Parent Involvement

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Alexis, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Alexis

Alexis Rookie

Dec 30, 2002

I am a college student majoring in Elementary and Special Education. I am currently working on my Senior Honors Project, researching parent involvement. I would like to get the first-hand opinions of various teachers on the following questions:

1. Do you feel that your students' parents are as involved as they should be?

2. What do you, as a teacher do in your classroom to involve parents?

3. Does your school district try to involve parents? In what ways?

4. How would you describe an involved parent? An uninvolved parent?

5. How often do you communicate with parents, and in what context? (Positive, Negative, Informative, etc.)

Additional comments are welcome, and will be appreciated. I am looking forward to your replies. Thank you in advance.

***Information provided to me will be kept confidential.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Dec 31, 2002

I teach First Grade
    . Do you feel that your students' parents are as involved as they should be?

For the most part. I have parents that I see and talk to daily, becaus they pick up their children, and some that I see only druing conference time. But all are great about responding to letters and contatcing me when they have concerns.
    Our school does a lot to involve parents. I am in a Catholic school, and money/resources are limited. So we have parents who run our library program and also parents who come in for playground duty. Parents also run and head assembly programs, school wide events./ This year paretns volunteered to cook thanksgiving dinner for the whole school, and the kids did skits for entertainment. The doors to our school are always open!

An involved parent is one who is in touch with teachers, and in tune to what their child is doing in school. Involved parents take in initivive to meet with the teachers with concerns, looks over their childs homework, signs and returns tests on time, reads all notes that go home. Involved parents can be ones that are in the building alto, but I see that as being invloved with the school, some parents are just invloved with the class our their child, and that is okay too. Univolved parents are ones who dont show an interest in thier childs education, are never at school events, never see or talk to the teacher.
    5. How often do you communicate with parents, and in what context? (Positive, Negative, Informative, etc.)
    Weekly, a newsletter goes home every Friday, this updates the parents on what we have been doing academically, and lets them know about any news or special events. I also send notes home as needed for behaviro (positive and negative) I also make myself avaialbe via e mail (sepereate account just for school) and phone (school number only!)
    Additional comments are welcome, and will be appreciated. I am looking forward to your replies. Thank you in advance.

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 31, 2002

*I don't think parents are as involved as they should be. I have a lot of parents who tell me that they didn't know about the field trip tomorrow even though it was in the monthly newsletter, the permission slip was handed right to them and explained, and there was a big poster in the lobby reminding them. A lot of my parents also don't know what is going on with their child's education and growth.

Like the previous poster, the doors to our school are always open but few parents take advantage of that. I send out a monthly newsletter, once a week I write a note home to each parent about their child, there is a bulletin board in the lobby with a note I have to write each day to give the parents a general idea of what happened that day.

We sometimes have workshops for parents on different topics and parents are always encouraged to join us on field trips, come to parties, come in and read to the kids, have lunch with them, etc.

An involved parent knows what their child is learning about and what is going on in that child's classroom. The involved parent wants to know what they can do to help their child, helps the child with homework, and is interested in how their child is doing in school.
    The uninvolved parent is the one that doesn't know there is a field trip even after 10 reminders and a phone call. This parent doesn't know what is going on in their child's class or what their child is learning and is too busy to take time to find out.

Like I wrote before, I put out a monthly newsletter, write a note home once a week to each child's parents, and put the letter in the lobby on a daily basis. I also try to catch and talk to each parent a couple of times a week, whether it's positive or negative.

I work in a very low income area. A lot of the parents I deal with on a daily basis are working many jobs and are single parents. Most also speak very little if any English. I try to have things translated into Spanish but I still have very little parent involvement or sommunication with the parents. I understand that they work long hours and when they come to pick up their children they want to get them and go home. What I don't understand is how they can be so disconnected with what is going on with their children. I think they all want what's best for their children and I think they are doing them a disservice by not getting involved in and supporting their children's education now (I teach KG). Kids need their parents support and need to know that the parents value education also.:rolleyes:

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 1, 2003

I teach in a public school Charter program. My parents are required to fulfill 30 volunteer hours a year. Teachers are required to keep an internet newsletter as well as a weekly hardcopy version. (see schoolnotes.com)

Involve them on special activity days to help with projects. Set up a wish list so that they may purchase classroom items. Every Four dollars spent is equivalent to one volunteer hour.

Our school offers evening workshops for community involvement. We also ask parents to be active with fundraising activities.

An involved parent is one who may be at home supporting the education of the child. Providing materials for the child, fulfilling the classroom needs, attending school functions. These parents usually write letters for clarification or work on projects at home with their child before the deadline. Non involved parents are usually the ones who always say- how was i supposed to know or blame the child for not being aware of specifics. These are the parents who scramble to put together something at the last minute for child. letters or signatures dont get returned on the first notice....

I always have a weekly written newsletter that informs of the classroom lessons of the week, what is to come the following week, and reminders of dates and wish list needs. I also have an electronic web page with same if not similar information.I dont provide my phone number but provide an email address where I can be reached and will respond very promptly.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 1, 2003

forgot planners

Our school uses a planner book. The kids write homework in it and i jot notes in it to parents. SOme teachers require parents to sign it daily and document the evening book they read with their child. Its one more communication i provide to parents for those children whom need it daily as in behavior issues.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Jan 2, 2003

Teacherkasey, you send individual notes home for each child weekly?!! How do you manage that?! I think its a great idea, and a wonderful way to keep lines of communication open! Do you have a form letter that you just check off? I would love some more info about this!! Thanks for you help!!