Parent needs a little advise...

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by corney, Jan 13, 2010.

1. corney

corney Companion

Jan 13, 2010

I have a mild LD child. She is in 3rd grade.. she is a very bright child but has always had trouble focusing and staying on task. She starts out each grade doing pretty well then once returning from Christmas break she seems to shut down, she comes up with all sorts of reasons why she can't do the work but when pressed she does very well. This behavior is having an effect on her final grades.. I'm in Florida so if she doesn't pass the dreaded FCAT she will be retained.

What I'm looking for is what should I be expecting from her sp.ed teachers.. should they be working on academics only or should they also be working with her to help her recognize why she wonders off and what to do when she does..

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2010

Recognizing that systems and expectations are different everywhere...
    I feel that a big part of my work with my special ed students is helping them to develop a "bank" of strategies to call upon which will help them to be as successful as they can be. I explicitly teach these to the students and work with them to develop a system to help them remember what they should do (this could be as simple as a red dot on their desk or much more complex). We spend a lot of time brainstorming possible solutions ('What do you think would help you get your work done?) and seeing which ones work and which we should put on the back burner. While the student needs to be an active participant in the process, they can't do it alone--if they could there wouldn't be a problem. In my school board, it is part of my responsibility as a Special Ed teacher.

Your daughter sounds like several of my students; if you would like me to help you come up with some strategies that may help, just PM me.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 13, 2010

I will send you a personal message on these forums to an incredibly helpful learning disabilities forum.