of me wants to have her assessed for dyslexia NOW. The other part says that she is learning to read at an appropriate pace (she reads on a 2.4 level right now) so leave it alone. I also wonder about her visual processing. I'd love your opinions on the matter (our special ed teacher wouldn't touch this since Gracie isn't a struggling student).
    Kim

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2006

I have no special ed background.

BUt you're concerned enough to think about having her tested. What would be the harm? If she's not, she's not, and you know. But if she is, how wonderful it would be if you could get her some coping strategies before she started to flounder!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 9, 2006

I don't have experience with this, but I do have experience with the self doubt as a parent. Go ahead and have her tested. You will feel better either way. I did the same thing with my oldest and his speech assessment. Nah, he's fine. He's progressing. He's just a baby. Turns out he DID have a delay. Now other than his normal preteen mumbling, he talks fine. The same thing happened again with eyesight. We got a "failed the screening" notice from the school. My husband and I BOTH thought..okay no biggie just a screening. We didn't believe it. Turns out he REALLY needed glasses. He compensated so well.

I'm not saying your daughter has anything, just that you will feel better once the self doubt is erased. And you are a caring enough parent to make adaptations, etc happen at a natural level. Go for it.

5. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 9, 2006

Sounds liek dygraphia and form of dyslexia that has to do with writing is her handwriting messy? I find it hard that she has learned to cope with it at such an early age and not seem to have any for of reading dyslexia. Does she write with her right hand but try to use her left hand or vice versa? Maybe she has been taught to be a right but is really a lefty. Does she do the same with numbers? can she dial a phone? I say get her tested to ease your fears if nothing else they might be able to tell you why she does this if it not dyslexia.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2006

I haven't had her try to dial a phone. I'm going to try that today. She does do the same thing with numbers, and, no she doesn't switch hands while writing. She's been strongly right-handed since she learned to self feed using a spoon. I'm going to do some research on dysgraphia now, that's something I'd never heard of before now.
    Kim

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 10, 2006

Does she tend to look out of the corners of her eyes rather than turn her head to look at things staight on?

8. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Sep 12, 2006

Not that it is much help, but I had a 6th grade students doing a counted cross stitch Mother's Day craft and I had a student completely reverse the pattern----He has made great gains in reading over the past year, but that really blew me away.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or seen anything similar to this? He is a unique guy-and part of me thinks he did it intentionally to make his look different than everyone elses, but I see a lot of dyslexic tendencies......

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2006

Well, I talked to the pediatrician today at my dd's 6 year check up (we're a couple of months late...) and she suggested an "educational pyschologist" for advanced testing. I guess that's the way to go. The things I've researched about dysgraphia don't clearly point to Grace...all of the issues she has ARE part of it, but there are lots of other parts that clearly don't apply to her. I do think that's a great jumping off point for delving further into her issues, though, so thanks to the poster that suggested it!

And, yes, she does look straight at things. I had to watch her for a while today to determine if she did or if she turned her head, since I'd never paid close attention before!
    Kim

10. AZDocStdnt

AZDocStdnt Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

kimrandy1,
    Getting your daughter tested will give you peace of mind. The educational psychologist/school psychologist (depending on your state--the school may even provide the testing) will give you tips that you can use with her.

For example, one technique is to trace letters in a small sandbox. Kids love it--and it helps with the motor skill development.

11. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Sep 13, 2006

Good Kim, I hope things work out and youget a peace of mind. Please let us know what you find out.

12. Alitig1

Alitig1 Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

My 5 year old son does the same thing with mirror writing and reading from botom to top and right to left and it happens most often when he is told to hurry and finish. He learned to read letters and numbers backwards - he always looks at 5 and 2 and reverses them. I have been trying to get someone to take it seriously for years now and have been told they won't do any testing for it until 1st grade - he's in Kindergarten now.

Good luck

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 13, 2006

Some reverse letters and numbers are very normal. 2s and 5s are popular reverse numbers. The other stuff, I don't see much.

14. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

Check out this site: www.disabilityrights.org OR it is disabilitiesrights.org Either way, go to the parents section and read how YOU can request the evaluation process and 'jump start' this process.