Parent Conference w/ Principal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jayz_gal2004, Dec 20, 2014.

?

Would you allow the student ANOTHER opportunity to submit the homework assignment?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2014.
  1. Yes

60.5%
  2. No way!

11.6%
  3. Only if instructed by administration to do so.

25.6%
  4. Refuse, regardless of administrative directive.

2.3%
  1. jayz_gal2004

jayz_gal2004 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014

I have a parent who would like to meet with my principal and me regarding my lack of communication and allowance of opportunities for her son to earn his grade. However, her claims are utterly preposterous. Here is the scoop.....please give your opinion and advice.

A homework activity was assigned on the 8th and was to be turned in on the 12th. The student was present in class when the assignment was given, however, he missed class on the 10th-12th due to illness. Upon return to school on the 15th the student was to submit the homework assignment per class policy (If you are absent the day the assignment is due, you must turn it in upon return to school). The student did not have the assignment on the 15th. Therefore, I gave him an additional opportunity to turn it in the next day. The next day rolls around and he did not turn it in. Mom emailed me and asks why he has a zero and I explained the aforementioned. She was not satisfied with my effort, or lack there of in her opinion, to allow him the opportunity to earn his grade.

As far as communication, I keep all parent emails. I have many from said parent and they will all show prompt responses with detailed information and flexibility.

I feel that this parent is trying to "strong arm" me into giving the child ANOTHER opportunity to do the assignment. I do not believe an additional opportunity is justified. What do you think?

Would you allow the student ANOTHER opportunity?

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2014

I think it depends on why the student was absent. The reality is school policies are often perfect scenarios and life is not.

If the child had the flu (fever, aches, cough, headache, etc) from the day after the assignment was assigned until right before he came in, I can understand the Mom's unhappiness with the situation. Trying to make up all the work and get it in the day you return when you have been that ill is near impossible.

Teachers make exceptions all the time for kids that are out multiple days due to illness.

You don't say why he was absent for multiple days. Was he ill?

If he was on a band trip or on vacation, I can understand taking the hard line, but if the child was sick with one of the terrible illnesses going around (not deadly but feeling so awful you can't do anything), I can see why she might be peeved.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

Why was he absent and how long was the assignment? I think giving him one extra day was sufficient, unless it was a very involved assignment and depending on why he was out.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 20, 2014

What was the assignment? Is it possible the student left the assignment in their desk and couldn't complete it while sick. My school gives one day per absence to make up work, so my P would allow an additional 3 days on the homework if they were out 3 days.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 20, 2014

Agreed with the above. Why was the student out? I would've likely allowed the student to turn in the assignment on the 18th.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

I would have done the same thing as you. Depending on which principal was in the meeting, I might be totally thrown under the bus in front of the parent and told to give one more opportunity. I've had some wimpy principals that would cave in a heartbeat.

My advice to you: print out the emails, get a copy of the assignment, have a calendar of the month and speak with the principal ahead of time.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

And to me, it doesn't really matter WHY the child was absent for those two days. He had two days before he got sick to work on the assignment and a whole weekend after he was sick. Plus an extra day upon returning. If the child was unable to get the assignment done over the weekend, he should have stated so when he was approached on the 15th.

What grade is this?

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

Be wary of double posts in this forum

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 20, 2014

The threads have been merged.

jayz_gal2004, A to Z forum rules discourage multiple threads at the same time on the same topic by the same member. The site owner's rationale - and I agree - is that scattering the discussion dilutes it and makes it harder to follow. in future, indulge our preferences, please.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 20, 2014

My school has the same policy. The school I taught at before has the same policy. I would give the child at least 3 days to turn in the missing work.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2014

Yes - I never turn down/away an assignment a student has completed unless the grading period is over.

HW, in-class assignments, tests; I always allow students to make up things at later dates - especially if they were absent. Depending on the assignment, I may take points off but that is rare.

13. jayz_gal2004

jayz_gal2004 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014

The child is a 6th grade student.
    The assignment was to find and/or write lyrics containing figurative language. He was to write a total of 14 sentences.
    Furthermore, the parent requested his make-up work to be completed while he was absent. The child completed all make-up work, for all classes. However, he did not complete the assigned homework that he was given 2 days prior to his absence.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 20, 2014

Sounds like you have everything well documented. Present this information at the conference and then follow your principal's lead.

15. jayz_gal2004

jayz_gal2004 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014

Parent conferences make me a nervous wreck! I feel that this parent in particular is trying to bully me into allowing her child extra time. I am usually very forgiving and allow students multiple opportunities. However, I have already made exceptions for said student in the past. This has happened once before and I caved.I informed her of the policy and gave him extra time. I do not want to under mind my own policy over and over again.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if he was capable of completing all other make-up work, he was capable of completing my assignment.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

Ours has a similar policy. But since this assignment was assigned BEFORE the student went out, it wouldn't apply. It is only for make-up work, which this was not.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

be sure to mention that this is a pattern when you speak privately with your principal ahead of time.

I agree, if he was able to do the other assignments (were they easier, by chance?), he should have been able to do the one assigned before his absence.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

Not if he didn't have it with him. Do you know if the student brought it home with him when he went out sick? Did you include it in the makeup work you sent home?

19. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 20, 2014

Not to be contradictory, but I teach 7th grade; I still allow my students to turn in work even if it's 5 weeks late, for example. I only turn a blank space into a 0 if it's 3 or more weeks late, but I'd still take the assignment if the student turned it in.

