Parent Involvement

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by stac4742, Jul 29, 2008.

1. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Hello!

This upcoming school year, I am wanting to try some new things to get my parents more involved. I have learned that the more involved the parent, the more the student is involved ad engaged more in their learning and have a greater sense of seriousness about their education.
    I teach in a very low SES school where there is little to no parental involvement. I've been trying to understand the reasons why our parents shy away from coming to school.

In the past years, I have'nt felt very successful in connecting with my parents. This year I want to build a community with my students and their parents with one another. Here are just a few ideas. Please let me know what you think...

1.) Have monthly potluck dinners where I would buy the pizza, parents buy the side dishes. We will discuss the skills we're learning at the time, strategies the parents can try w/their kids at home, etc.

2.) Try to make a point to call each parent at least once a month to give a "praise report" of only positive things about their child.

3.)Home visits to each parent that were unable to come to parent-teacher conferences

4.)Maybe every 3 months, have a skate night where we meet a the local skating rink to have a night of fun together.

Well this is what I have so far, if you have others that you have tried or think would be cool, please let me know. Thank you!!! :love:

3. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

This sounds like a GREAT list. A lot of work for you, but a good pay-off that will really help support your students. Great ideas. Sorry I can't think of anymore off the top of my head besides the usual website/newsletter/field trips. I'll let you know if I do.

4. allyd

allyd Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I use my parents for Literature Circle leaders and for writing workshops. Even in a district such as mine, which is a "money district", there is a difficulty of getting all parents involved. I think sometimes it is just a sign of the times. Things are not the same as they used to be! (Unfortunately.)

5. stac4742

stac4742 Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Hi!
    Thanks so much for replying back!!
    Yes, these ideas will take some extra effort on my part, but I believe it may really pay off. We've got to get the parents aware and involved in their child's education. There has been research done that says after the 4th grade, parents really drop off, that could account for the "4th grade slump" where students start to disconnect from school because they are older now. But I believe there is hope for more and better parent involvement.
    Thanks again!!! :up:

6. Ms_B

Ms_B Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Wow! You have some really great ideas for engaging the parents. I wish I had some suggestions for you-you actually gave me a lot to think about with engaging parents this year. I really like the idea of having a potluck-whenever food is involved people are more apt to come and want to participate.

Good luck!