Parent Conference

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by katydid205, Mar 7, 2010.

1. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Mar 7, 2010

I have a student who is average and is really doing a great job. She reads on grade-level and is very social. The mom thinks she is doing great, but the dad is concerned she is way behind the other students. I have explained how she is right where she needs to be, but we're having another conference this week. How can I assure him that she truly is a great student??

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 7, 2010

Does your school do AR? When I've had parents concerned I will have a child do Star Testing, even when it's not the regular time for it, then print the results. It's a good measuring tool. Also, if you have noticed areas she could improve in (study habits, math facts, etc) you can explain how she is doing fine, but improving an area like that could move her even higher. Sometimes parents feel better when they have something specific to work on with their child.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2010

Have work samples available, running records or other assessments of her reading, tests...Explain to the parents that you look at each student individually and while the dad may want to compare her to other students that is not the focus of your teaching- we teach each child according to his or her needs, differentiating instruction to facilitate their understanding and progress. Point to work samples (do you have some from beginning of year that you can compare to now?) and show how her work is appropriate for her grade and developmental level. Discuss what you are doing to help her grow in her thinking, upcoming units, ideas on how they can support her progress at home...and reassure them that you are so proud of the progress she is making, how she is a great kid, a capable learner and that you have confidence in her continued good work.

5. wrice

wrice Habitué

Mar 7, 2010

You've tried already, perhaps there is no reassuring this dad. Ask him what his hopes and fears are for his child. If he has specific concerns or alternative goals perhaps you can address those directly, and give ideas for remediation in areas the father thinks she is not as strong.

I bet either this dad has some deficiencies he sees in himself (bad at math?) and is projecting his schoolage problems on his daughter, or this dad hears other dads say their kindergardener is reading Harry Potter and because his daughter isn't, she won't get into Harvard. Get him to be specific about his concerns and then offer ways to improve. Average isn't good enough for him.

Throughout, be professional, cordial, even a bit funny; and have a few anecdotes about his daughter ready that show you have a good understanding of her personality and talents.

Good luck!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 8, 2010

Whenever I have meetings with parents of children who are struggling, I normally have the student's work samples available, along with work samples of students who are ON grade level. I believe that it's important for parents to know where their child stands in comparison with the other students.

With that said, you can do the opposite. Have work samples available from students who are below/slightly below grade level. Then, compare those samples with the work that this little girl is producing.

Also, have your class test scores available. Show the parent that his daughter is scoring just as high as the majority of the class.

Have you tested her oral reading fluency? If so, have that score available, along with a printout that shows where 2nd graders should be at this time of year (probably in the high 70s per minute).

I hope this helps! =)

7. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Mar 9, 2010

wow- that's tough. i wouldn't indulge him by giving him comparisons to other students. i would explain to him (which you probably already have) that she is doing great. YOU are the teacher - you are the one who knows. if he doesn't trust that, well, seems like some issues you can't control. i would show him work samples like the others suggested and just reassure him that she is doing fine. you could always suggest that he homeschool? just kidding.