parent needs help at home

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2nd grade teach, Dec 29, 2006.

1. 2nd grade teach

2nd grade teach Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

I sent home report cards last month, and I let one parent know that her son has a hard time focussing and does not participate in classroom discussions. She sent me a letter back thanking me for the feedback and let me know that her and her husband are the same way. She also wanted to know what ideas I had for her to help him at home. Any ideas?????

3. srh

srh Devotee

Dec 30, 2006

Perhaps they could start out simply--when reading when her son, have her do all the things we do in the classroom...have him predict what the story will be about, what will happen at the end, etc. Then they could discuss those predictions at the end. This would be a good way to gauge just how and when his attention drifts.... it would be a good idea if mom used books with subjects of interest to her son!

Other ideas might include conversations during and following TV shows or movies. Which character did you like the best? Why do you think _________ said that? What else might have happened if ______? This would get the student engaged at least, and help him practice "discussion" time in a safe environment.

I love when parents ask for help like this. Following many conferences, I type up a list of specific helps and send to the parents, usually via email. They are most appreciative, and I know they feel empowered "doing something" at home that is productive. Good question....and good luck!! (I teach Kinder, but the process is the same!)

4. 2nd grade teach

2nd grade teach Rookie

Dec 30, 2006

those are great ideas. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Any chance you would be able to post a copy of the letter that you send home?

5. srh

srh Devotee

Dec 30, 2006

Glad it might help! Actually, I don't have any specific letter--I simply put the student's name at the top, and then think in categories:

Pluses/Accomplishments
    (I always start out with the positives.)
    Goals/Areas for Practice (What the student needs for year-end.)
    Recommendations (Specific helps such as I named above.)

Of course, since I'm an anal type, I also put all the action words (under Recommendations) in bold so the parents can see exactly what it is they'll be doing. I know it helped many of my students last year. It does take a little time (I did it for about half my students last year, mostly at parents' requests), but it is very appreciated by parents who care enough to ask about it in the first place! You're doing a good thing!

6. 2nd grade teach

2nd grade teach Rookie

Dec 30, 2006

thanks for the great ideas! They are very helpful!