Parent Packets/Newsletters

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bina1357, Aug 4, 2005.

1. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

Hi there,

I send home a packet the 1st day of school w/a letter of intro & some info on my policies & procedures. I've done the same set up for 6 years & I'd like to see if there's anything unique or different I could put in there.

Could you tell me what kind of letters make up your parent packets? I'm having a team meeting tomorrow morning & would like some different ideas to present to them.

Thanks in advance!

Tina H.

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 4, 2005

In my parent packet I am going to put a letter, a copy of my procedures (homework, birthday, etc) and a questionnaire.

Now here is my question this is the 1st year I will have a fulltime aid. In my letter do I introduce her? I want to have a good relationship with her and don't want to leave her out. What do you all think?

4. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I would definitely introduce her. Not only will that make her feel like a part of the class, but it will also let the parents and students know that she is important to the class and not just another "warm body" there to help when needed.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 4, 2005

Thanks Teener that is what I thought too. I have already added her to my welcome letter.

6. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

My partner teacher and I also include a mini-syllabus for each subject area. It's nothing major. We just touch on the major topics and skills that will be covered throughout the year.

7. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 5, 2005

I was send the parents a survey sheet to complete on their child. It asks for strengths, weaknesses, goals for this school year, birthdate - a medley of things. It is very brief, but very informative because you get to know what your parents think about their child.

8. Julie

Julie Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

A friend of mine made a die-cut of a tree frog (their school mascot) and printed a label to put on the front with her contact information and put a magnet on the back. I am going to do this this year, however simpler, I am going to print my info on a business card. I figure parents can put it in their wallet which they have most of the time anyway.

9. MzB

MzB Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Another goo dthing to send home is a monthly calendar, with a sidebar with the themes of the month for reading and math, and then put important class and school events on it.

I want to send some things out to my students, but two of my four boys have parents that speak spanish only. I by all rights should be fluent, as many years as I took it, but I've never had to use it, so my vocabulary is rusty. Do you think I should do separate things in spanish for them or do a double translation thing on one set? I'm kind of excited about it, because the teacher last year (she had the same two boys) had to always call the ESOL office to call the parents for everything, and they had to have a translator for the IEP meetings. But I digress LOL.

10. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

Isn't there a way to type your words in spanish? I mean microsoft word is used internationally. They must have a function.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2005

As far as parents thato nly speak Spanish, my mom had a helpful hint that she's used with her Spanish-only parents: (they all had someone at home who could translate for them)... she put a yellow smiley face (or star, or whatever your signal is) in the top right corner on papers that had to be returned to school (or the ones that were really important, like there's lice or pink eye or whatever)... the parents knew these were the most important papers to get to, and thus the ones thy should get help with most importantly... this really helped those parents. :)

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 6, 2005

Clarnet that is a good idea. I will be working with in a school this year with a high number of Spanish speaking students. I am forunate to have an aid that speaks Spanish b/c I don't know anything. I took French in high school and college.

13. shrinkingviolet

shrinkingviolet Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

I have also seen teachers use a certain color paper (say yellow) for things that needed to be signed and returned. Very helpful to parents quickly flipping through the go-home folder.

As for the letter/packet, we send ours out a few weeks before school starts, and include a picture of the classroom teacher and any aides or staff in the classroom. Helps the kids feel like they already know you on the first day of school.

I completely agree about the information sheet on the child. We ask for what the child likes to be called, favorite colors, etc. These things can be helpful for planning groups, and when you are able to include these things in your curriculum, the students really feel that you care about them as people.

Good luck with your packet!