parent gift ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by missapril81, Dec 13, 2007.

1. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Dec 13, 2007

I wanted to ask for some ideas on what you are having your kids make. I had a few ideas but then decided against them. Any ideas would be helpful

3. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Dec 15, 2007

I have been taking pictures of my students for the past several weeks to represent different months. We took one in front of the Christmas tree, one with a St. Patrick's day hat, one in front of a huge heart that says love, etc. We are going to make a calendar using their pictures. It's really cute. They are also making ornaments.

4. yorkyfan

yorkyfan Rookie

Dec 15, 2007

I work in a Montessori primary classroom (ages 3 - 6) with 19 kids and this is what we did: My lead teacher bought red and green ceramic mini bread loaf pans from Michael's craft store. He also got a tube of tacky glue and some snowflakes, glittery stars and sequins, floral foam, and a variety of dried and artificial greens. He cut up the greens into smaller pieces. The kids glued the snowflakes, stars and sequins onto the outside of the pan. They then placed a small rectangular block of floral foam into the pan. Then they stuck the greens into the foam to create a Christmas arrangement of their own design. The arrangements actually were quite beautiful.

5. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 16, 2007

I've done a calendar in the past. We did a handprint for each month though. The handprint went at the top, then a blank calendar page at the bottom. I put them in clear page protectors & binded them with a book binder. I thought they could copy & add blank calendars later for another years worth of using it. We made a Santa from our hand for December, Caterpillar fingerprints for April, Apple tree for September etc... It takes a TON of time to get it done though and you MUST start it way in advance. I don't have that kinda time in part time preschool. So, it was cute...but never again for me.

This year I am doing something different, never done it before. (Thanks C. for the idea if you ever read this website) I bought 3 packs of canvas from Michael's, the artist canvas. (The 9X12 were $3.97 for 3 and I used a 40% off coupon for each 3 pack, it was CHEAP) I painted the canvas green myself. (The kids could have done one coat and I could have went over, but I was running out of time) I hot glued a ribbon onto them it's red & white plaid. We were going to do the reindeer food/hand painting. I was again running low on time. I drew the outline of a reindeer head (with a template from a fellow teacher) and just used the kids hands for the antlers. I went back & painted the head. The kids are going to paint red noses & add glitter this week.

I'll take pictures, they're really cute though.

I usually spray paint picture frames white. I use stampin' up stamps that look like a kid drew a santa with a crayon (and tree, rudolph & snowman) The kids use "good" markers for coloring in the stamps and we add glitter touches. They stamp their name, we add a photo of the kid by our tree or with Santa at school. I do frames for Father's Day too though and I was just over them this year....

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 16, 2007

Okay, it looks like I am off to Michaels tomorrow after work! I guess, we can paint them green on Tuesday (once in AM and once before we go home) and do our rudolph on Wed. and Thursday.

Where are you going to put the glitter?

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 16, 2007

Monica,
    I did the calendar this year with my half day classes. I have 25 4 year-olds. You're right- it was a lot of work. We started the second week of school in September and finished the week after Thanksgiving. When we finished, I thought I wouldn't do it again, but when the parents received them last week, they were crying and thanking us profusely. I don't know......

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 16, 2007

I did the handprint calendar last year. I loved them and would do it again if I had a younger group of students. I did one month a day for 12 days (just the handprint)and then spent 2 days doing catch up for students who was absent one of those 2days. I then did 2 pages a day of the extras on each page (ie. decorating the tree, drawing the umbrella handle...) for 6 days.

9. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 16, 2007

Reindeer:

I am going to put paint a red circle for the nose. I plan to have the kids sprinkle on extra fine red glitter onto the red paint. I bought the extra fine glitter at Michael's too. It's more sparkly to me than the regular glitter. I :wub: it!! I'm still a little undecided about the eyes. Not sure if I'll paint them or we'll glue on wiggle eyes.

Advice: Paint them early in the morning for both coats. Be sure the kids use a small amount of paint, then go over them relatively quickly with your 2nd coat. It takes them awhile to dry fully. I used acrylic paint for the green coats. (Kelly Green) It covered very nicely.