My exception is homework. We are not allowed to grade homework for accuracy, we only do an "average for homework completion." I do not accept late homework, since I'm grading on their ability to turn in a completed assignment, I expect for it to be done when assigned. If a student was absent on the due date, I would give them at least 1 week to turn it in. If the student was absent when it was assigned, I give them the work and then if they turn it in I give them credit, if they don't it doesn't count against them (they don't know that of course). It's hard enough to get them to turn in all of the GRADED work, I'm not going to die on the homework hill.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2014

What was the purpose of the homework assignment? Was it to practice a skill? Does the practice become less meaningful if it is done a few days later than it should have been?

21. El sol

El sol Rookie

Dec 20, 2014

Depending on time of given units, two or more missed days can be critical for students to catch up. Giving an additional day or the amount of days missed to make up work will not be a problem for many but there are some who will struggle doing double duty regardless of organizational skills or the seriousness towards responsibilities.

I had a student who missed 6 days. That's one complete week and a day. I knew, because of the timing for all the other classes' units and the time of year, it was going to be rough for that student to make up everything in just 6 days. I know the districts have rules but, realistically, students will often struggle outside class.

The fact that is now a conference with the principal involved is a sign that you should give a clear yes. The explanation for the change of mind can be anything you consider acceptable, even if not true.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2014

My initial thought- if I had a dime for every time we ended up with a snow day and I didn't bring extra stuff home with me to work on, I'd have a couple dollars. You can't always feel an illness coming on. He might have known he couldn't work on it that evening (practice, church, whatever) so he left it at school and then got sick.

That said, the fact that they requested make-up work changes it a bit. Plus it sounds like an assignment that really didn't need materials if they had in fact been left behind.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 20, 2014

When is the meeting? I would talk to your P before the meeting if possible to make sure you're on the same page.

24. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 20, 2014

Also, if a parent were to ever challenge me on an assignment, I would go with whatever they requested. It is their child after all. If they are okay with their child not meeting expectations as far as deadlines and responsibilities are concerned, that is ultimately their problem.

25. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 20, 2014

14 sentences? That is it? You gave him plenty of make up time. It wasn't like he had to make a 3D model science project with a 20 page report to go with it.

26. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

Oh my goodness. I'd have to work a week into summer to get all the grading done if I had this policy.

Trust me, plenty of parents are just okay with their kids never learning responsibility or other essential character traits as long as they get an A.

27. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2014

Me too.

Also, my Admin does not like teachers refusing to accept late work if a student takes the time to do it. My P feels that taking points off is a fair compromise, but that many teachers don't want to make this compromise in order to make a point and teach the child a lesson.

28. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2014

In my experience, if the child and their parents want the points/grade; they will find a way to make up the assignment. If they don't care, they won't. Giving them extra time to do so is never the real issue because if the child wants the grade, they will eventually get it done.

29. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 20, 2014

As a mom, I am not one of those parents, I would tell the teacher to give my kid a 0 as a life learning lesson.

For parents who are not this way, it's their kid---their
    responsibility to raise them according to their values. If their values are in the toilet, that's their problem.

With that said, I would acquiesce to the parents' demand, but I would also diplomatically say (in a sweet by undertoned way) the aforementioned: " it's your child; you're instilling the values. I won't stand in the way of instilling your values."

30. jayz_gal2004

jayz_gal2004 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014

The assignment was a homework assignment, and like you, our school has the same policy. I allow students to turn in classwork and tests weeks later (w/ deductions of course).

31. jayz_gal2004

jayz_gal2004 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014

I am going to talk with my P on Monday to make sure that we have a clear goal for the meeting. I hate being blind sided and not knowing what to expect.

32. jayz_gal2004

jayz_gal2004 Rookie

Dec 20, 2014

The activity was an extension of what was taught/learned in class. I wanted the students identify the use of figurative language in their favorite songs and/ or make-up sentences containing figurative language. The purpose was to show students that figurative language was commonly used in everyday life.Afterwards, students were to analyze their lyrics/ sentences to determine literal meaning.

The assignment did not become less meaningful, however, I think that question is irrelevant. As an adult and employee we are given deadlines on a regular basis. If we fail to meet the deadline we suffer the consequences. The work is still meaningful!

In my case, the student did not produce any work. So there isn't a product/ assignment for which we could attach meaning.

33. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Dec 20, 2014

I would, because the child was out sick for three days. Assuming they were ill, I'd give three extra days to complete the assignment to make up for it.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2014

What position is your P taking?

35. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 20, 2014

When I'm sick, I don't feel like doing anything. I just want to sleep. I would offer a longer extension than one day.

36. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 21, 2014

Student was out sick. He had work to turn in work from other classes. He did not turn in the required assignment for your class. The student was sick at home and unable to do any work. That's the situation.

I would have given him two to three days upon his return to complete the assignment for your class. One day for each absence and perhaps an extra day depending on the circumstances.

I used to talk with the other teachers and see what other types of assignments an absent student had to make up. Sometimes those assignments are hard to complete when you have been sick and just want to go home and veg.

The student has had issues with turning in assignments in the past. Were they the exact same circumstances?

What do you want out of this situation?

37. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2014

It truly is irrelevant that the parent requested work to be completed when absent. It could be that she expected her child to get better or be feeling better than he was. Just because it was requested doesn't mean the child is well enough to do it.

38. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 23, 2014

Asking for work is irrelevant, completing the missed work (easier work?) INSTEAD of the work that was assigned when the child was well, is very relevant.

39. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 23, 2014

Honestly though, it makes perfect sense that the missed work got done, but this assignment didn't. That was what mom asked for, and that's what would have been sitting in front of the student. Unless the student brought home the assignment, or unless it was included with the make-up work, it is quite likely that mom never knew about it, and the student was overwhelmed and forgot about it.