Parent Email Overload!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Quote, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Quote

Quote New Member

Oct 29, 2012

I'm helping my fiance who just graduated this Spring and was hired as a fourth grade teacher at a new school, but we are both unsure about what to do with one of the parents.
    Nikki (my fiance) receives almost daily emails from this parent with multiple questions. This parent is always trying to get as much information as possible about her students' progress. Nikki is very understanding and professional in her communications, but she is already overworked and doesn't have the time to write a clear response to these emails (They usually have 3-5 questions that require complex answers). She posts homework online and gives detailed instructions to students, but this parent is not a native English speaker.
    How should Nikki deal with this situation? She is always happy to email parents, but this one is very insistent and taking huge chunks of time from her already crazy schedule.
    I'm really worried that Nikki is going to work too hard and burn herself out in the first few years, but I guess that's a problem for another post. For now, I just want to find a way to help reduce the disproportionate amount of time and energy this parent requires. Thanks! :D

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2012

Nikki should seek advice from her administrator.

I might also recommend that Nikki wait 24 hours to respond if she isn't already doing that. She should definitely not respond outside of contract hours, including weekends and holidays.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2012

:yeahthat:

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2012

This.

She should not be at this parents every beck and call.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2012

I think it's very kind of you to be concerned. :)

I agree with the advice already given. The parent WILL take note if Nikki doesn't respond immediately...and that's good. The parent needs to know Nikki will not drop everything to respond to her every question immediately. It's possible one of two things will happen as a result. One, the parent will "wake up" and realize she can't possibly demand so much, or two, she'll become upset and speak to an administrator. I am sure Nikki has kept the emails online to show she has in fact responded within twenty-four hours to each email, and that there are a lot of them. Most any administrator would support your fiance.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2012

I would definitely run this situation by an administrator. In my building, if a parent is sending too many emails, our administration will require all emails to be sent to them and they will forward the important ones to the teacher.

I agree with waiting until the end of the work day to respond to any emails sent by the parent (we have to respond within 24 hours). But I would only send one email to the parent answering all emails sent throughout the night and day.

Another strategy is to let the parent know you received the information and will get back to them later this week. Then you have acknowledge the email, can answer any quick questions, and can take the time to compose an email that answers any longer questions (so instead of sending one everyday, send one lengthy one every week).

8. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 30, 2012

24 hours of/within a school/business day, I hope? If I clear out my email at the end of the day on Friday, I would hope the 24 hour clock doesn't start until Monday at the beginning of the school day.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2012

Parents will drive you crazy if you let - do everything in your power not to let them. Tell your fiance to be careful what "doors she opens" because once she sets certain standards for her interactions with parents, they will expect it all the time (if that makes sense).

10. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Nov 3, 2012

Here's a thought............

Step 1: "Select All"

Step 2: "Delete"

Problem solved!

;)

11. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Nov 9, 2012

My problem is with a parent sending notes in the planner, then calling the principal and complaining that the special ed teacher and classroom teachers do not care about them and their child. She also writes very "interesting" notes in the planner, such as, "WHAT KIND OF SCHOOL IS THIS?" and "You said the test would be today, but what he brought home said STUDY GUIDE. He got an A, but there are spelling misteaks (yes, spelled this way by the parent) and things aren't capitalized. I don't think it was graded right." It was for a history test, and the child got an A on it.

My administrator is sick of this parent, as are all of the teachers that interact with her children. It's driving us crazy!

12. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 9, 2012

Another idea is to try to set up a physical conference.