Also... we used our regular "school" brown paint for them to do their hands. I WISH I would have let them use acrylic paint for that too!! Our paint at school took FOREVER to dry!! I don't know why? I used a thin layer on their hands too. I don't get it. I'd planned to paint the reindeer heads myself over the weekend, but couldn't bring them home Thursday with me b/c they were still wet. Then I had things to do and couldn't run get them. I'm going early in the morning to get started.

I'll try to remember to take & post a picture. They are darling! I think I'll hot glue a piece of Christmas like scrapbook paper on the back. Then somewhere I have a poem about how it's made from my hands...yadda yadda... and I'll tape it to the back. Maybe- We'll see. Depends on my time frame. Our last day is Thursday & I wanted the kids to be able to wrap them on Wednesday, we'll see how all this goes......

Handprint calendar: my kids were whining BIG TIME by the end... "Please, don't paint my hand again...." It just got old. If we'd have started in September and done one every other week, maybe. I just don't have the kind of time to be painting everyone's hand all for just that one craft. It was cute and the parents love it... I just don't see it happening again.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 16, 2007

Monica,

Did you make the antlers brown too? I was going to use craft paint on their hands and to paint the reindeer head. I'll just make sure that they are wearing a paint shirt and that they wash their hands right away.

11. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 16, 2007

Proud2B- What a great idea of doing the handprints in 12 days. We have parent helpers who can do the "touch ups."

MissApril- Type in "snowman ornament" search in this forum. We also did this one. It is cheap, quick, and beautiful. I used one bottle of acrylic paint .50 cents and an ornament for each child. You can finish this in a day.

12. zawa

zawa Rookie

Dec 16, 2007

I've been working on ours for a week now and have 3 ornaments with handprints on them and no finishing touches on any of them. Yikes. Going to be a busy week. But to do them, I have to wait for a time when all 3 teachers are in the room so I can snag one kid at a time to go to the hall to do it. And the kids (all 1 year old) are not into actually having to wrap their hands around the ornaments, so it takes a few attempts for each kid and some touch ups. Would probably work much better with kids who are old enough to willingly wrap their fingers around an ornament while coated in paint.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 16, 2007

Yikes! That sounds awful!!! I have a class of 4 to 5 year-olds. It is a piece of cake for us. They add the eyes, mouth and buttons, and we do the hat and arms.

14. monica

monica Comrade

Dec 17, 2007

Here he is! :D:D:D:D

[​IMG]

15. sdj284

sdj284 Rookie

Dec 18, 2007

I love this and might try this next year. soooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Dec 18, 2007

snowflake picture

I made a gift with each child's picture on a document with the poem "Each snowflake is unique and so am I." Under the poem, I put Merry Christmas, December 2007 OR Happy Eid, December 2007 for the Christian and Muslim children I teach. Then we helped the kids to make unique snowflakes. Each child named a shape and quantity of shape and we cut the shapes into the snowflake (they were too thick for the children to cut themselves) for the child. Then the sheets were laminated and sent home for keepsake gifts. :D

17. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Dec 18, 2007

We made candy cane heart ornaments (glued 2 candy canes to gether to shape a heart) and tied green curly ribbon on to make a loop to hang. then i printed out a cute picture of each child, glued it to green paper, and wrote on the back "Happy Holidays 2007! Love, Your Child", covered it in contact paper and glued that to the front of the ornament. They turned out pretty cute - and were simple to make! :)

18. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Dec 20, 2007

We made a christmas tree ornament. They colored and cut it out. Then we glued a star on top with their picture on it. Something real quick and easy! :)

19. remus

remus New Member

Dec 29, 2007

Hello,
    If somebody has an idea about unique gifts for a child please drop me a message.
    It will be much appreciated.

20. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Dec 31, 2007

Girls, you have a lot of energy. That is just too much work for me. We made snowman. Each child got 3 thread spools which they painted white. After the spools dried the kids added the face and buttons. We then threaded them onto ribbons and that was it. Last year we did the handprint with the ornament. They turned out great.