Parent Letter-please critique

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsNickle, Nov 8, 2007.

1. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 8, 2007

Another first grade teacher and I have received permission from our principal to start partner teaching. We each have our own classroom, but will be splitting the teaching responsibilities and switching classes half way through the day. Here is a VERY rough draft letter to parents explaining. I'm sick and not writing my best, please help.

"Dear Parents,

Beginning November 26, 2007 your child will become part of a partner teaching program that is already taking place in 2nd-5th grade at Waverly Park. Mrs. Nickle’s and Mrs. Diaz’s classes will be the initial first grade classes to start this method of teaching in first grade.

Mrs. Diaz will be teaching your child mathematics, science, social studies, and health. Mrs. Nickle will be teaching your child reading, composition, language arts, and spelling. We feel that by both of us focusing in on a few specific subjects, we can more closely monitor student learning and help each student progress."

Underlined part I especially need help with-not sure I'm explaining correctly. :help:

3. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 8, 2007

I also am tired....and should have gone to bed long ago...but how about this?

We are so excited about this opportunity! Since each teacher will be focusing on a few subjects, we will not only be able to monitor student learning more closely, but will allow us to support your child's learning much more effectively.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2007

As a parent, I would want to know how it is going to work. Are the kids moving from class or are the teachers? How long will they be with each teacher? How are you going to work behavior management? Who do you call if you have a non subject related question? What if you don't want your child in this situation? How are you going to do the transition? Does this mean you have to tell both teachers if you have something they need to know about their child? Lots of questions....

I agree, I don't like that sentence either. Gramatically, it needs work but even more importantly it doesn't convince me this is better for children. Being a devil's advocate it sounds like it will be easier for the teachers because they won't have to prep so many subjects. I'm not trying to be offensive - just taking a possible parent point of view. I dont think the monitor student learning point is really convincing - you will be monitoring twice as many children. How does it help students progress? How can you improve the instruction? What is special and wowy about it?

Not trying to be a pain - these are questions I would ask if I had a kid in the class.

5. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 8, 2007

Ah ha! I love it, thank you so much!

6. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 8, 2007

Great questions-will address in letter, thanks!

7. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Nov 8, 2007

how about setting up a meeting and posting the date and time for it in the letter. i'm sure you won't be able to predict all of the questions the parents will have. this way if they have any questions they can attend the meeting and you can explain everything more efficiently.

8. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 8, 2007

Updated letter:

"Dear Parents,

Beginning November 26, 2007 your child will become part of a partner teaching program that is already taking place in 2nd-5th grade at Waverly Park. Mrs. Nickle’s and Mrs. Diaz’s classes will be the initial first grade classes to start this method of teaching in first grade.

Mrs. Diaz will be teaching your child mathematics, science, social studies, and health. Mrs. Nickle will be teaching your child reading, composition, language arts, and spelling. We are so excited about this opportunity! Since each teacher will be focusing on a few subjects, we will not only be able to monitor student learning more closely, but will allow us to support your child's learning much more effectively.

Your child’s homeroom will be with their original teacher. Students will start their day in their homeroom, switch classes at 12:00pm, and return to their homeroom for dismissal. Behavior management systems will remain as they are now, with the second teacher reporting any concerns to the homeroom teacher. Mrs. Diaz and Mrs. Nickle have the same planning period and are available to meet with you personally or together to address any concerns you may have with your child.

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us."

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2007

Better

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2007

Hello, fellow Texan! I think the updated better sounds great! scmom brought up the concern I would have if I were a parent about how they would be moving throughout the day, and you addressed that. Good luck!

11. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 9, 2007

Thanks ladies! :D

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 10, 2007

Okay-- I am more awake now. I notice a small issue with the suggestion I gave you. It should be: "....we will not only be able to monitor student learning more closely, but will also be able to support your child's learning much more effectively."
    :unsure:

13. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 10, 2007

Thank you, I made that change!:)