Parent participation schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by John Lee, Jun 3, 2014.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 3, 2014

Anyone work in this type of environment? If that isn't familiar, it is basically a school where parents are obligated to donate a certain amount of time to working in their child's classroom/school. Basically, the school is crawling with parents.

My question is how different this sort of environment has proven to be, for those who have done it. I may have the opportunity to work in one, but I'm conflicted.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 3, 2014

I subbed at a school like this. I worked for two weeks straight in one room and about a day a week outside of that assignment.

It was for our public pre-k. It made no difference because the parents refused to participate. Since it was a one-year program it made no difference to the parents. They knew they wouldn't really get kicked out and their kids would be in a different school the next year.

At my kids' elementary school there was tons of parental involvement. About 20% of the families there were really involved. It was perfect. The kids got all the attention they needed and the school wasn't overrun with parents. Of those 20%, I'd guess that each family volunteered about five hours per week. Then there were other families where a parent could only volunteer here and there, mainly for big events.

I got to know the teachers pretty well while I was there as a volunteer and a sub and they seemed to like the level of involvement. Sometimes they got irritated having to attend fundraisers and such. But towards the end of my stay there the school figured out a rotation schedule so not every teacher was expected to attend every after-hours function.

Some teachers did not want parents in their rooms at all. So parents didn't go in there. They didn't approach it very well though and would often complain later that they didn't get the same amount of help as other teachers.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2014

I teach parent participation preschool and LOVE it! In my program, I get to know the parents very well and I feel like I made a difference in their lives, and the lives of their children. We also do parent education discussions every week to help strengthen their parenting skills.

The key is to make the parents feel valued and needed. Keep them busy.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 3, 2014

We have a Pre-K program that sounds very similar. It's called the Parent Co-op Preschool.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 4, 2014

This happens to be in a very high-performing district. What I'm wondering about is how I use the parents in the classroom. AFAIK, at any given time, there would be probably 2-4 parents in the room. With this level of involvement, I also would like to know the dynamic that develops within the school. I'm a very flexible and easy-going person; I get along very well. Still, with so many cooks in the kitchen, I'm reluctant to accept a position should it be offered. Especially considering the thought that I probably will be offered a position in a "regular" class environment (i.e. it will be very straightforward).

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2014

I teach at a private school where parents are required to volunteer a certain number of hours per trimester.

The school also hires many moms to work in the office/library. So, our school is definitely crawling with parents. It's actually nice because if I need to quickly chat with a parent, they are typically found somewhere on campus. We also have moms who tend to just hang out at the school, as well.

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jun 4, 2014

I don't have any experience with this. But I know I would hate it lol.