Parent Observation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistoryTeach4, Mar 10, 2018.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Mar 22, 2018

I pay part of the local police salary through my taxes. Do I get to ride along on the next drug bust to make sure I'm getting my money's worth?

MetalTeacher and Joyful! like this.
  2. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 22, 2018

With all the crap that teachers have to contend with, I just found it sooooo much easier to just remind myself, I just work here, and do whatever was asked of me. My opinion usually didn't count much anyway, so a bit of apathy went a long way. Heck, I made it to retirement! ;)

Backroads likes this.
  3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 22, 2018

Aren't we all entitled to have our own different opinions and attitudes? Haven't you learned to agree to disagree yet? Did you know in management circles that even you, as a teacher, are considered to be an internal customer? As teachers, we should not only be receptive to divergent viewpoints, but also remain well-read in order to keep abreast of the ever-changing terminology and perspectives that are in vogue. In the constructive spirit of this forum I offer this article which may provide you with some insight and information. I'd be more than happy to read any article that reflects your sentiment.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2018

Pity that we can't go to the kids' homes and observe how the parents stuff up their kids' lives!

Backroads likes this.
  5. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 26, 2018

Is that just your opinion or is it actually the way things are done in your state? Where does the money ultimately come from to pay your salary? It's always been my understanding that taxpayers contribute significantly to public school teachers' salaries.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 26, 2018

I find it fascinating that you are able to pay much of your own salary. Are you by chance self-employed?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2018

I think Caesar meant (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the taxes paid are put into the system, a portion of which (but an equal portion to what others put in) comes right back as the salary. Thus, we pay a portion (albeit extremely small) of our salary as others do.

Caesar753 likes this.
  8. Been There

Been There Habitué

Mar 26, 2018

Mathmagic - No need to explain this elementary concept. I misread Caesar's comment - mistakes do happen.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 27, 2018

Taxpayers put money into the state and district accounts. The state and district PAY my salary. The parents are no more my bosses than I am the boss of the guy who works in the gas station.

As a taxpayer I don't PAY the salary of the cops in my area. Of the public health workers. Of the guys who salt the roads on wintery days. Their employers pay their salaries.

This belief confuses me. For those of you that follow this line of thinking, do you bow down to the parents who own expensive houses more than those that live in tiny homes? After all, the richer parents pay more in property taxes so they "pay" more of you salary than the others.

Does that mean that the parent that doesn't pay any property taxes (lives in government housing, for example) has zero say in what happens in the classroom but everyone else is your boss?

Backroads likes this.
  10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 27, 2018

I think we all know that public school teachers are ultimatley paid from taxes. But that's not the point. For me to walk up to any public employee and demand this and that would generally be considered wrong.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 27, 2018

I think it is okay for parent’s to observe their child/children in a classroom, though very seldom because they want to interrupt the lessons. I think that is what @Been There is saying, essentially. Parents should have the right to observe, but rarely.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 27, 2018

If a parent demands to observe my class, then I politely decline their order. If a parent courteously requests to observe a single lesson, then I politely oblige but with the stipulation that they do not interact with students or myself when I am instructing or giving directives. I don’t know, I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I do it multiple times a year and the parents always leave satisfied and happy.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  13. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 27, 2018

If it is in an IEP the parent already requested, as part of the team. It may not have been you in the meeting, but those in the meeting are representatives of the whole school system.