parent letter?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iloveschool, Jul 20, 2011.

1. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 20, 2011

Does anyone have their begining of the year parent letter they would be willing to share? I am struggling with mine. What all info do you put in yours? I feel like I am overloading them!:dizzy:

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

I think I overloaded mine too :)

I plan on giving a little info about myself (how long I taught, where I went to school, a few general personal interests) a brief hope for the year that's modeled around my philosophy, and how they can contact me.

I don't want to send too much at once. I will give info about the class rules, birthday policies and so forth in the first weeks of school.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

Here is mine: (I still need to cut it down)

August 2011
    Dear Families,
    Welcome to Miss Froggy’s 2nd grade in Room A-1! I am so excited to begin the school year with you and get to know your child and your family. I’m geared up for a great year, and can’t wait to see the kids trying fun projects, learning lots of new things, and working and playing in a safe and productive environment.

You’ve probably seen me around campus, as I have been at ABC School for six years, but I thought I would tell you a bit about myself anyway. I grew up in this area and attended ABC School as a child! I love working at a place I hold so dear to my heart. I have my MA.Ed from XYZ University, and before teaching in this town, I taught in this other town not far away. I live in JKL Neighborhood in the big city, and in my free time like to take long walks with my dog, attend concerts, volunteer, walk my dog, and take road trips.

You may have questions about your child’s experience in class this year. Email me or drop by before or after school. If you’d like to see what’s happening in class or volunteer, there will be plenty of opportunities for that, too. Once our classroom routines are fully established, I will be looking for volunteers to come in and work with students during reading and science times. I know we will have many fun field trips throughout the year, and of course, would love to see each of you as a chaperone, if possible.

My ultimate goal is to uphold the mission of ABC School. I strive to create a classroom that honors a child’s curiousity and enthusiasm for learning. I do that by providing rich, engaging activities, looking at the needs of the students and taking into account their interests as our curriculum develops throughout the year. In our classroom, the balance of social and academic skill development is foremost. We will engage in meaningful math, language and social learning activities daily, fostering the students’ independence and internal motivation to learn. Finally, in our desire for a strong, compassionate community, we will learn about ourselves and others and find ways to build empathy, understanding, and a sense of giving, sharing, appreciation and respect.

I look forward to a wonderful 2011-2012 school year! If you have any questions before school starts, please ask.

See you on Sept. 8th!

Miss Froggy
    ABC School, 2nd Grade
    555-2222

5. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Jul 20, 2011

I haven't written my parent letter yet, but the last 2 years I have included information about myself, my philosophy, and my goals for the year. Since this is given to parents at our Meet the Teacher Night before school starts, I also take the opportunity to give them our Kindergarten survival guide, which is all of the classroom policies and important information they need to know. I put it in a folder with prongs, and they can take it home and look at it when they need to. I encourage them to call or email me if they have any questions, as we still have 2 non-school days after Meet the Teacher. I go over the big stuff that night as a group. Hope that helps!

6. juliechsa

juliechsa Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

We actually don't do a parent letter since we have to put the same info on our website. The website has a page of my background info, class schedule, homework/latework policy, behavior/detention policy, snack/birthday treat policy, info on some curricula areas, some of my personal heroes, the assignment calendar, PDF files in the Digital Locker, and my wish list. Geez, I need to spend some time update all that before school starts! We use TeacherWeb.

7. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 20, 2011

Wow!! Thanks alot guys!! I feel like I have a better grasp on what i would like to write. I love the web page idea also, but I teach in a poor rural district and only half of my parents have access to internet. I do have a web page and will update it with your suggestions. I have to send out a letter for teh ones who do not have internet.