Parent handbook

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 2love2teach, Jun 30, 2008.

1. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jun 30, 2008

I would like to begin my parent handbook. Does anyone have any links for different formats?

3. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 30, 2008

Not a clue, but I think it's a good idea. :)

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 30, 2008

I'm interested in this too...it seems like I've seen some good ones online...I'll have to check out some things I've printed off and see if I can post the links...

5. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jun 30, 2008

o.k. thanks!

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

What are you thinking of putting in it?

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

Does your school already have a Parent Handbook? You might want to make sure your handbook doesn't contradict anything in the district handbook. Or if you are allowed to print one without the permission of your admin. I have to submit my syllabus, class procedures and rules to my admin for approval.

8. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I would like to put things like classroom roles, procedures, etc.. the basics

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

I have a parent handbook that goes over curriculum, grading procedures, homework policies, attendance policies, report cards, behavior, etc.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 1, 2008

Most districts have what is called a Parent's Handbook. It is developed by the district and is the final word of how things are handled uniformly by the district.

I think you might what to call yours "Ms. X's Classroom Policies and Procedures" or something along that line, so the two are not confused. If your district is anything like ours, they get very picky about such things.

11. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I am working on a homework handbook. It will mainly be a ways-to-work-with-your-child-in-regards-to-homework. I found last year's group needed a lot of guidance in ways to work with their children. I ended up sending the pages home separately as I developed them. I don't think enough parents took time to look at them as I was getting questions for weeks after on what they could work on at home. So, I figured it will be easier for them to keep track of a handbook.

There is an introductory page regarding some of our GLEs followed by pages for Reading, Spelling, High Freq. Words/Vocabulary Development. I listed a wide array of activities parents can do with their child. The activities reinforce those done in class.

I also plan to work on math pages as well.

It's a work in progress and I am interested in how others organize their own handbooks.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

13. UFgal1

UFgal1 Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

I usually do a newsletter for the first day of school. This year I am going to switch to a handbook. One link that I have found to be helpful as I work on mine is--- lauracandler.com its in the odds and end file cabinet.

This website has alot of helpful links and pdf files.

14. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 3, 2008

I didnt not the odds and ends link on the website

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2008

I make mine in word using test boxes.

16. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 4, 2008

I have no idea what grade you teach but here is a link to my parent handbook on my website- you can probably adapt it for your grade if you're elementary. I place the handbook pages inside a folder w/brads. I get the folders dirt cheap at the Staples/Office Max etc sales in the summer. I also created some helpful items to put inside the folder at Vista Print like a "First Day Checklist" and a brochure of "How to Help My Child..." in addition to my business card- you can see these creations here. We pass out the folder at our parent orientation meeting and we also show them a video that follows the parent handbook- you can see the video here.

17. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 4, 2008

I also teach my parents how to help their children at home through a video I made for the parents. I work in a very low SES high ESL area and the parents just don't know what to do so I made this video. I also created everything on paper and sent it home. I made viewing the video mandatory- I showed it at school one night and then by appointment at lunch and immediately after school until every parent had seen it. It really helped from having to repeat myself constantly and the parents seemed to understand it much better than the handouts.

18. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

I usually do a newsletter in Publisher to give parents, but I'm wondering if a handbook might be better. That way I can include tips on homework, how to be a successful student, etc. Do you think parents would prefer that to a newsletter?

19. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 4, 2008

You guys have some really good advice. I think I am going to create my handbook at put it the folders like Vannapk does. I would like to include rules, absentee notes (abcteach.com) reading strategies, suggested books, materials needed. tips to help children with math...Thats all I can think of for now. Do you think the parents will read it? I would hate to waste my time, money and paper.

20. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

2love2teach: That's my concern, too. I'm more than willing to put the handbook together but what if it goes into the trash before it's even read?

21. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

I have found my parents read the handbook, and refer to it throughout the year. I put a few extra copies of my weekly reading log in it, and found my parents use it when their kiddos misplaced theirs. I put it one of those penny folders, along with my business card magnet.

I also put some reading and math tips for parents inside the folder.

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 4, 2008

Mrs. Renz (type her name into Google) has one on her website, and maybe you can also get some ideas from http://www.mspowell.com.

23. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 5, 2008

If you just send it home they may not read it, but if it is presented to them at an open house, meet-the-teacher, or orientation type event they will be forced to listen and follow along in the handbook.

24. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 5, 2008

Great tips! I think Ill start working on it.

25. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 5, 2008

I do both a handbook at the beginning of the year and a weekly newsletter all year long. A weekly newsletter is part of our teacher appraisal system, we need to have it to document consistent parent communication.

26. Heart2Heart

Heart2Heart Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I use a handbook for my classroom that gives information that is specific for my room. Some things are general. On the first page I use a cover sheet that says, "Welcome to 2nd grade" with my name, room number, and a picture. The first page is a welcome letter. The second page is my philosophy, goals, and expectations for students and parents. The third page is my discipline plan with class rules and consequences. Then the other pages in the booklet have titles in bold and a few sentences about each. The titles are:

1. School Hours
    2. School Attendance
    3. Dismissal
    4. School Supplies/materials
    5. Personal belongings
    6. Homework Policy
    7. Parent Participation
    8. Field trips
    9. Money
    10. Birthdays
    11. Homework folders

I hope this helps.

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

If you do a communication or MOOSE folder/binder, you could put it in there.

28. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 6, 2008

MOOSE folder/Binder? What is it?

29. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 6, 2008

MOOSE folders

MOOSE folders are daily communication/organization folders. There are many different acronyms to fit your school or theme. I call mine BEAR books for Bring Everything Always Ready. You can read all about them here.

30. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

My school has a handbook so I write a "simple" letter. it is usually about 5 pages long!! it covers the basics!!

31. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Instead of making a handbook, I made a brochure. I called it Miss A's Guide to Second Grade. I was able to put all the information I wanted to and it was very easy and saves paper

32. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

Jul 8, 2008