Parent orientation night

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 7, 2013

We're doing this in a couple of weeks and I'm needing to do a brief letter to inform parents of this event. The goal of this meet is to have parents be aware of what our expectations and the school are as well as having them be aware of classroom procedures and the need of parent support in order for the students to be successful.

I'm thinking my opening line will be something to the effect "you are cordially invited to our parent orientation night. We are looking forward to meeting with you to discuss how we can best serve your child's educational needs...... This is where I'm looking for suggestions as to how to phrase it in a positive manner while trying to get parents to buy in to being active in their child's educational need.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

Do any of your coworkers have one they've used in the past?

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 7, 2013

"Think of your child's success in class as a three-legged stool. Your child needs the support of teachers and parents together to keep that stool standing upright. Let's get together to discuss the best way to maintain that balance."

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 8, 2013

It's the first time we're doing this and I'm needing to have it done in both languages for our team.

Thanks Cat, I'll see how I can write something to the effect in Spanish.

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 8, 2013

Thanks again, Cat. Here's the meat of what I came up with:

....at our school learning is seen as a team effort between parents and teachers. In my classroom, our common goal is to facilitate your child's improvement to being an independent & joyful learner. To do this, it is important that you and I form a supportive team so as to best meet the educational needs of your child. To initiate this effort, I would like to meet with you so that you can become familiar with our classroom, it's procedures and the learning expectations. I wouls also like to discuss how as a team, we can best help your child reach their educational goals.....

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2013

Good start but how you follow up is key. As a parent I've walked away with two different reactions. One is that the teacher really wanted to work with me. The presentation included what to do when the child is struggling with expectations. For example, talk to the teacher if the student is struggling and together we will work to determine where the difficulty lies and come up with a way that will best help the student be successful. The other is that it was a fake plea and all that was expected is I follow the exact instructions the teacher was presenting along with it being my problem only if my child was struggling. For example, if my child was struggling it was my job to re-teach the concepts or work more with my child to ensure my child's success.

Make sure your vision of working together really is working together. Great start though!

8. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 8, 2013

We send home a T/F test for parents and tell them they need to come to the presentation to get the answers. Sometimes we put provocative statements to stimulate interest. The discussion for the T/F test organize our presentation to parents.

T/F Your child is not expected to do any deep thoughts this year, just to get in touch with feelings and become one with himself/herself.

T/F If your child does not read at home, it's possible he or she will not make a years growth.

T/F If you'd like to save some money on postage, have your child pass out a few invitations to birthday parties in class.

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 8, 2013

Very interesting Tyler! Love that idea! Not sure I could use it with my parents, our socio economics is low, poor in general but may use it in the future.