Parent contacts

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by karebear76, Sep 7, 2011.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 7, 2011

I've always been under the impression that the law dictated 3 contacts to try to get parent involvement in the meeting (I'm talking annual review, not initials) and if we could prove 3 attempts, and parent didn't show at meeting, then we could have the meeting and send home prior written notice.

We're now being told (thanks to the state audit) that you send invite to parent. If they return the invite saying they're coming, that counts as 1 contact. If they do not show up, we must reschedule the meeting with a different type of contact, so a phone call. If they do not show up again, a 3rd meeting must be rescheduled with a different type of contact. If they do not show up the 3rd time, we can hold the meeting.

Is this the intent of IDEA?? Do you do it this way at your school?

The way I figure it, I'm going to have to send the invitations out 30-45 days BEFORE the end date of the IEP, to allow for all this to happen and keep in compliance. We have to give parents 15 days notice of a meeting.

I'm spinning with each day, and new bits of info shared. :dizzy:

3. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 7, 2011

Schedule your annual reviews to happen one month prior to the deadline for them. That way, you can send out your notice (invitation), and follow-up from there.

4. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Sep 7, 2011

This is how my district does it:

1st attempt: Call to schedule meeting
    2nd attempt: Invitation sent
    3rd attempt: Confirmation day before meeting

If the parent does not show up to the meeting after these attempts then the meeting can be held. Of course there are exceptions to this.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 7, 2011

That's the way we do it now, MissAnt. Maybe a little variation, but 3 contacts, then meet. We're being told that we can't do it like that anymore.

I'm already 18 days or less from end date on 13 of my 17 students. So I'm totally screwed as far as compliance timelines if I have no shows. :(

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 7, 2011

I am no expert, but some parents of the few ARDS I have attneded have given written conset to have the meeting without them and many times they have waived the 15 day consent because a date was scheduled over the phone for a time everyone was available. No idea if this helps you.

7. Nate

Nate Companion

Sep 8, 2011

We're doing it as mentioned above, but we haven't been audited yet. Now I'm nervous.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2011

We've always been told to hold the meeting without the parent if they don't show up, in order to be in compliance with timelines. I know my district was audited the year before I came, so apparently that didn't change. I feel like it's an undue burden on the school to reschedule a meeting 3 times for a parent that won't come in. Now if the parent calls ahead of time and says that time doesn't work for them, that would be okay. But to have everything prepared and have everyone sitting there waiting for the meeting to happen, and then reschedule it TWO more times? We need an interpreter for almost every meeting we hold, and we only have one who is available two hours a week for our entire k-8 school. So we already have our meetings scheduled now for the rest of the year, and it's a tight schedule. If the parent didn't show up, we wouldn't be out of compliance to wait for the meeting (since we do try to schedule them weeks before they're due), but the interpreter would most likely already be booked. I have two parents that have never come to any meetings, conferences, open house or anything like that since their children have been in school. With them, of course we still send out the invites and call, but we pretty much know they won't come. So right there that's at least two that we'd all have to change our schedules around numerous times for. If I have a meeting without a parent, I send the draft IEP home with the procedural safeguards, call to tell them it's coming, and offer to meet with them personally at a time of their choice if they'd like to come in and discuss anything on the IEP. We don't generally have them "locked down" until 2 weeks after the meeting, so if the parent does come in and has an issue with something, I can still change it. If it's after that, we can always amend.

I also wonder about the "contacting in a different way" part 3 times. We always send NOMs home in the mail, with the kid in their backpack (no joke, I literally send like 15) and we call the parent a few days before the meeting to remind them. Does sending the NOM through mail/through the kid count as 2 different ways? Otherwise I'm not thinking of how we could contact in 3 different ways, since the only other thing I can think of is e-mail and a lot of our parents don't use it. Personally, I also have a problem with scheduling review meetings WAY before they're due (even a month or 6 weeks) because that doesn't give the kid the full time to pass their goals. My kids know their goals and track their progress toward completing them...so at my school it IS a big deal if a student doesn't meet a goal.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 9, 2011

Phone call
    Registered Mail

Whenever i'd have an IEP meeting, the school would just send it certified mail.

although one year we never got an IEP notice.

the school held the meeting without my parents permission and decided to "reword" a few accommodations without telling us