Parent Info Questions!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

Hello! :love:

I teach first grade and this year my teammates and I want to send home a "getting to know your child/family" questionnaire. We want it to ask such questions like ~

how often do you read to your child?
    what is his/her bedtime?
    how many hours of TV does she/he watch?
    what are his/her fears?

Our kindergarten team does a questionnaire but I think it would be just as special in first grade to have one!
    Are questionniares like this too intrusive? Does anyone have one that they'd like to please share? I think it would be a good idea!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 21, 2007

Personally as a parent, I would feel a little judged with those questions. Even if I did answer, I might not be as truthful because those are questions that society often judges how good of a parent we are on the basis of some of these parenting questions. That's just my thought. Your intentions seem honorable but you might have some parents who don't recieve it that way.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

How about broad questions, like:

Tell me one thing you admire about your child?

Would you like to come visit the class and share special family or cultural customs with the children in our class?

What do you enjoy doing as a family?

I think the fears question is good. I agree with cutnglue that I would feel judged with those other questions.

Did your child reach his/her developmental milestones (walking, talking, etc.) within the typical range? (If not-- there may be other stuff going on in later learning.)

I can find out the other stuff, like watching TV, during a project when we write what do do each hour of the day. (you could do this every day for a week, and then do something with the results, like: how many hours a week do kids in our class watch tv? read? eat? sleep?) This would probably be hard for first grade... but as homework, mom and dad could do it with them. It would be a great math project.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

Does you child have a favorite book?
    Special toileting needs?
    Allergies or sensitivites?
    Any signs the child displays if he/she feels ill?
    Are there any issues we should be aware of, such as death in the family or of a family pet?

6. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I ask about family. Is there anything that wasn't on the regular forms that might be of importance to me? Fears? What makes them happy? What area would you like to see improvement? Is there something you are working on at home that--wearing glasses, thumbsucking, etc.? (Don't want to get into too many requests from Mommy?) Does your family have any special travel experiences, hobbies or interests that I might use in our studies? Would you be willing and able to share them? I also teach internationals visiting in the States for one year. I ask them about cultural and dietary differences. Would you be willing to share special holidays with us? Would you be willing to share a special food or snack with us? They are usually more than willing.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

I send home a questionnaire at the beginning of the year that asks basic questions like:

Who is in your family (including pets)?

What are your child's favorites (food, tv shows, color, etc)?

What do you feel are your child's educational strengths?

What do you feel are your child's educational weaknesses?

Is there anything else that can help me get to know your child?

I also send home another questionnaire about 2 weeks before parent/teacher conferences that helps me get an idea of what the parents' concerns are and how they feel their child is doing so far. Both surveys usually generate very positive feedback! :)

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

Awesome ideas!

In -no- way at all am I trying to be judgemental of our families ~ I just borrowed some questions from a previous survey I used and wondered if I should implement them.

Thank you all SO much for your help!

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I can't find a copy of the handout I send home to parents, but I ask questions like:

1. What are your child's strengths?
    2. What areas does your child need to improve in?
    3. Is your child allergic to anything?
    4. Does your child have any fears/insecurities?
    5. What does your child like to do in their spare time?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 21, 2007

We all knew you weren't trying to be judgemental. That's why we post things on this board. Feedback helps us gain another perspective. You are awesome! :love:

11. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

A parent activity I send home the first week is called "In a Million Words or Fewer..." Parents are asked to write, in a million words or fewer, anything they think is important for me to get to know their child. Most parents write 1-2 pages, one parent last year did an acrostic poem about her child. Some can get pretty creative! I had my students put this assignment in their portfolios at the end of the year. They loved reading what their parents said about them!